Kakkoii Onnanoko to 12-centi no Yakusoku - Ch. 20 - Hero

Dex-chan lover
After 20 chapters, I finally realised why I can't feel anything for this romance. People like tomboys because we like seeing a girls blush from femininity. In this manga, she's a tomboy because she's born that way and does not care for femininity no matter what, and looks completely like a man. This manga doesn't want to 'turn its back' on her being handsome ikemen, however, it leaves it zero room for her appeal as a girl. She blushed simply because she's in love and her gender will never be brought up

This is BL for straight people.

P.s. if you want to see this concept done better, read nozaki-kun

Dex-chan lover
I'm sorry but after this chapter... how is not over for the girl? Lets all be real if it was the girl in his place she would just see him as a big brother a hero... nothing romantic here...

I'm interest to see how the author is going to make him fall in love with her...
Him seeing her as a hero isn't the full picture. His entire drive in doing what he does is to protect her smile. How is that not the most romantic shit already? They're closer to the finish line than it seems.

Dex-chan lover
It's funny, because Mangaplus sent me over to the next manga voting and told me to vote for their comics, but I saw this manga there and voted for it instead.

Shueisha has some good web manga, but their competitors in that space (that I voted for anyways) were better, imo.

Dex-chan lover
After 20 chapters, I finally realised why I can't feel anything for this romance. People like tomboys because we like seeing a girls blush from femininity. In this manga, she's a tomboy because she's born that way and does not care for femininity no matter what, and looks completely like a man. This manga doesn't want to 'turn its back' on her being handsome ikemen, however, it leaves it zero room for her appeal as a girl. She blushed simply because she's in love and her gender will never be brought up

This is BL for straight people.

P.s. if you want to see this concept done better, read nozaki-kun
Speak for yourself, I fucking hate the "tomboy is actually cute and girly but is to shy to admit it". Its a trope for people who likes handsome women but somehow needs them to also be feminine because they need to be reminded that the handsome person is a female or some shit.

No tomboys irl are actually like that. They are either completely veing honest about their preference in masculine stuff, or completely honest in liking feminine things while still be masculine.

Her "appeal as a girl" is that she is expressing herself the way she wanted to, even if it is not in line with what is considered "girly".

Like, you are basically saying tomboys who are not conventionally girly in any way shouldnt be treated as women, and thats kinds messed up.

Double-page supporter
Him seeing her as a hero isn't the full picture. His entire drive in doing what he does is to protect her smile. How is that not the most romantic shit already? They're closer to the finish line than it seems.
I think you are seeing this wrong... protecting her smile more like... being her support for her to be the hero he can't... there is nothing romantic there... is higher than the friendzone... is some big brother/Sister shit... if she was a dude it would be game over for the character after this chapter...

Hell if it was not for the name and there was another girl we all know it would be over for her... Classic childhood friend steeping Stone.

Double-page supporter
Speak for yourself, I fucking hate the "tomboy is actually cute and girly but is to shy to admit it". Its a trope for people who likes handsome women but somehow needs them to also be feminine because they need to be reminded that the handsome person is a female or some shit.

No tomboys irl are actually like that. They are either completely veing honest about their preference in masculine stuff, or completely honest in liking feminine things while still be masculine.

Her "appeal as a girl" is that she is expressing herself the way she wanted to, even if it is not in line with what is considered "girly".

Like, you are basically saying tomboys who are not conventionally girly in any way shouldnt be treated as women, and thats kinds messed up.
I think he is saying in a story sense...
Like the ex he gave, after 20 chapter there is no romantic felling at all, she needs to be assertive or needs to turn more of a girlly style with cloths and stuff like that.

That is what he is trying to say... left alone this dude Will never see her as a romantic partner... it got worst after this chapter.

Dex-chan lover

My point is that there is zero point in her being a girl if no one acknowledges it, not even the girl herself, or the MC. It is simply labelling her as a romance character with nothing else. Her masculinity is not interesting if they don't acknowledge her as a girl. 'She' is just boyish, her gender doesn't matter. She might as well just be a man, almost zero changes. I'd argue it'd be a lot more enjoyable if she was a man because embarrassed handsome boys is cuter and more interesting. BL can handle gender roles better, as girls can appreciate the appeal of an embarrassed boy. This has failed to appeal to either men or women, it is just romance with zero substance.

I think its fine to create a story where you want a character who wants to approach their identity in their own way and stick to it, but this doesnt concentrate on how she approaches her identity as a girl much, and focuses on her 'cute' romcom with another 'handsome' guy. It's weak in its vision and execution

I should've also mentioned another trope of tomboys is the MC getting embarrassed by his childhood friend because he is aware of her as a girl while she isn't. There are many ways to handle a tomboy character, this does not acknowledge her as a girl or boyish or anything.

Check out nozaki-kun, it features these two side characters, Hori and Kashima, which are exactly this trope and it's done in a much cuter fashion. Kashima is a handsome ikemen who Hori wants to support and bring out her full potential. They have a really interesting relationship of actor and set dresser as kashima wants hori to acknowledge her (platonically(?)). So often, kashima would dress beautifully and femininely, but hori would correct her costume and bring out her handsome-ness. They also form such a strong bond as best friends and hangs out a lot to the point where hori often forgets that kashima is a girl, so when hori remembers and acknowledges her as a girl, the pay-off is massive and adorable to see.

Again, there's zero point to your character being a girl who acts tomboyish, if you don't want gender roles to matter to every character. Then it is just a person who acts a bit manly. There is no depth to this character or the story

Dex-chan lover
Again, there's zero point to your character being a girl who acts tomboyish, if you don't want gender roles to matter to every character. Then it is just a person who acts a bit manly. There is no depth to this character or the story
Its like you're ignoring how the story has treated Ibuki because Tomo doesn't blush at the fact of remembering she's a girl. This chapter proves that the only reason these two are so close was because Ibuki was picked on because she's seen as masculine girl. Just because it not highlighted in their romance doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

You're as bad as these kids because Ibuki shows off her fiminity on her own terms. We've seen Ibuki wear heels, a Kimono, and was given earrings and had her ears pierced by Tomo because she thought they wouldn't look good on her. Just because these characters are secure with themselves doesn't mean they were always that way and this story goes out of its way to flash back to when they weren't. And almost everytime its about the two of them, And even when its the two of them, its mostly about what Tomo has done for Ibuki. I don't even want to say that this story sounds more sublte then the example you brought up, its just a differetn flavor of the same thing.

Dex-chan lover
Its like you're ignoring how the story has treated Ibuki because Tomo doesn't blush at the fact of remembering she's a girl. This chapter proves that the only reason these two are so close was because Ibuki was picked on because she's seen as masculine girl. Just because it not highlighted in their romance doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

You're as bad as these kids because Ibuki shows off her fiminity on her own terms. We've seen Ibuki wear heels, a Kimono, and was given earrings and had her ears pierced by Tomo because she thought they wouldn't look good on her. Just because these characters are secure with themselves doesn't mean they were always that way and this story goes out of its way to flash back to when they weren't. And almost everytime its about the two of them, And even when its the two of them, its mostly about what Tomo has done for Ibuki. I don't even want to say that this story sounds more sublte then the example you brought up, its just a differetn flavor of the same thing.

Dex-chan lover
iu

Users who are viewing this thread