I'm Not the Saint, so I'll Just Leisurely Make Food at the Royal Palace - Vol. 1 Ch. 1.2

Thank you for the translation! I hope there isn't horrible fat jokes, or the FL suddenly becomes a shockingly beautiful person if they suddenly become skinny or w/e lol
also I love food isekai but also damn. I understand that it's made for a Japanese audience by a Japanese writer and illustrator, but the disrespect for non-Japanese culinary traditions is. oof

N2O

Dex-chan lover
@jhadred Well with this being another world I can more or less accept that they never figured out yeast as well as them not having beauty standards adherent to anything in any period from our world, so I don't really see a problem with this other than it would seem sort of unlikely. But either way, about the bread: you can certainly make bigger loaves without yeast or any other carbon dioxide inducing agent, I used to do those all the time when I was a kid and didn't know any better. Particularly if you don't knead much to form a lot of gluten bonds you can still get an ok-ish loaf-- it'll just be a lot more dense with a doughy crumbs texture (which is what I assumed this would be, looking at the shape and description). But yeah, it certainly would not be /hard/ beyond the crust unless it got old, which just seems very unlikely in any circumstance, other world or otherwise.

To me this detail sort of makes the whole trope of bad isekai food being fixed by the food saint come across as kinda cheap since it doesn't seem like they put more thought into it than "eh let's just make all the food here suck". Not a HUGE turnoff, and as you said I'll be sticking around to see what the rest of this work has to bring to the table, but it's a bit of a letdown when food is supposed to be a big focus.

PS: Actually now that you mention it, I've never seen tangzhong in any of these food isekai manga :O that's kinda weird, I see it used all the time on asian baking videos. Pretty sure I've even seen someone use it in a curry even lol

She just assumed that was luxury food in this world? I would've thought that was their attempt at peasant food.

She’s so beautiful and soft 😭❤️ I hope they don’t change her appearance

Double-page supporter
@N2O The problem I have with the yeast thing specifically in mangas is that it has been used throughout the world for ages, and unleavened breads are often quite different than loaves. The closest is more like a cake and most cakes have baking powder as their leavener. I can only think of a pound cake that doesn't (but is still fluffy). Pita bread, naan, tortillas, flatbreads, wafers and crackers all come to mind without yeast. I'm curious on what kind of unleavened bread you made. Now if one of these does something with yeast and specifically points out it's a different kind of yeast or something, I can accept that. Making bread with beer or wine yeast would be different than a sourdough. I suppose Japan doesn't have the same history as Europe and the US when it comes to using beer barm / yeast to make bread with.

I agree. It's become a poor trope. I love to see when they show that these worlds have their own culture and foods and can explore it and incorporate it. Foreign foods are "odd" to people and things don't often show that. Food mangas tend to be among my favorites, too.

Same, which is interesting as tangzhong is not widespread around the world, and the name is chinese instead of japanese. The only extension I've found is the way chinese foods use a starch slurry afterwards, while the french use a roux. Or that the name that spread was chinese, and the technique came from japan. I can't tell. Plus wheat in Japan was rare for a long time, and used more in China.

One of my other irritants is where the mc's can do no wrong in their foods. It really shows that they can't learn new ideas themselves, or adjust their flavors to the population's palate. Asian food in the US has been modified for ages and at least through the 90's was nothing like the real thing. (There was the american's menu, and the real menu which had stronger flavors of garlic, ginger and fish).

N2O

Dex-chan lover
@jhadred well I don't really remember any measurements for the bread I made or what temperature/how long to bake, but it was literally just flour, water and a pinch of salt. If I were to compare it to anything it ends up like a denser, kind of doughy ciabatta; not exactly a bread I'd recommend, but fresh and warm out of the oven it was surprisingly good all things considered.

I actually ended up trying to make tangzhong today because of you :D It was a complete disaster though lol, was heating up some milk to make hot chocolate only to find out that we had ran out of chocolate, so instead of wasting the milk I was like "oh isn't this how you make tangzhong". Added the 1/5th flour, then after a while I realized "wait, it's actually water you use isn't it" :')) so I ended up wasting the milk anyway. Oh well, you live and learn.

If you want some really interesting other world food culture stuff I recommend Isekai Ryouridou, if you haven't read it! Chef guy gets isekai'd and ends up living with a kinda primitive tribe, and in that one he really has to adapt his food to the culture as well as available ingredients.

Isekai de Café wo Kaiten Shimashita is another one I really enjoy, it's one of those food manga that strikes a really good balance of food and plot. There's a lot of food manga rn where there isn't much of a plot, just really nice food art and every chapter is pretty much standalone; not a huge fan of those, so whenever I come across something like this one it's a good day. It doesn't nerd out with measurements and stuff, but it has stuff like where the MC has to be head chef for a banquet or something, and you get to see all the frantic kitchen work and also the kitchen hierarchy that goes on behind the scenes-- definitely recommend !

Double-page supporter
@N2O Amusingly enough, I made bread that day as well, using yeast but not the tangzhong method. I also decided to re-read Yakitate!! Japan I think I did read where a recipe uses milk for the tangzhong, but it's a completely new technique to me. Plus having a gluten allergy my breadmaking has been nonexistant for a while.
I do enjoy Ryouridou, haven't read the LN but using the ingredients there is good. Shimashita I think I started but paused because I think it did something similar.
Speaking of the bread yeast thing in isekai, what I'd hope to see is something like this https://mangadex.org/chapter/203490/9

If she's considered fat then what the heck is considered normal...?
Also, AUTHOR-SAN, IF YOU'RE GONNA MAKE HER BE "FAT" THEN PLEASE AT LEAST HAVE THE COURAGE TO DRAW HER AS SUCH

See that!! Even the appraisal said she was only a little chubby, she ain't fat!!
The cooking saga begins...

I hate that none of these isekai cooking writers seem to know anything about food.

Users who are viewing this thread