Itsudemo Jitaku Ni Kaereru Ore Wa, Isekai De Gyoushounin O Hajimemashita - Ch. 47

Dex-chan lover
Let's hope the mangaka doesn't disappear for another 2 months and we can release some regular chapters. We're glad people seem to be enjoying it as much as we are.

Dex-chan lover
tbh it's probably never going to come up in the story, but the big worry is the same as any trader in a new land that never comes up in isekai like this: foreign species and overly advanced tech

nobody in that world can read languages from our world and he's only being a merchant but they apparently figured out matches pretty quick. lucky japan doesn't have a gun culture.
I think there were some isekai stories where there were ppl using guns, but i imagine he wouldn't bring anything too dangerous/sell stuff useful to adventurers (and beauty products for ladies lol) versus something that could be used in an army, after all it'd be hard to beat magic, or like that other story where they made like "one time use wands/grenades" or so that was tech powered by magic but worked the same way a large explosion would

Dex-chan lover
I was about to get mad that MC was gonna accept joining that stupid guild. Thankfully that was not what happened. So how long before MC has as many harem members as days in a year?

Dex-chan lover
All deals having to go through a merchants' guild. That's actually surprisingly realistic. That's kind of what guilds were about back in the old days. Though that sales restriction would probably not cover craftsmen, as they would be members of their own guilds, which would have permission to sell their own goods. But no idea how that works here.

Yeah, such nonsensical rumours. Nothing for an old man like you.

Ah, yes, throwing water at someone means giving them a cold. Unless the water is literally infected, no.

Sure is running his mouth in the presence of greater people.

Old and senile. Getting what he deserves.

Generally guilds would accept people as apprentices, but those wouldn't be merchants already. An established merchant from another city should be able to get a recommendations easier, such as from a wider range of people. That's the main fault here. Only accepting those who're prominent enough would pretty much rely on the current members for growth, which may not hold up over time, depending on those members.

As you mention, allowing merchants in with restrictions would make it easier to get a foot in, and you can also do some kind of trial system, where they're not full members and don't get all the benefits.

Trade between cities would not be restricted if you were a member of a specific guild, as guilds was a "local" entity. What you would look for as a traveling merchant is a trade union of sorts, a good example would be the Hansa.

Dex-chan lover
Trade between cities would not be restricted if you were a member of a specific guild, as guilds was a "local" entity. What you would look for as a traveling merchant is a trade union of sorts, a good example would be the Hansa.
Trade guilds weren't necessarily just local, as a guild could have presence in a lot of cities. To actually restrict trade in all of those cities they'd have to be powerful enough to be able to enforce a monopoly in each of the cities.

And in this manga they do act like a trade union, since there are several guilds banding together, but they've not shown (that I remember) connections to other cities.

Dex-chan lover
Trade guilds weren't necessarily just local, as a guild could have presence in a lot of cities. To actually restrict trade in all of those cities they'd have to be powerful enough to be able to enforce a monopoly in each of the cities.

"Trade" guilds where an offshoot of an artisan guild in that the traders of a specific resource/product from an area "guilded" together. Ergo a cloth merchant guild from city X didn't have the same administration and controll as a cloth merchant guild from city Y. What you are thinking of is a corporation, a collection of guilds from different locations cooperating with eachother.

And in this manga they do act like a trade union, since there are several guilds banding together, but they've not shown (that I remember) connections to other cities.

You were talking about how it should have been handled from a "realistic" perspectiv though. I was only commenting on that.
Of course in the end it is just a manga and whatever and shitall can happen. But we both know that wasn't what you were talking about and what i was talking about.

Dex-chan lover
Dude wasn't much of a merchant if he didn't realize he was negotiating from the weaker position.

Users who are viewing this thread