Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru! - Vol. 6 Ch. 30 - The Second Hero, Eliott III

Dex-chan lover
@enperadorea
on-the-nose.jpg

Supporter
@GridLite @bloodysorcerer @kazutokatsuragi @Sep10trion

I'd say not to think over the words of the spells too much. If his earth's magic system is similar to The Dresden Files system it literally doesn't matter what he is saying. IIRC in The Dresden Files the MC mentioned before that incantations for spells are different for every wizard. The words used simply need to be connected in your head to the spell you want. Due to this you could use literal gibberish for your incantations so long as that connection was made and you used the same gibberish every time. They tend to use dead languages since the meanings of said words are known and will not change. Harry Dresden doesn't even use real Latin for is spells, he uses a Pseudo-Latin that is Latin-ish, but also somewhat made up. I believe his first fire spell, lighting a candle, used the incantation "Flicum Bicus". Still uses that spell too. XD

Regardless In the end I don't think the translations of the spells help all that much. It is a neat detail to add as a translator's note, but it was probably assumed by the author that the readers would pick up his spells as they go. If he says certain words and a shield forms then in the future when you see those or similar you can assume a shield of some sort forms. As for brand new spells we probably are not supposed to know what he is saying, and thus casting, until wee see the end result.

Contributor
it's funny how in the start of this manga the protagonist was using amazing magic like stopping time, while badmouthing the magic of the other world as just throwing flame balls and what not, but now here we are. The only thing he does when fighting is to use lightning, flames and the like, i. e., "throwing flame balls". Can't even fight against said outdated magic.

Dex-chan lover
@jokerxhisoka it's cause his system wasn't that effective in that world afterall, in the end he couldn't end the demon general and spent a lot of his power to do that... I will give the benefit of the doubt ('cause he already knows the culprit is the loli, so he doesn't want to kill her)

Dex-chan lover
So much of this chapter was just random rambling. Feels like a chuuni battle in which nothing happened.

@Knighto
Affirming that he is indeed struggling with that world's magic, doesn't negate the fact that the MC ridiculed it. :x

Contributor
@Knighto I don't see why stopping time wouldn't be useful though and if he can control time he should be able to control space, meaning the amount of things he could do are infinite.

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist that's for sure (it's always been chuuni battles, best part it has a chuuni character so it feels like the author doesn't realize the chuuni of the rest of the series)

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist Except for the fact that demons are way stronger than humans and he only got hit with one spell that he underestimated. He failed to finish off the demon general because his holy magic is the only thing he had that would be super effective and he only has one "holy" spell, and he used up all the magic he had left after killing his entire army to cast it. It's possible that if he had more mp at that time he may have killed Rajas as he had to hold back some of the power of it. He was also trying to capture his target not kill him/her so he didn't go all out. After all if the culprit dies and the people don't come out of their comas that would still, technically, be a bad thing even if the comatose patients are not particularly liked by the public. Not to mention that there are other people involved, like the one that ran away, so capturing and interrogating the person he was fighting would be the best way to get all of them, besides setting a trap and getting lucky enough that you capture all the culprits.
@Knighto His magic works fine, it just isn't that effective on demons due to the fact that they have protection from their "god", which means only spells powered up by the goddess are able to pierce through with full strength so he has to use much stronger spells to kill them than he thought he'd need to. He's also not familiar with all the magic in this world so he wouldn't know what every spell does, and as far as we've seen he has no experience with dark magic from this world so he didn't have a way to properly estimate the power of the spells, except maybe comparing them to some from Earth, which might not even exist. Oh, and lets not forget that he said he isn't all that strong for a magician from Earth, and that his dad would've literally been able to one punch Rajas, while it took most of what he had to put him on the verge of death.

Dex-chan lover
@jokerxhisoka @Solipsist He was more so ridiculing the fact that their magic is based on their blessing by their gods, and their chants are insanely long (and cringe), not their power (I think Earth's magic was more so the user's own research in whatever area, but iirc they don't go into much detail on Earth's magicians). And as BloodySorcerer explained in a comment, Sumei's defensive spells only work when he understands the magic itself. As he doesn't know much about this world's magic, he's bound to take hits here and there until he starts to fully comprehend them. He may have more advanced magic, but if they aren't blessed by the gods (ie. elemental), they're not going to help much. Also, MP limits are a thing. Adding on, he's not trying to kill the hooded person, as he knows them, so he has to hold back while learning what dark magic does to avoid fatal damage.

This is why I like this OP-isekai manga. Sumei takes time to get OP, and it's mostly because of his own knowledge, as Leo80221 said, Sumei isn't strong when compared to other magicians from Earth.
But OH BOI. Wait till he starts to show off his later spells. If he ain't strong on Earth, you need to wonder what the strongest magician on Earth can do when they're serious. His original spells sound so badass in the novel, I hope the manga does it justice.

Dex-chan lover
@saphirekosmos i only asked because i just want to know what the hell's happening because the art doesn't help much since the chapter is heavily focused on the battle. It's basically like i'm reading a novel but they used the font of doctor's penmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread