Juunenme, Kikan wo Akirameta Tenisha wa Imasara Shujinkou ni naru - Vol. 2 Ch. 8 - The Slumbering Giant Awakens

Dex-chan lover
I really doubt this is the case.
  • Makes no sense that an entire guild (+ the ppl that talked to mc. + the mc. + the know-it-all mcguffin twins) in charge of a city with a dungeon, won't know what its clearing entails. Unless the weak monsters are already worthless enough that from a profit-standpoint it is a moot point whether it was destroyed or left existing but with weak monsters.
  • Clearing it as revenge makes little sense if it has no impact. That makes it no more than a publicity stunt, which if it was worthwhile doing, they likely would have done to market their potions to begin with.
Yeah, sorry, you're right. I reread the WN, they know about "clearing dungeons". But they (merchants and most of the people in this world) don't know how to make this weak monster into a profitable product. The twins knew some weak monsters that could be profitable.

Then the merchants (and some of the townspeople) were afraid of "change". With the dungeon sealed, the city could no longer rely on adventuring as a business. They have to change the type of business they do, but some of them are reluctant to adapt. For example, the inn business for adventurers no longer profitable. According to the twins, switching to leather and yarn industries was the most sensible path, because there were several weak monsters that could become sources of fabrics. Still, economic recessions that usually occur in the first years after a dungeon is sealed, adding the merchants' reluctance to accept change.

Dex-chan lover
I said portable, not potable. This isn't about the wine, which is actually the least offensive product, it's the powder packets fitted inside the bottles.

That's ALSO what I said? That them making sparkling potion PORTABLE was THE initial business, aiming towards adventurers.

Dex-chan lover
Plenty of businesses have (esp. in non-modern times) high risk of death or injury associated with the business. (Mining: cave ins, explosions, fires, falls). Fishing (boat sinking, getting washed overboard).

If the dungeon is driving the local economy, I would expect "Dungeon must not be sealed." to be an openly known and enforced rule. That's just common sense and in the best interest of everyone in the town.

Dex-chan lover
That's ALSO what I said? That them making sparkling potion PORTABLE was THE initial business, aiming towards adventurers.
No, making sparkling potions available in the city itself was the initial business. Making them portable was not only the real critical factor for dungeon exploration, it also accelerates the reverse-engineering because you can literally see the powders, such that only a nuclear option would put a stop to them.

Dex-chan lover
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Dex-chan lover
No, making sparkling potions available in the city itself was the initial business. Making them portable was not only the real critical factor for dungeon exploration, it also accelerates the reverse-engineering because you can literally see the powders, such that only a nuclear option would put a stop to them.

Except you seem to somehow forget they literally made order for the portable bottle BEFORE EVEN SELLING A SINGLE ONE

And their initial target audience ARE adventurers.

So, again, portable potion IS their initial business.
Unless you can show otherwise that they had other target audience in mind, just stop.

Dex-chan lover
Dex-chan lover
Well I didn't expect this to be the way it'd go, with the merchant guild wanting to kill the product altogether vs just making it for themselves.

But also, uhhhh maybe it's just me, but "let's get rid of their reason for denying us, let's clear the dungeon!" doesn't seem like the best response. Considering the reason the guild wants to deny the potions is that they want the dungeon to exist for profit, destroying the dungeon does remove their reason to deny the potion sales, sure, but it also makes you Enemy #1 by destroying their profit. It's essentially destroying the merchant guild's business out of counter-spite, why the hell would the guild not decide to go after them after pulling this? It's not like they'd just go "oh gee, the dungeon's gone and our profits are tanking, due to you! Guess it's time to be your buddy, ha ha!"

Similarly, after pulling this, everywhere else with an interest in keeping their dungeons active would see this action for the blackmail that it essentially is.

Dex-chan lover
If you're not interested, you can stop asking. The sparkling potion would've been plenty useful for adventurers working on the beginner floors.

'asking' what?

You made a statement that was just plain out wrong, so I corrected you.
Then you insist you weren't wrong, and I even linked the actual chapter pages to show you WERE wrong.

The fact you bring up 'beginner floors' just prove even more you didn't seem to understand why they made it portable.

EDIT:
The story even showed how fragile the potion can be

Dex-chan lover
'asking' what?

You made a statement that was just plain out wrong, so I corrected you.
Then you insist you weren't wrong, and I even linked the actual chapter pages to show you WERE wrong.

The fact you bring up 'beginner floors' just prove even more you didn't seem to understand why they made it portable.
You have thoroughly misunderstood everything I've said, and I don't really have to respond to every attempt you're making to prove me wrong. We can't even agree to disagree because you're stuck there.

Double-page supporter
You have thoroughly misunderstood everything I've said, and I don't really have to respond to every attempt you're making to prove me wrong. We can't even agree to disagree because you're stuck there.
What are you two even arguing about
I keep reading
"They're selling sparkling potions!"
"No, They're selling sparkling potions."
"No, you don't get it, They're selling sparkling potions."
"No no no, They're selling sparkling potions."

Dex-chan lover

Feel free to explain the part in your original post "if they at least didn't make the portable versions"
I do agree that the rapid development of their businesses could've been done better. If they at least didn't make the portable versions, there would've been enough time to profit before the whole thing was shut down.

When as I said the portable version is literally their first product.

What are you two even arguing about
I keep reading
"They're selling sparkling potions!"
"No, They're selling sparkling potions."
"No, you don't get it, They're selling sparkling potions."
"No no no, They're selling sparkling potions."

See above.
To him apparently they could've made for non-portable version of sparkling potion to avoid the whole better progress of the dungeon and somehow still make profits.

But that ignore the fact that the potion's target audience was primarily adventurers (because sparkling potion is better than normal potion) and that the twins making it portable solved both of the issues initially presented (the potion either break from motion or it loses the fizz with time which seem to also lose the extra potency)

Not to mention what the customers do with what they bought isn't something the merchant really have control over.

Dex-chan lover
So they can't agree to just sell the powder to the bartenders for sparkling drinks? Like, that's just nonsensical.

Also, lets say the dungeon does collapse and pretend absolutely no profit can be made from the dungeon afterwards:

1) Sparkling drinks and potions won't stop being wanted or needed. This means

2) There's still a need tons of glass bottles for mass production.

3) Wine makers don't need to be near a dungeon to make profit.

Like, as far as I can tell, all of these businesses have so much business and potential with the sparkling [insert liquid here] industry that they should consider making their own union instead of backing out.

Or perhaps all of these business owners lack that much ambition?

Finally the main character takes the story into his hands, instead of being pushed around by the girls with no decisions of his own. Last few chapters really felt like a bait and switch.

Double-page supporter
This doesnt feel like that kind of story but I wonder if, after they clear the dungeon will there be resentment from the populace that relied on it for a stable living
Most likely, though merchants that are like those who were partnered with them, and those who don’t rely on dungeon drops exclusively, will take a hit but will still be able to operate, heck they might Even thank them since their safety will now be secured thanks to them beating the dungeon. basically it’ll be a 50/50 type of reaction where people who care more about profit will hate, and ones who care about their safety will be glad and thankfu.

Dex-chan lover
So, uh, how old ARE they? If they're at least 15, but presumably under Japanese drinking age...?

Users who are viewing this thread