Imasara desu ga, Osananajimi wo Suki ni Natte Shimaimashita - Ch. 22 - It Happened, A Year, and a Half Ago

Dex-chan lover
I do agree that serialization plays a factor, but this manga is self-published. This makes very, very little money(if any at all; the only money I can see this making is donations or Yom's twitter account revenue) and all of the loss/gain lies in attention. However, I don't think the foreshadowing was meant to be loud or noticeable at all, in fact I feel as if it was the opposite.

What I think is the issue for this manga in particular is the presentation and the fact that the hints were very hard to notice if not just not hints at all to an average reader, combined with Yom's very friendly artstyle giving the manga that childlike feel. To an extent, if the author was going for this, I can understand it. I just feel like it's such a strong attempt at immersing the reader into the perspective of FMC for her arc to sell the shock that the return doesn't seem there, and I even find myself sympathizing with some of the outrage.

IDK, this manga is free to consume and read to everyone, so it's meh to me, but I can't fathom how people would feel if they paid or even just had to watch ads to read this after the last 20 chapters.
If I’m not mistaken, the author is printing physical copies and bringing them to conventions. Here’s a reader's comment about chapter 21 from X:

Z8GL2qs.png

Dex-chan lover
If I’m not mistaken, the author is printing physical copies and bringing them to conventions. Here’s a reader's comment about chapter 21 from X:
Oh I see now, you can even order it seems. That's actually really interesting. So is there really no indication on purchasing sites that says that this story takes this kind of turn anywhere? Personally, I'd never buy any manga that isn't fully completed, but I'd have to imagine that such a dramatic tonal shift has to be outlined when you're having people buy it.

Dex-chan lover
Can someone link me to the previous chapters where Ayanami showed up? Because I don't remember seeing her before ch21.
What's more important is they're showing Ayanami's shadow crotch next chapter. Is Ayanami a last name for sexualized females?

People criticise the tonal shift but if this had happened anywhere else like in an action or a mystery series, you'd have ate this shit up 100%.

I personally love the fact that all of these were foreshadowed prior to ch 20. It gives a complete different outlook upon a reread.

Last edited:
lol the only thing funnier than the abrupt shift is people losing their minds over it
I waited this chapter so much, not because of the story but the comments, I feel like Vanir from Konosuba at times like these lol brave of the author to go down this route and writing, I guess Yom fans got caught off guard by it :lol:

People criticise the tonal shift but if this had happened anywhere else like in an action or a mystery series you'd have ate this shit up 100%.

I personally love the fact that all of these we foreshadowed prior to ch 20. It gives a complete different outlook upon a reread.
Re-reading it now, some dialogs make much more sense, so technically this was author's plan all along.

Dex-chan lover
Can someone link me to the previous chapters where Ayanami showed up? Because I don't remember seeing her before ch21.
I just re-read, she appeared in ch.5 & 15 (excluding those in their group chat). I have to warn you that Ch.5 just hit unexpectedly hard though.

Now, after re-reading, I don't think we weren't totally lied to all these time though.
The fact that they met on the exam day after he took it, means that, at the very least, Yuu did try to chase Hikari up to that point. Although we could take everything in Ch.16&17 at face value without any meaning deeper than it appear and it'd mean he really just saw Hikari as rival, I'd argue his reaction in Ch.18 suggest otherwise; I do believe he was interested in Hikari at that point in time.
So, my head canon is like this:
-Yuu had a crush on Hikari up to highschool > met Ayami on exam day > they date at some point and broke up > Yuu moved on and turned back to Hikari > things were progressing(?) as we have seen > shit hit the fan when Yuu met Ayami again in the cultural festival and the old flame sparked

Edit - just realized I wrote weren't to were... that's just make the meaning opposite, damn me...

Last edited:
Ch 16 had the biggest hint that he might not be into Hikari.
Bro was in shock when his secret was found out that he tried to got to the same school as Hikari.
Meanwhile he acts completely nonchalant when his other friend assumes they were an item.

Double-page supporter
Ok, please explain to me. I dont get it: Why the heck do you have to prostitute yourself, because your new step father suxx? Just come home late, stay in your room and sleep there and go to school in the morning. No need to interact with him and you can move out after High School. Did he try to r*pe your or beat you up? If yes, there are other options like going to the police or at least tell your mother and if she is a dumb b*tch not listening, contact some relatives and stay there for 1 2 years until youre 18.

Really, the solution she comes up with is to sleep with some old guys for money? Yes, I dont see any way to make more money fast, but its making her even more unlikable. Also pretty sure her "other party" encounters werent all happy and smooth either.

Sigh.

Ok, please explain to me. I dont get it: Why the heck do you have to prostitute yourself, because your new step father suxx? Just come home late, stay in your room and sleep there and go to school in the morning. No need to interact with him and you can move out after High School. Did he try to r*pe your or beat you up? If yes, there are other options like going to the police or at least tell your mother and if she is a dumb b*tch not listening, contact some relatives and stay there for 1 2 years until youre 18.

Really, the solution she comes up with is to sleep with some old guys for money? Yes, I dont see any way to make more money fast, but its making her even more unlikable. Also pretty sure her "other party" encounters werent all happy and smooth either.

Sigh.
Ruin your own life so you can blame it on your parents later. Typical teenage behaviour. It's not that out of the ordinary.

Dex-chan lover
Author on X:

eFUsv1Y.png
Ohh I see, did the author specify to the audience that the first 20 chaps were going to be the "light" part in contrast to this beforehand? If not, it sounds like he baited people into reading one type of story and once he got them hooked with that, shifted the tone completly to write the drama that he wanted to really write but was to chicken to open up with it. If I read "Dog and Scum", I know what I'm getting into, but the tonal shift of these series is gal clean tier.

Supporter
Oh boy backstory time.

Fun Facts:
  • Saranami went from being rated 8.59 to 8.04 because of the last chapter.
  • 20 1-star ratings to 93 1-star ratings.
  • 3 people reported this manga as a troll entry.
View attachment 6771View attachment 6774
It's down to 7.60 now. 189 1-star ratings.
Crazy how one bad chapter can cause a manga's reception to plunge.
It's well 'earned', IMO. Story was going so well right until ch. 21 flushed it down the drain.

Dex-chan lover
Ch 16 had the biggest hint that he might not be into Hikari.
Bro was in shock when his secret was found out that he tried to got to the same school as Hikari.
Meanwhile he acts completely nonchalant when his other friend assumes they were an item.
If we go by this chapter, he was already trying to get into that school before meeting this girl, so there is no reason to believe he tried to get into that hs for anyone but his CF

The author is crossing into the boundary of peak. We had ourselves a well drawn and well paced cute shoujo by an author who saw previous success in this new era through her workplace romance. But these last two chapters have a chance to cross this story into a level above what she’s previously peaked at. I love when authors do this

People scr
If we go by this chapter, he was already trying to get into that school before meeting this girl, so there is no reason to believe he tried to get into that hs for anyone but his CF
It's mentioned in ch 17 that they had a rivalry of some sort. Yes, he did tried to get into the school because of Hikari-chan but it's not due to a romantic intention.

The author is crossing into the boundary of peak. We had ourselves a well drawn and well paced cute shoujo by an author who saw previous success in this new era through her workplace romance. But these last two chapters have a chance to cross this story into a level above what she’s previously peaked at. I love when authors do this
This is me, but unironically. High risk, high reward, baby.

I'm interested in this manga now more than ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread