Jui-san no Oshigoto in Isekai - Ch. 33 - Triumphant Return

It's a land dragon, named 'cat', that acts like an affectionate dog. Talk about a confused identity.

Was honestly expecting more to happen with buying Liz, and chastising the jackass noble. They just kinda introduced a shady shota, implied that the ownership was passed over to Kazami, and then washed their hands of that whole plotline. Quite an anticlimax, though I suppose it's better than unnecessary drama.
Wish there was more time spent on the interactions and relationships between characters, like with the revolutionary previously, rather than speeding from arc to arc. The research of antibiotics is interesting and all, but can we at least see how, if at all, the events of past arc have impacted the attitudes and interactions of characters now? Any kind of depth? Please?

Dex-chan lover
@theroadstopshere To be fair, nothing would change between Liz and Shingo on the surface, at least. Liz is still a slave, as well, even if the owner changed. Already when she wasn't his, she took everything out of knowing Shingo wouldn't really treat her like the humans of the kingdom normally treat slaves. That same behavior just continues now. If this wasn't a story by a Japanese author, I'd say that as long as she remains a slave, regardless of the owner, there will always be a huge psychological wall between them, but knowing that the Japanese generally view slavery in a very positive light, I doubt it will play a role here. Perhaps her behavior won't change as long as Shingo continues like he does. If I just disregard the Japanese love of slavery, I could view Liz's behavior as quite interesting, between how she views her life as worth less than free people's and how she acts willfully if not kept in check by the owner. She is, by far, the most interesting character.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme why japanese love for slavery^^ we had it just like them and most isekai have a medival setting...also magic ... if we had something like slavemagic i promise you we would still use slaves... we didnt abolish it because of morals but because of its ineffectivity

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
Japanese generally view slavery in a very positive light
How did you come up with that? The subject of slavery in modern Japanese literature has always been viewed as dark, immoral, and degrading.
Rather than slavery itself being viewed in a positive light, it's trope subversion - it may be fetishized or viewed as utilitarian and necessary. Oftentimes, it's just a convenient plot device, being a shortcut for the protagonist to meet their future allies.
On a side note, "slaves knights" aren't unique to web/light novels, and historically had also been held in high regard e.g. the Janissaries

Dex-chan lover
@Bluedudu Generally speaking in modern Western literature you won't find (otherwise decent) characters who desire slaves and see nothing wrong about slavery. A historical setting is irrelevant because the MC in an isekai title is one from the modern time, so it naturally reflects the modern attitudes.

@jonsmth Isekai is mega popular in Japan, and half of the works (if not more) present slavery in a positive light, either by having the MC (who's a modern person) possess slaves willingly (sometimes exceedingly willingly) or even going as far as making the locals want to be the MC's slaves. In fact I can't remember a bloody single isekai where the MC would have been really viewing it as a disgusting system or being able to sympathise with the slaves' position realistically.

It's not just a question of individual authors having that attitude or even editors/publishers not minding it, it's a question of the myriad readers enjoying it and buying more.

@Kaarme

Lv2 kara Cheat datta Moto Yuusha Kouho no Mattari Isekai Life
dude hates slavery and even when he had the option almost forced upon him he denied it to the end, just thought you might like to give it a read

Dex-chan lover
@ch-apocalypse Perhaps I should, to get a more balanced view. Good to know such series exist. Too bad it seems to be one of the absolutely OP MC series. I'm getting a little bit tired of them.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
I'm guessing that slavery in isekai is well liked is because there's nothing more wish fulfilling than having a companion that can't betray you.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, I'm confused.
How is spraying inflammable liquid capable of becoming fire?

Dex-chan lover
@Echonic Who knows. I've lived all of my life in a Western country where individuality, personal space, humans rights and freedoms are emphasized (and a heavy price was paid for them). So, I can't help but feel depriving someone of all of their freedoms is a very ugly fate and deed. I doubt I'm alone with this mentality. Asia at large is a much more community based society and culture, however.

As long as there's a master and a slave, there can't be real trust. So, while there might not be a betrayal in magically enforced slavery, there's no genuine trust either. I'd rather have someone help/serve me because they want to than because they haven't got a choice.

The series where usually women are willingly becoming the MC's slaves are just pure mockery of everything. The ones where the society just happens to be full of slavery (like was common in real history as well) and the MC decides to play along are a little bit better.

Of course I exaggerated greatly by saying Japan loves slavery, but based on all the isekai a good chunk of them do.

Dex-chan lover
@BanditHadron
Right, I keep forgetting that they were the same thing.
I still don't know why both are needed in the language if it means the same thing.

Dex-chan lover
@onipuck
From Merriam-Webster:
"Inflammable and flammable are synonyms and mean "able to burn" even though they look like opposites. In this case, rather than the prefix in- meaning "not," as it often does, "inflammable" comes from the latin verb inflammare, which means "to cause to catch fire." "Flammable" was coined later from a translation of the latin verb flammare ("to catch fire"), which inflammare is related to."

Now, on your question as to why they're both needed... They're not, but plenty of words that aren't needed are still around.

"You are the genuine article" - never heard that before, is that the fancy version of "you are the real deal" ?

Users who are viewing this thread