Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Ch. 83 - One Step

Aggregator gang
The correct name is "Eva".

The reason she is called "Ēfa" ("エーファ") in Japanese is because they tried to follow German phonetics, where the "V" sounds closer to an "F". So "Efa" is more similar to how a German pronounces "Eva".
Solid point. I hadn't considered how it would be pronounced in German. Probably should have, but I missed it.

I think, for me at least, I imagine Eva to be spelled エブァ or エヴァ because of Evangelion. I rewatched the movies recently so it's been taking up space in my mind.

Most likely, if there is a correct way of spelling it, it's Eva. I'll probably be using Eva instead of Efa from now on.

Id go with efa seems its the correct translation and your notes properly explained the changes so should be ok. Also just want to thank u for translating this manga.

Aggregator gang
The correct name is "Eva".

The reason she is called "Ēfa" ("エーファ") in Japanese is because they tried to follow German phonetics, where the "V" sounds closer to an "F". So "Efa" is more similar to how a German pronounces "Eva".
Yes! The name "Eva" can be pronounced both ways, [eːfa] and [eːva] (less common) in German, but I've never seen it written as "Efa".

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation, and as always, the educational translator's notes.

Knowing your family has a restaurant explains so much more about why you'd become involved in translating this manga.

Double-page supporter
Thank you for update!
I love itttt, its nice to see not only Hans character development but also Shinobu and Taisho 😆

Dex-chan lover
I confess I didn't even notice efa's name was changed, cause I didn't remember what it was since we last saw her a while ago.

Thanks for the hard work.
Germanic /v/ is pronounced with /f/, so Efa would've been the correct way to pronounce it. The seiyu in the anime also pronounced it with half v/f sound. The spelling on the other hand is a bit uncommon. I propose you leave it as Eva.

regarding the Eva/Efa thing

The official Udon Ent. translation of the manga uses Effa
I'm not quite sure on what the Crunchyroll translation is, but from what I can gather looking at MAL discussions I think it's Eva

While I'm leaning towards uniformity with the official manga translation, ultimately I think either one works fine

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation once more! It's very appreciated.

A small note: on page 4, you missed a word. "Apparently, the church Deacon Edwin used to be at had an orphanage attached to it." (bolded is missing word)

Alternatively, it could be written, "Apparently, the church where Edwin used to be deacon had an orphanage attached to it."

Thanks for all your hard work.

Dex-chan lover
The ginger looking like that is just the author telling us to suck D with the EVA/EFA pronunciation 😂

Dex-chan lover
Always fun to see more of them! BUT I NEED MOOOOOOOORE!
Thanks though translator and redrawer chans!

Users who are viewing this thread