Jitsu wa Imouto Deshita. ~Saikin de Kitagiri no Otouto no Kyorikan ga Yatara Chikaiwake~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
Aniki's monkey brain (probably)
hgtbmz7ydnv41.jpg

Group Leader
Haven't seen the original RAW, but I suspect it might be more accurate to say "Wherefore art thou Aniki?" or at least "Why are you Aniki" instead of "why are you my Aniki", since it's pretty clear she's referencing the play and the very slight correlation of being in love with someone whose very name makes their love "forbidden".

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.

Haven't seen the original RAW, but I suspect it might be more accurate to say "Wherefore art thou Aniki?" or at least "Why are you Aniki" instead of "why are you my Aniki", since it's pretty clear she's referencing the play and the very slight correlation of being in love with someone whose very name makes their love "forbidden".
I find this idea worthy of consideration. In fact, you're probably right.

As for the original raw, in Japanese, she says 「どうして兄貴は兄貴なの?」, which-- without any context inference-- can be read as "Why is [aniki], [aniki]?" On one hand, this is following the essence of that line in the play (i.e. "Romeo, why are you Romeo?", or essentially, "why did you have to be born as someone I can't be with?").

That said, a reference is a reference. Her Japanese is modern and standard, so it's most appropriate to translate that in Modern English rather than Early Modern English. Also in the raws, Hinata reciting the script segment is done in modern standard Japanese, so it's possible that their play's dialogues are altogether in modern standard Japanese and not in any earlier form that would be best recontextualized for an English audience as Early Modern English.

I think it's fine that it's brought up in a chapter discussion, but it might have been good to bring up the possibility of this in a translator's note.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Damn, didn't realize that Romeo and Juliet have the same bad ending as your usual incest manga

Dex-chan lover
Yaaaaay this series is baccc thank you RadeonScanss!!

Dex-chan lover
As for the original raw, in Japanese, she says 「どうして兄貴は兄貴なの?」, which-- without any context inference-- can be read as "Why is [aniki], [aniki]?"
If you're interested, Juliet says 「おゝ、ロミオ、ロミオ! 何故(なぜ)卿(おまへ)はロミオぢゃ!」 in some translation I found (Wikisource). Quite a bit more dramatic (obviously) but same meaning.

Group Leader
Thanks for the translation.

I find this idea worthy of consideration. In fact, you're probably right.

As for the original raw, in Japanese, she says 「どうして兄貴は兄貴なの?」, which-- without any context inference-- can be read as "Why is [aniki], [aniki]?" On one hand, this is following the essence of that line in the play (i.e. "Romeo, why are you Romeo?", or essentially, "why did you have to be born as someone I can't be with?").

That said, a reference is a reference. Her Japanese is modern and standard, so it's most appropriate to translate that in Modern English rather than Early Modern English. Also in the raws, Hinata reciting the script segment is done in modern standard Japanese, so it's possible that their play's dialogues are altogether in modern standard Japanese and not in any earlier form that would be best recontextualized for an English audience as Early Modern English.

I think it's fine that it's brought up in a chapter discussion, but it might have been good to bring up the possibility of this in a translator's note.
Fixed! And yes, you are correct to assume that the script segment overall is in modern standard Japanese as mentioned by Hinata in page 11 - "Itou-san has arranged the lines to make them easier to say".

Dex-chan lover
think of the poor typesetter oobaka

Dex-chan lover
Fixed! And yes, you are correct to assume that the script segment overall is in modern standard Japanese as mentioned by Hinata in page 11 - "Itou-san has arranged the lines to make them easier to say".
IMO the line should have been "Wherefore art thou, Aniki?" simply because that's how us native English speakers know it and we would then be more likely to get the reference to the play. English speaking fans are the intended audience for these translations, after all.

"Wherefore" is a very archaic word meaning "Why" or "For what reason". But many native English readers actually don't know that. Many think Juliet is asking "Where are you, Romeo?" but she is really asking "Why are you, Romeo?" This may be why the English to Japanese translations of Shakespeare's play might have translated the intended meaning. There might be no archaic Japanese equivalent to "wherefore" and had to use the Japanese word for "why".

So, "Why are you, Aniki" went right over most of the English readers heads.

Users who are viewing this thread