Isekai Munchkin -HP 1 no Mama de Saikyou Saisoku Danjon Kouryaku- - Vol. 2 Ch. 18 - The Subject of Money

@kaminomikan
Oh hey, I don't know the local currency but I have 20 gold.
Oh look, an apple, how much is this apple
oh its 2 gold... guess gold is not worth much, ill have 5
I need a place to rest
How much does a room at this inn cost
5 copper... 1 silver if I want a full course meal
hey, can you tell me how many silver are in a gold?
20!?!

and there you have why knowing 1 gold is 100$/10000yen may be very useful for you to make a judgment call.
now, for how often money will ever come up the readers may never get a grasp on what the value is.
but lets put it this way, character does a very dangerous mission, gets 3 silver, rents a bottom barrel room for the night that costs 2 silver, as the reader will will equate that with the shittiesy palce we know/have been, and think "My god, you nearly die everyday just to rend a motel 6 room they discount because they couldn't get the smell of the suicide out of the room completely"

i'm just taking a guess you have never been to another country with a different currency because this is literally the first thing you do is learn to make judgement calls based on what you know best, you home currency.

@sedition in a story with adventurers, they will typically go from place to place, and using apples as an example, if you are somewhere that can get them before they rot, they will be relatively cheap, but if you are 7+ days carriage time away, they will go bad, and what you have access to drastically increases, until you are VERY familiar with currency, you would constantly jump to judgement calls. this isn't something that you see so much in modern days outside of specialty food.

Okay okay I’m pretty sure I’ve missed a meme here, there are just too many references to Swedish krone to not be some joke.

I’ve seen the reference before but just passed it as translator taking liberties (then again why would a Swedish person be translating into English, stop questioning me!)

Dex-chan lover
@alidan
Oh hey, I don't know the local currency but I have 20 gold.
Oh look, an apple, how much is this apple
oh its 2 gold... guess gold is not worth much, ill have 5
I need a place to rest
How much does a room at this inn cost
5 copper... 1 silver if I want a full course meal
hey, can you tell me how many silver are in a gold?
20!?!

Anyone that use money like that must be retarded, your example still doesn't apply. Or when you go to a store and buy something do you do all that you describe there? Please be realistic.

I'm just taking a guess you have never been to another country with a different currency because this is literally the first thing you do is learn to make judgement calls based on what you know best, you home currency.
Unless you are going just as a tourist what's the use of doing that? that's stupid, you must make your budget knowing how much are you going to be paid, and how much, things are valued locally. if you have traveled outside your country besides tourism then, thank whoever deity you believe for no having died out there.

now, for how often money will ever come up the readers may never get a grasp on what the value is.
I haven't read the first one where they don't say how much it cost a night in an inn with two meal, or how much gold is needed for a family of 4 to live for a month. and just in this chapter is explained how much a commoner makes a day, and how much a potion costs... so how can anyone not get and idea of the value with that? and it is needed to compare that with money from his original world?

Seriously I'm amused by your answer

I would prefer transliterates notes on the pages themselves compared to at the end

So basically nobody cares about protac reads a book most of the time he went explanation mode any more?

Some comments saying about how stupid comparing Isekai currency to Yen is stupid and blah blah blah

Now here's a useless historical fact: Did you guys know that the Roman Aureus was extremely valued in Indian kingdoms? Why? Because it contained more Silver in it, making it more valuable than the currency made in India

Dex-chan lover
Why do people get upset over money being equivalent to yen? It's a convenience done for the reader's sake so that they can easily understand the relative value of something when a character says "ah yes that's 2500 ". Money isn't a central point of the series, having the currency/worth of items based on a more complex system that doesn't have an easy conversion to Earth currencies wouldn't make the stories better, it'd just make them harder to immediately understand.

There's a lot of things in isekai that *should* be different from Earth if it's a totally different world, but are kept as familiar things for the sake of telling a story without having to explain every minor detail. It feels equivalent to me to saying "okay, this fantasy world has elves, but why are they called elves? If it has its own language, they should have a different word for the race!". And sure, some series call elves different things (like Elezen in ff14), but nobody gets up in arms about elves being called elves in 90% of worlds where there's elves.

@Salfaro
On the elves its safe to assume that an auto translation is taking place, as that's almost universally the case with isekai.

@Salfaro absolutely agreed, I'd take that over a massive wall of atext trying to explain you how the monetary system works. It's easier to read this way and nobody gives a fuck about whether it's super realistic or not.

Not to mention that the MC reasoning actually wasn't bad at all as opposed to what some people say in the comments. He compared different prices/wages to what they would be in his original world. He considered what we would call in economics a "basket of goods and services", and by comparing the price of it to what it would be in his own world he deducted what the purchasing power of a gold coin is. He then deducted what we would call a purchasing power parity exchange rate. It's convenient if you try to think about things by comparing them to what you already know/something you're used to.
Is it the most accurate thing? Not really. Does anyone give a fuck? Not really.

You know, he should've ripped off the guy he pawned the horse to. 😈

He could've brought back the deposit money, and said "I"m here to get back our warhorse!". Then either get a new horse, or extra gold as compensation.

Contributor
I know it won't get featured/used in the manga, but the best old "module" I ever owned from back in the day was Castle Greyhawk Adventures.

Oh, the fun. You had within the pages:

a dough golem that giggled when you poked it's belly
a mind filet-er (illithid made of various cuts of meat)
the body of Willy Wonka
Indiana Gnome and kobold Nazis
a group of kobolds with packs on their back trying to take out a spirit
a room with a green-tinged clay golem, a flame elemental that yells constantly "Flame-on", a masked drider that constantly complained about it's love life, and more
a trio of an unusually handsome djinn, a skeleton dressed like a doctor, and an unusually logical dark elf
a room that looked a lot like the transporter room from Star Trek (and you got extra xp for taking the "proper" course of action in said room)
a western saloon with various characters including the piano player (Elfin John), Mae Dusa the female propieter, a masked ranger who would give cash if needed, etc
and so much more

One of my favorite ones had the players entering a room with a stench cow and a black carnivorous flying squirrel. The Stench cow would ask the squirrel if he wanted to watch him pull a terrasque out of a hat. The squirrel says that trick never works. He's right. There is only a 25% chance that he pulls a terrasque out. Unfortunately, the other 75% of the time, he pulls out something worse. The fun.

Group Leader
I made a slight mistake with my translation, so I've re-uploaded. I accidentally misgendered Luria. I'll also clarify my mistake in T/N's. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread