Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life

While I will drop this because of the lack of anything new, the execution and everything do make this a good manga. There isn't anything unreasonable happening and it seems to be pretty well structured.
The problem though is how generic this is. I mean Justanotherotaku57 showed it pretty well I would also add, that blacksmithing is also quite generic and if he gets more intimate with the beastkin or even marries her, that also wouldn't be unique. But while it is pretty generic, those less experienced with these tropes should like this well enough.

While this has a very calm beginning i feel like most forgot that this started with the hero and the demon queen fighting and eventually deciding on a truce BECAUSE of the blacksmith

yeah i guess the blacksmithing techniques are off but just ask yourself how many of us readers here are actually experts at blacksmithing...not saying that pointing it out is wrong tho just dont be unreasonable

I really do wish there was a bit more research done into tool making in general and blacksmithing in particular. Not to mention metallurgy.

There's amazing online resources available and plenty of videos aimed specifically at authors for fantasy works explaining the basics of early renaissance weapons, armour and tools. Tod's workshop, schola gladiatoria, skallagrim, etc etc.

All of the objects he makes were forged, not cast. Cast material doesn't take hardening and tempering. Cast iron is relatively new material with very high carbon content, so much that it's essentially iron carbide. Wrought iron is what would have been used for everyday objects, which has no carbon in it-- this you make by simple burning off all impurities during smelting by getting it as hot as you can. That doesn't temper or harden either. Steel-making is a delicate and complicated process where you need to get just the right amount of carbon. This was often done by folding organic material into the iron together with flux and cooking it off. The best historical steels were close to what we today call "mild steel", but they had lots of impurities compared to modern materials.

All of that is something I learnt after a few hours of research for a story I was writing, so I can say first hand that it doesn't take much to get at least some details right, it is a story about smithing after all....

this is actually good ! i like where the story going for now .. this is the only smith story that i know that looks like will focus on smithing .. and hes not that op

@sawada002
the smithing part is whats wrong... for real, the author has apparently no knowledge yet focuses intensely on the smithing process
i have second hand knowledge in smithing because i know a smith and have heard enough rants of hers and i feel the need to facepalm when i read the parts about smithing... i would strongly suspect a actual smith or highly qualified metal worker would feels much worse

Dex-chan lover
so... when will he make a weapon from Dragon scale or some high material?

I like it, many people pointed out the lack of knowledge related to smithing but what's bugging me is that despite being a story about a blacksmith and his craft, his creations lack details. They are beyond bland! As if the author was not done drawing them. (Knives & swords look flat, etc.)

@Aelfric

Yeah that is where I stopped reading in the WN. It actually specifically says in the novel and I paraphrasing "lets make a super special high quality custom sword today" then proceeds to cast everything from molten iron then sharpens it and calls it a day. If it were that easy, everyone could be a blacksmith. If you want to show a accurate depiction of blacksmithing maybe a little research would be in order is my complaint. Otherwise either macguffin the hell out of it with magical BS or simply be more vague. I could have lived with either of those options, but instead we get him doing things blatantly incorrectly but somehow being called some kind of master of blacksmithing. It just irked me to no end until i could not take it anymore.

I came out of curiosity and I'll stay because of the furry and loli. *Joking*
I would say that this is "interesting". Not mind blowing nor perfect, but interesting.

First, while the MC has a god-like skill, it's a crafting one that isn't too far cheating (like instantly creating or copying something out of thin air). The female character (main source of fan-service) is simple but still fun to watch and not a complete idiot only there for the sake of showing some panties or tits. The design of the female characters (kudo to the artist for that) is good in general. The cat girl has the hands and feet that fits her character and race (it's not just a bit of fur + tail, but actually has the feline feet and hands that goes with it.) Even the new dwarf girl has a surprising good design with her broad shoulder, large hand and long fingers. She doesn't look like a kid even if she's quite slim. (That is a mistake many artists do with "loli dwarf" where their body is based on the "common" 8 or 14 years old generic body.)

I also like the fact that the relation between the character is friendly, but not too innocent nor fast pacing. The guy recognize he saw a girl naked and act maturely about it and the girl take it cool and doesn't throw a fit for just some plot points. Then their relation move toward co-habitation with just the right amount of drop in the distance between the two over time.

It's still too soon to say if it will keep being this good, but at least for now I'm gladly reading this.

They 'cast' a steel sword with an open furnace.... no. that can't be done. copper or bronze? yes. But not steel.
You can fold iron hundreds of times after using a blume oven technique but it's a compromise. Watch a traditional katakana craftsman on youtube to see that.

But here, just pretend he's magically doing it as the story requires it. It's not the real focus of the story anyway. The 'slow life' is.
At least it better be... because the crafting ain't it chief.

Really, I'm just I'm here for the cat girl. lol

first fast and furious movies were focused on cars and tuning, and they had some impossible stuff too (like Nitrous exploding into a ball of flame) and no one really got that technical
so why y'all do that with smithing here?

I wonder why the two in the beginning don't want to make the MC mad.

Contributor
Hello guys! Make sure to check a new soon chapter on their official manga update page! Chapter 7 (raw) will release on 2021/02/26.

Dex-chan lover
Exactly what I am looking for: cute, happy, wholesome
(also bring back tiger girl boobs)

Author: i wanna make a story about a blacksmith crafting master works.

Author- doesn't know anything about blacksmithing.

Dex-chan lover
@Viper4K If I may answer. I believe it's because back then the knowledge about that stuff was limited and no one really cared. Now with the internet being as big as it is, information as prevalent as it is, there's no real excuse to take on such a subject without some cursory knowledge of it. There are even large Youtube channels dedicated to blacksmithing and explaining the process and decisions behind why they do what they do.

Heck, there are channels dedicated to explaining Medieval fighting techniques, I'm not even into these channels that much yet I've still learned some interesting stuff from it. These channels boast massive numbers and entire communities of people from the most hardcore to people like me. You'll also find that it's often the series that write what the author has some level of investment or knowledge in (or knows someone who does) are the ones that usually become highly popular niche series. The passion is in the product and the details push that fact home. People like information and they like seeing the author care.

tl;dr

What they did back in then, in the early 2000s, isn't an excuse in the year 2021. The knowledge about these subjects is too widespread and the level of knowledge held by the general public has grown immeasurably. So if you're going to do a series about something as detail focused as blacksmithing, you should have some knowledge of it. That is why the saying goes "Write what you know"

Users who are viewing this thread