Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Ch. 83 - One Step

Dex-chan lover
The correct name is "Eva".

The reason she is called "Ēfa" ("エーファ") in Japanese is because they tried to follow German phonetics, where the "V" sounds closer to an "F". So "Efa" is more similar to how a German pronounces "Eva".

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"Efa" sounds cute in my head, and it fits her character. If it were Liontine's name instead, then "Eva". Just my two cents.

Chapter full of learnings, both for Hans and TL-san. You love to see it.

Dex-chan lover
Despite watching the anime, I somehow never caught the difference. Guess that means I'm fairly indifferent.

Dex-chan lover
You're not wrong, the change to Efa is rather jarring. I get it though considering I don't think the letter "V" is in the Japanese alphabet, but since it's translating a non-japanese name I would prefer her name return to being Eva because both I'm used to it, and that it sounds more like a real name instead of Efa.

Dex-chan lover
I’ve seen this exact translation discrepancy twice, the one before this was from Ascendance of Bookworm.

The fan translated it as Eva but the official translation was Effa.

I’m fine with whatever.

With regard to Eva/Efa:

I suspect it might be an attempt by the original mangaka to translate the Gaeltacht name Aoife, which is pronounced Eva (with a sort of soft v, since it's an f).

Users who are viewing this thread