Isekai Munchkin -HP 1 no Mama de Saikyou Saisoku Danjon Kouryaku- - Ch. 101 - Adventurer's Etiquette

Group Leader
I'm surprised this series is seen as somewhat controversial. I personally really like it. It's a good spoof of old-school table-top games.
As someone who has been following this series for years, there's really not that much controversy to be honest.

There's the pretty uncommon reader who misremembers an event, doesn't understand what's happening or was a bit too early complaining (i.e, thinking Yukito finding sister is just one goal among many, thinking Yukito ever planned on going against the Black Dragon, thinking Yukito told the girls to wait for him when he left to go fight Sado, thinking Yukito would spare Sado, etc...)

Then a few "complaints" from avid tabletop RPG enjoyers making small comments about changes made by the author regarding D&D or mistakes made by Yukito.

Finally, there's a LOT of readers who have little to no experience with tabletop RPGs expecting a generic video game-esque fantasy manga and being disappointed and dropping early on. (A lot of early bad reviews come from this)

Dex-chan lover
Honestly I love it whenever the manga just becomes a replay of a tabletop session.

Dex-chan lover
Ugh, the trope of "breaking a chest breaks anything somewhat fragile inside"... I loathe that trope. Glass is not so fragile that bumping it around a bit is going to break it. Now, the whole flipping the chest and causing the contents to shift and rotate inside? Yeah, that's a hell of a lot more likely to break any bottles inside.
I think, it's especially possible for that glass bottle to be broken after Yukito's actions when it was buried under all the coins and quite sharp jewels at the bottom of the chest.

Dex-chan lover
Are there stat pages for the characters? I would assume an 8 perception is high enough to check for mechanical traps on the chest. The concern then is a magical trap and a mimic. I'm guessing none of them have a high Int. for the magic trap or True Seeing spell for the mimic.

Dex-chan lover
I've already forgotten her real name so she's "Goth Frieren" now.
Riverna. And she's the opposite of Frieren, since she's a dwarf. And didn't actually get caught by a mimic. On the other hand, it'd be equally funny if she actually did get caught.

Then a few "complaints" from avid tabletop RPG enjoyers making small comments about changes made by the author regarding D&D or mistakes made by Yukito.
I wouldn't even call it complaints with quotation marks. It's more about overanalysing things for fun. And regardless of all the differences between various editions we compare it with, this is still by far the most accurate representation of an actual TTRPG game than any other manga. See below.

Are there stat pages for the characters? I would assume an 8 perception is high enough to check for mechanical traps on the chest. The concern then is a magical trap and a mimic. I'm guessing none of them have a high Int. for the magic trap or True Seeing spell for the mimic.
No concrete stats that I've seen, no. Just some hints or single stats here and there. Like here you can somewhat guess their stats by their Perception bonus. The weird part is that Riverna should have high Perception, since that's based on Wisdom, which is the main stat of a Cleric. With the Wisdom she appears to have here, under some rules she shouldn't even be able to become a Cleric in the first place.

Checking for traps on an object like a chest would probably be an Investigation check, which is normally Intelligence.

True Seeing is a way too high level for these characters.

A magic trap could probably still trigger in this case. Depends on exactly how it's set up, and the mood of the DM.

Dex-chan lover
I think, it's especially possible for that glass bottle to be broken after Yukito's actions when it was buried under all the coins and quite sharp jewels at the bottom of the chest.
Thus why I said, "Now, the whole flipping the chest and causing the contents to shift and rotate inside? Yeah, that's a hell of a lot more likely to break any bottles inside." I'm just not a fan of the trope in general. Like, who keeps potions in a chest full of metal coins and a crown? It's dumb. So is the violent tip-over, especially when you can just break the hinge pins and then yoink off the lid at a distance; then you just need to worry about the lid clipping anything that stands taller than the inside of the chest body, and even if it clips a potion bottle and breaks it, most likely it'll just be the neck snapped or chipped, rather than the main body of the bottle.

Dex-chan lover
Thus why I said, "Now, the whole flipping the chest and causing the contents to shift and rotate inside? Yeah, that's a hell of a lot more likely to break any bottles inside." I'm just not a fan of the trope in general. Like, who keeps potions in a chest full of metal coins and a crown? It's dumb. So is the violent tip-over, especially when you can just break the hinge pins and then yoink off the lid at a distance; then you just need to worry about the lid clipping anything that stands taller than the inside of the chest body, and even if it clips a potion bottle and breaks it, most likely it'll just be the neck snapped or chipped, rather than the main body of the bottle.
Kobolds, kobolds keep shiny things in piles together.
And pretty sure the opening was done to avoid traps, which would trigger on pulling off the lid

Dex-chan lover
Kobolds, kobolds keep shiny things in piles together.
And pretty sure the opening was done to avoid traps, which would trigger on pulling off the lid
Kobolds are smart enough to separate potions from gold and other things; they're one of the smarter races, in fact. Why they use traps so much. Other races possibly involved would either also be smart enough, or would be ordered by smart-enough races or members of their own race, eg. shamans, priests, and mages.

As I said, break the hinge pins and then yoink it off at a distance, instead of just pulling the whole thing over (would be far lighter to do, too). Any trap that would be in there would be avoided simply by opening it from a distance, while there's a plethora of traps that would activate or explode from the violent smashing of the chest, itself.

Dex-chan lover
Checking for traps on an object like a chest would probably be an Investigation check, which is normally Intelligence.

True Seeing is a way too high level for these characters.

A magic trap could probably still trigger in this case. Depends on exactly how it's set up, and the mood of the DM.
What the check is going to be for looking for traps probably depends on the DM. A more in-depth roleplay might call for Perception to look for a trap, Investigation check to see if they know how to disarm it, and Dexterity check to try and disarm it. I can see most would bunch the Perception and Investigation checks together, though, as 3 checks for a single treasure chest is kind of overboard.

Is their zombie friend a lich? Or just a zombie town mayor? He'd have truesight if he was a lich.

If it were a magic trap they'd need an Arcana check or dispel magic, which I believe only their cleric is capable of. I don't know her level, but she seems higher level than the others.

All in all, though, MC's trap checking needs some work, especially if they're trying to avoid bringing attention to themselves. Like, why even go for the chest if there's a possibility of it being trapped with something loud/explosive?

Dex-chan lover
What the check is going to be for looking for traps probably depends on the DM. A more in-depth roleplay might call for Perception to look for a trap, Investigation check to see if they know how to disarm it, and Dexterity check to try and disarm it. I can see most would bunch the Perception and Investigation checks together, though, as 3 checks for a single treasure chest is kind of overboard.
Yeah, it always depends on the DM. The reason I think it'd be an Investigation check is that it's about searching for a trap on an object, not looking for traps while dungeoncrawling. Perception is generally for things you might not see, while Investigation is when you're looking specifically at it and trying to determine if it is a trap.

Is their zombie friend a lich? Or just a zombie town mayor? He'd have truesight if he was a lich.
I think he was a wight or something of that unnature. He has level/energy drain.

If it were a magic trap they'd need an Arcana check or dispel magic, which I believe only their cleric is capable of. I don't know her level, but she seems higher level than the others.
Some indications she's higher, some not. She's mostly used to casting Harm By Blunt Force Object, though, so I'm not sure how useful she'd be for checking magical traps.

If you want to go meta, it'd depend on if she was put there as a boss or as a recruitable character. A boss would likely have a slightly higher level, but a recruitable would have the same level as them.

All in all, though, MC's trap checking needs some work, especially if they're trying to avoid bringing attention to themselves. Like, why even go for the chest if there's a possibility of it being trapped with something loud/explosive?
Yeah, that was clumsy any way you look at it. They're all still low-level characters, and I've certainly seen far more experienced TTRPG players fumble a lot harder than that.

Dex-chan lover
Just found this one a couple days ago and binge read through, (glad an arc just finished I feel lucky) this has been a really fun read. I never really got much into D&D but this has been a nice change of pace compared to most isekai out there.

Users who are viewing this thread