I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12

That note at the end saying “this is legit why we picked up the manga because I am a troll at heart” and the fact that she’s still dark skinned in the raws...
.... so the scanlators got mad that the author fixed their mistake & the illustrator didn’t draw her white, so they edited her to be white themselves?? Just so they could fuck with the reader? How weird. Like.... you’re just tricking readers into hating this manga for something that the author & illustrator didn’t even do. How is that trolling lol
Hopefully I’m missing something bc that just seems like such a stupid and mean thing to do

I nearly just here for the comments this is hilarious.
Thanks for the translation.

I went to the raws site and claudia seems to have her dark skin back in the next chapter? Maybe it was just a temporary thing to show she got the light spirits blessing? Idk but I think that was just an unnecessary addition. Her skin should stay the same since her contractor or whatever is the dark spirit king, she only got a blessing of healing abilities from the light spirit...

@1idd0kun
To be honest, i like the choco look too...

Well, it's a Japanese standard to have fair skin and black hair. So it's probably a roundabout way to make a Japanese character in a fantasy setting more believable.

It is justified, imo, that author changed her looks.

At first her choco look made her a scary person in other's eye, and he lived that way until now. Nevertheless he got friend regardless of her 'constitution' and she know that they are a true friends.

When she got Light Spirit King's blessing, he got a complex about it, that people started goody-two-shoes-ing to her, like everything they've done doesn't happened.

From a story and character standpoint, it has more deep meaning.
From a design standpoint, the character turned a bit bland. It is rarely we get choco girl other than gals in manga.

Dex-chan lover
The point is she hates how superficial her family is in this chapter.
She finds they're not worth bothering.
Now she will stick only with the people who accepted her before Light Spirit blessing.

Her parents is white, how dark skin color make her Black? She still white (or yellow or whatever) even her skin is dark. You can have blond hair even when you are black or have tan skin color when you are white. So don't make a fuse about that kind of thing. That's why racist exist. Sorry for bad English, I'm not white or black so english is not my thing.

I don’t know what happens next as the novel slowed down and I forgot about it. Yeah this was somehow worse than the novel. I hope that when she finds her happiness she can change back. Also I just remembered why it’s worse in the novel at least grace had the decency to say whoops didn’t mean for that to happen. Here she was just straight bitch.

I see this as her being falsely accused of murder and everyone turning on her. Then after months of being dragged through the mud they find out during court that she is actually innocent. Now everyone is coming around trying to pretend like its ok that they blamed her for something she didn't do.

I do agree that I liked her more with darker skin color. It made her unique as far as typical isekai novels go. I think the skin color change was just to show how shallow everyone is.

While I guess they were trying to highlight how superficial the kingdom and her parents were being, I can't help but feel sad that she's no longer our choco milkshake queen. I honestly found her prettier that way. 😔

It's so insulting at so many levels that the stupid author has to fix the discrimination and hate she suffered because of her darker appearance by making her white... 😠😠😠😠😠😠
So sad to see that this could have been a positive novel about taking down stereotypes and educating people. Please don't say this is fantasy, the useless author created a world where you're discriminated by the color of your skin and hair and "fix" everything by making her white...... 🤦🏽‍♀️

God damnit. This chapter started with what I thought was an interesting commentary on the otome game heroine archetype and an introspection on the appeal on the otome game genre.

Then the magical whitewashing happened and that train of thought was derailed.

Fed-Kun's army
@Wyrm Well put, I don't agree with "whitewashing" in media but I didn't really get the feel that that's what they were trying to do here, it more felt like the author was trying to show how we often judge people by what we see on the surface and the stereotypes people hold. Naturally if in chapters to follow if it feels like the author just discriminates against other races I'm going to be fairly disappointed but so far, uh I'm not really good with words. It feels like the author is trying to tell a story with a lesson on discrimination, not pushing hateful beliefs.

Dex-chan lover
@TetraSky it's not because who her skin tone, it's because she has the light spirit king's blessing.
the whole reason they where avoiding her was because she had the dark sprite king's blessing. if his power didn't change her appearance and didn't change her skin color to make it look darker in the first place no one would have had a problem with this

Power Uploader
@_cowbird,

I'm not sure where you got those RAWs, but in the official raws at https://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/official/297000260/4076 she is absolutely still dark-skinned.

Edit: Nvmd, looks like other comments say that the RAWs were updated/changes after their initial release.

Users who are viewing this thread