I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness

Dex-chan lover
Well, it does remind me of the elf one, which isn’t bad.

certain inevitable pitfalls aside (basically acting like a pet, threatening to end himself to get his way, etc), it fills the fluffy quota. Hope more comes out regularly.

Is that a legitimate question, cause I can take another look and let you know.

Unsurprisingly sexist folks tend to respond emotionally and go trolling, but it's boring and not worth the effort to engage with.
since they didn’t respond, I’ll say I would really like to know how you find this sexist. I genuinely don’t see how it could be.

Supporter
I'm not going to reread it, cause I didn't like it very much in the first place.

But from what I remember, the female mc has about 2 character traits. Pathetic and earnest. She exists only to glorify the male MC who "saves" her.

She's really just a caricature of a woman that suits the Japanese 'ideal' demure woman.

The whole thing from start to finish is sexist.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not going to reread it, cause I didn't like it very much in the first place.

But from what I remember, the female mc has about 2 character traits. Pathetic and earnest. She exists only to glorify the male MC who "saves" her.

She's really just a caricature of a woman that suits the Japanese 'ideal' demure woman.

The whole thing from start to finish is sexist.
So, because the story starts with the concepts of "damsel in distress" and "sheltered princess", it's all bad?
Even though this lady grows her character throughout the story, and even develops her own magic specialty.
Also, other female characters are introduced with their own character and strength.

You're dismissive for the wrong reasons.

I can understand not liking this story. Nobody will force you to. It's all subjective.
But your stated reasons are objectively wrong.

Supporter
So, because the story starts with the concepts of "damsel in distress" and "sheltered princess", it's all bad?
Even though this lady grows her character throughout the story, and even develops her own magic specialty.
Also, other female characters are introduced with their own character and strength.

You're dismissive for the wrong reasons.

I can understand not liking this story. Nobody will force you to. It's all subjective.
But your stated reasons are objectively wrong.
I'm not dismissive. I'm just pointing out it's sexist.

You are treating it like I'm having an opinion, but there is a whole field of study related to this kind of thing.

You should take some time to look at your emotional response to my post, and try to notice why it bothered you. The emotional response to "defend" this is your embodied experience of sexism, and your defense of it is you actively propagating and defending sexism.

You get to choose how you interact with sexism, I choose to simply point it out when it bothers me. I wouldn't have even said anything else if someone hadn't asked. I don't have that much emotional involvement with it. If I did it would be really exhausting. This stuff is literally everywhere. Lol

Dex-chan lover
I'm not dismissive. I'm just pointing out it's sexist.

You are treating it like I'm having an opinion, but there is a whole field of study related to this kind of thing.

You should take some time to look at your emotional response to my post, and try to notice why it bothered you. The emotional response to "defend" this is your embodied experience of sexism, and your defense of it is you actively propagating and defending sexism.

You get to choose how you interact with sexism, I choose to simply point it out when it bothers me. I wouldn't have even said anything else if someone hadn't asked. I don't have that much emotional involvement with it. If I did it would be really exhausting. This stuff is literally everywhere. Lol
Just to be sure...

When a shonen story starts with a weak male protagonist who then grows over time in power and/or personality, is that fine?
If so, you're the sexist one for dismissing a story where the exact same thing happens to a woman.
If not, you're basically dismissing a lot of literature... basically a large part of the catalog of classic "hero's journey". But at least, you're a proper gender-equality defender.

That being said, nothing in your or my comment "bothers" me.
I simply disagreed with you on your judgement of the story as "sexist from start to finish". Maybe because you didn't bother reading enough to see character growth beyond her original "demure" demeanor. Or maybe because I read more into this story than you do.
Also, said growth is slow but more believable than some overnight change from "powerless fugitive from a powerful royal figure" to "badass independent woman who answers to nobody" (or whatever other stereotype would satisfy your totally-not-sexist standards).

So far, I see you as "sexist" (as much as you seem to think the story is) because your idea of a woman excludes ones who have been victims of violence and tread the long path to recovery. Or maybe your problem is that she needs some help along the way and said help is mostly provided by the ML? Regardless, you have a view on women that specifically excludes certain roles.

You're also "sexist" in that you see the male lead as the only one who's "benefiting" from the story. But he doesn't, not as you described it at least. He's powerful with magic and quite proud of it, but otherwise far from perfect... instead he's got a very flawed personality. Little to no social skills in particular.
So he wants to help his "damsel in distress", but he stumbles and makes mistakes, as he learns that magic power doesn't just solve everything. And that's apparent from pretty early, just past his initial attempts to "corrupt" her with sweets. He isn't just "glorified" by a "demure" lady. If anything, he is humbled by the experience. (A little... he's still choking on his pride most of the time.)

Plus, you're ignoring all the other characters (mail lady, ML's sister, FL's sister, Hell Capybara) who are extremely far from the "demure" template. But that probably doesn't count in your opinion because of the one lady who fails to meet your surely-not-sexist standards.

So, at most, one character can be - superficially - read as a sexist stereotype; on a longer term, even this one character subverts the stereotype eventually.

Your memory and/or understanding of what little of the story you've read shows your bias.

I might be wrong about you, but so far you haven't provided anything to support your point except a summarized idea of the story... that happens to be wrong. This is what I called dismissive in my previous comment. And the only point you've added in your reply is a vague reference to "a whole field of study". I also call that dismissive. Which you have every right to be, but I'm amused by your denial.

But ultimately, as I said, nobody is forcing you to like and read the story. Or preventing you from denouncing what you didn't like either. (I've done that in the comment sections of other works. Even been told to "shut up if I don't like the story" a few times.)
Much like nobody is forcing me to accept your judgement of the story. Or preventing me from expressing my disagreement.

That's the whole point of comment sections. Discussion. Exchange of ideas. Preferably polite, without the need for explicit or implicit insults. If that bothers you, you're obviously still free to stay and comment, but I don't recommend it. There are healthier hobbies than accumulating stress.

Now, I'm mildly curious about your answer to the question I started this comment with.
Otherwise, I think I'm done.

Supporter
Just to be sure...

When a shonen story starts with a weak male protagonist who then grows over time in power and/or personality, is that fine?
If so, you're the sexist one for dismissing a story where the exact same thing happens to a woman.
If not, you're basically dismissing a lot of literature... basically a large part of the catalog of classic "hero's journey". But at least, you're a proper gender-equality defender.

That being said, nothing in your or my comment "bothers" me.
I simply disagreed with you on your judgement of the story as "sexist from start to finish". Maybe because you didn't bother reading enough to see character growth beyond her original "demure" demeanor. Or maybe because I read more into this story than you do.
Also, said growth is slow but more believable than some overnight change from "powerless fugitive from a powerful royal figure" to "badass independent woman who answers to nobody" (or whatever other stereotype would satisfy your totally-not-sexist standards).

So far, I see you as "sexist" (as much as you seem to think the story is) because your idea of a woman excludes ones who have been victims of violence and tread the long path to recovery. Or maybe your problem is that she needs some help along the way and said help is mostly provided by the ML? Regardless, you have a view on women that specifically excludes certain roles.

You're also "sexist" in that you see the male lead as the only one who's "benefiting" from the story. But he doesn't, not as you described it at least. He's powerful with magic and quite proud of it, but otherwise far from perfect... instead he's got a very flawed personality. Little to no social skills in particular.
So he wants to help his "damsel in distress", but he stumbles and makes mistakes, as he learns that magic power doesn't just solve everything. And that's apparent from pretty early, just past his initial attempts to "corrupt" her with sweets. He isn't just "glorified" by a "demure" lady. If anything, he is humbled by the experience. (A little... he's still choking on his pride most of the time.)

Plus, you're ignoring all the other characters (mail lady, ML's sister, FL's sister, Hell Capybara) who are extremely far from the "demure" template. But that probably doesn't count in your opinion because of the one lady who fails to meet your surely-not-sexist standards.

So, at most, one character can be - superficially - read as a sexist stereotype; on a longer term, even this one character subverts the stereotype eventually.

Your memory and/or understanding of what little of the story you've read shows your bias.

I might be wrong about you, but so far you haven't provided anything to support your point except a summarized idea of the story... that happens to be wrong. This is what I called dismissive in my previous comment. And the only point you've added in your reply is a vague reference to "a whole field of study". I also call that dismissive. Which you have every right to be, but I'm amused by your denial.

But ultimately, as I said, nobody is forcing you to like and read the story. Or preventing you from denouncing what you didn't like either. (I've done that in the comment sections of other works. Even been told to "shut up if I don't like the story" a few times.)
Much like nobody is forcing me to accept your judgement of the story. Or preventing me from expressing my disagreement.

That's the whole point of comment sections. Discussion. Exchange of ideas. Preferably polite, without the need for explicit or implicit insults. If that bothers you, you're obviously still free to stay and comment, but I don't recommend it. There are healthier hobbies than accumulating stress.

Now, I'm mildly curious about your answer to the question I started this comment with.
Otherwise, I think I'm done.

It's a pretty common response by a person in a position of privilege to demand that someone do the labor to "convince" them.

Not my job nor am I inclined to waste my time on it.

Take good care of yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread