Kainushi Juujin to Petto Joshikousei - Ch. 24 - Zinovy, What Do You Think?

Group Leader
Good chapter, I'll miss this series.

This chapter was the last main chapter published back in March 2020. I still have some bonus ones to typeset later on, but the story's effectively over. 😢

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translations. I read them a while back on Pixiv comics but it's always a treat reading them in English instead of playing "learn the new vocab" game.
I look forward to seeing your next TL, if you still plan on continuing. Any ideas on what it might be? Will it be another blast from the past?

Group Leader
I actually am translating several other series at the moment, although many were not abadoned as long and are very different in content than this one.

I actually have a few more blasts from the past planned that will remain a suprise, but two at least haven't been translated for 9+ years lol

Supporter
aw, that's depressing
as soon as Lila/Aki got a foothold, it's over. and dead 3 years ago, at that.

ah well. I said it before, but this is way better than I thought it was gonna be.

since this one's incomplete, does anyone know of any similar stories?
you'd have no idea what kind of story this is from just looking at the tags, so they're no help

Dex-chan lover
While the series is not official over, the author did just disappear, not using his twitter or pixiv accounts, so he either created new ones to escape the series OR he disappeared.

Dang I'm just glad u gave us some of that closure 🤧
Thx thx for translating dead ones for us 😢

Dex-chan lover
aw, that's depressing
as soon as Lila/Aki got a foothold, it's over. and dead 3 years ago, at that.

ah well. I said it before, but this is way better than I thought it was gonna be.

since this one's incomplete, does anyone know of any similar stories?
you'd have no idea what kind of story this is from just looking at the tags, so they're no help
Not a manga but a massive novel called 'Light on Shattered Water'. It's cover art is ass and does not do the story justice.

It's an old isekai by a Western author from way before isekais became popular so it's a bit dated. Classic guy gets transported to an alternate reality after death, but this time it's set in alternate America filled with giant anthro cats with his laptop. It's more grounded in reality so 'no magic, no status screen'.

It actually goes more in-depth with the concept of "different species, different culture, different world, different language" than everything I've ever read. Things like the MC can't speak or read in the beginning and has to slowly learn the language throughout the book actually has plot relevance. Even things like physiology or human psychology play a part with things like how we aren't built to speak their language and the way we express ourselves like smiling makes no sense to completely foreign creatures.

It also tackles the cultural and societal ramifications of bringing theoretical knowledge about modern technology without any of the experience or infrastructure that humanity as a whole gained from gradually invented these things from scratch. The otherworlders essentially get access to a mixed bag of information for things that they don't even have the technology to build like metal alloys that we take for granted mixed in with fictional but seemingly plausible stuff for creatures that don't know the actual context like laser blasters. They have to somehow figure out what's real and what isn't with what amounts to an offline version of Wikipedia while wrestling with language barriers that go both ways.

Great book, top-notch world building. And it's free on the author's website, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
[Obligatory Michael Crichton reference]
Zinovy: "Where did you learn our language?"
Aki: "I listened!"

Group Leader
Not a manga but a massive novel called 'Light on Shattered Water'. It's cover art is ass and does not do the story justice.

It's an old isekai by a Western author from way before isekais became popular so it's a bit dated. Classic guy gets transported to an alternate reality after death, but this time it's set in alternate America filled with giant anthro cats with his laptop. It's more grounded in reality so 'no magic, no status screen'.

It actually goes more in-depth with the concept of "different species, different culture, different world, different language" than everything I've ever read. Things like the MC can't speak or read in the beginning and has to slowly learn the language throughout the book actually has plot relevance. Even things like physiology or human psychology play a part with things like how we aren't built to speak their language and the way we express ourselves like smiling makes no sense to completely foreign creatures.

It also tackles the cultural and societal ramifications of bringing theoretical knowledge about modern technology without any of the experience or infrastructure that humanity as a whole gained from gradually invented these things from scratch. The otherworlders essentially get access to a mixed bag of information for things that they don't even have the technology to build like metal alloys that we take for granted mixed in with fictional but seemingly plausible stuff for creatures that don't know the actual context like laser blasters. They have to somehow figure out what's real and what isn't with what amounts to an offline version of Wikipedia while wrestling with language barriers that go both ways.

Great book, top-notch world building. And it's free on the author's website, if I remember correctly.
That sounds pretty awesome. Will definitely take a look.

Dex-chan lover
So sad to see that it went down, and that the original translations were so close to the "end". I looked up the author's accounts and they seemed to have just vanished, no tweets since January 2020 and no Pixiv uploads since I think 2017? I hope the author is alright and will return someday! They seem to really like this "genre" after all

Users who are viewing this thread