I'm Working at the Church as a Priest, but I Want to Be Cut Some Slack from the Mutilated Bodies of the Heroes that Keep Getting Sent to Me - Ch. 1.5

Contributor
a2398763261_10.jpg

Dex-chan lover
One chapter. Five parts. Fuck this format sideways.

Not a bad manga though.

Dex-chan lover
LOL if he died... what becomes of everyone ?? XD
Many thanks

Dex-chan lover
Ok. This entire system is clearly a farce designed to enslave heroes to the church. With the fee rising (exponentially?) to match the level of the hero, the debt eventually exceeds far more than is physically possible for the heroes to earn and then they become slaves of the church. There is no consideration whatsoever for whatever antagonist requires heroes to exist in the first place since adventurers are clearly a separate thing from heroes now that we've seen a few adventurers who aren't heroes.
The church can also apparently afford to revive the heroes for free since they do it for their "dogs" (slaves) without it becoming a greater issue for them. If the cost of labor/materials/training/wages was high enough to warrant the crushing debts in the first place they wouldn't be able to give unlimited revivals to Aegis as a "reward" for becoming a useful slave.

Now that I realize he has his own extremely high level slave his complaints about overworking hold less water than they already barely did. Aegis could easily do some basic janitorial work from time to time to relieve him of stress or hold down a shift to keep everything neat while he sleeps. The priest is clearly just completely incompetent at everything other than being an evil shitbag . He's overworked despite having a network of people he can use as forced labour. I now see why his superiors ignore him. The man is just dumb.
Would it kill Japan to stay away from the evil church trope for a while?

Dex-chan lover
@RamenRider
Pretty sure the system is only this bad for these particular retards who run into battles alone. Having a party, even just one or two more people, would make a massive difference in their survival.
Except the girl. She has a negative luck stat AND is a braindead death sponge. She's doomed.

Dex-chan lover
Welp this system is broken. It’s like student loans but unavoidable (unless the heroes can choose to stay dead) and trying to work to pay them off only manages to increase the debt. So basically every time a hero dies they owe money, the higher the hero’s level the more money they owe. The weak heroes that die constantly can’t perform the work needed to pay back the debt. The strong heroes that take on super dangerous missions are pretty much fucked if they die ONCE. Wow. Even if they choose to sweep the debt under the rug by making a hero a slave, that’s still a shit ton of money the church will NEVER see. They really need to make some serious reforms. That or the heroes just need to stop adventuring (or stay dead), but then there’s no one to protect people from monsters... maybe start mass producing heroes so it doesn’t matter if they die? Or maybe just get actually skilled heroes. I really don’t know, but what they have isn’t working. Reminds me of debtors prison, where you’re somehow expected to pay debt back whilst locked up in jail and unable to do.... well anything; meanwhile the debt is just increasing because interest (except the jail in this scenario is just the way too dangerous adventuring life of heroes)l

Dex-chan lover
im sure theres more to the system than what was explained in literally a single chapter of an adaptation of a presumingly denser novel. heros in parties,expecially when facing really difficult threats probably get some type of waiver or something where the cost wouldnt cause them harm. maybe to some degree it works like car insurance, costing less if you havent been in an 'accident' in a while

anyway, the very fact that you can come back from fucking death is a miracle billionaires in our world would give everything for, so i dont really see it as truly evil, i mean if it doesnt work out for you after a few deaths, just dont be a fuckin adventurer, cobble some shoes or something

Dex-chan lover
They're literally being brought back to life and you guys are complaining that the fees are too high...

Dex-chan lover
@Riger Several things here:
1) She managed to have more debt than her entire country because the prices were so high for a single revival and you don't make it to a level so insanely high that you can do that without being competent enough to kill high level monsters. Even if she hit a skill/level wall where she couldn't take on the appropriate monsters ,she could have farmed lesser monsters instead, (eg that other dude one shotted platinum slimes despite them probably being melee resistant) unless the fees were so exorbitant that it was impossible to make any headway. We haven't heard anything about interest rates so this is just obscene price scaling alone that I'm assuming is doing that to her and other heroes.

2) This continues on point one. It should be physically impossible to rake in an entire country's GDP per death. Given the overall high quality of the clothing and the staves, we can assume post renaissance and lack of guns means we can say this is pre industrial revolution. The fact that they have enough recordkeeping to make a GDP also favors the late medieval period at the absolute earliest and can easily mean we're right before an industrial revolution analogue kicks off. I'll pick France 1870 since this is probably a european setting and it's the one the japanese tend to think of the most. $72,100,000,000 is the GDP that Aegis reached. At a million bucks a death she would have had to have managed to die over 72 THOUSAND times within the span of a few years(gonna give her ten years to assume she started young since she's probably not a cake or even past 18) to possibly make things that bad.
In order to attain that debt she would have had to have died approximately 19,753,424.65753425‬ times per day with a small average fee of a million per death over the course of ten years.
I doubt there is enough physical gold on that planet to even try to pay. She didn't even start at a million bucks a pop. Why the hell did nobody even stop her and get her to retire before that point unless the point was to enslave her? I don't even think her current revival cost if she paid for one is physically possible as a real number value for money owned by an individual within her country.

3) It appears there are barely more than 3 heroes if his work load almost completely dissipated after torturing one hero and scaring another.

4) Where the hell is his share of this cash if a high level hero ranks in THAT much dosh per death? They never pay him enough for a damn janitor.

5) Her actually being capable of paying a single fee would collapse continental economies. This church is either a bigger threat than the demon lord, working with the demon lord, or secretly on the same side as the demon lord.

The more likely explanation to all of my ranting is that like most people, the mangaka doesn't realize just how much of an obscenity the difference between a million and a billion is.

Dex-chan lover
@RamenRider

"her gargantuan tab became as large as the national budget"

you're certainly looking into this deep, but where did it claim her debt became that big off of one death? it just said it goes up with your levels, maybe she never paid her debts in general

Dex-chan lover
@dojinshi The corona-chan is in town. We all have too much time on our hands.
You might have missed an edit I made? I point out how many times Aegis had to have died per day at an average fee of a million dollars over the course of ten years.
It was 19,753,424.65753425 times a day while not factoring in sleeping hours for priests. From there we can conclude that the fee has to have been higher since the numbers are too high. Even chucking it up to a billion dollar average price per death has her dying every few minutes with no consideration for things like how long it takes to actually revive heroes or her walking outside to a threat that can kill her if said threat is immediately outside the church door.
Since bloodstains happen it means that not only is the fee required absurd, but the amount of blood splashing about even if it's just a few drops per death (or far less) at anything less than a several billion dollar fee per revival at her current level should have been a biblical flood.
EDIT: Ergo it's also impossible for her to have amassed her current debt without the fees for a single revival having reached a massive point by now. Aegis has possibly died enough to breach the world GDP several times over after after her enslavement if there were any actual expenses for the priests. I doubt she's so new at being enslaved that she hasn't died a few times by now. The revival fee waiver makes no sense if she doesn't and reveals that there are no exponential expenses on the church's side of things. This system is so broken it makes IRL look good.

Dex-chan lover
@RamenRider
I COMPLETELY AGREE with you. (sorry for the caps though)
I died over 200 times in Dark Souls.
Lost all my souls.
NO, MY SOULS.
But this system in this manga is even more trash-tier.

PS:
However, this is the medieval world.
Talking GATE, thus JSDF... for an example.
The compensation, Japan requires the Empire to pay, makes the princess scare out of her wits.
Thus we can expect this country is must smaller than a state of a modern country.

But the Author doesn't think at all to make the fee higher than a national burger setting.

Dex-chan lover
@Loli_Omamoritai
I didn't do modern France. I did 1870 France. Even scaling back to 1600s France (which is invalidated by the GDP statistic existing as something known by a character since that's impossible without widespread recordkeeping) gives Aegis multiple deaths per second and that's an economy being devastated by the black plague.

This whole thing is half tempting me to try and learn how to make an indy JRPG game where the church is the secret mega boss enslaving heroes in the name of evil.
One path where if you managed to git gud is normalish while the church keeps on trying to make you go on dangerous missions, and the path where you managed to die during the late game and rack up debt eventually leads you to learning about the conspiracy of the church. Since people would probably rather save scum than admit leave the deaths on their record it'll take a little for them to learn that the crushing debt is part of the plot.

Users who are viewing this thread