Kingdom - Vol. 58 Ch. 630 - Gap Between Heaven and Earth

Double-page supporter
@N1Degenerate

Magic wasn't a thing before now. They weren't actually summoning gods into them themselves - they are priestess-assassins, so it's their religion and lifestyle to believe it. From what it appears to be, is altered states of mind to surpass limits. For instance, the holding breath for more explosive muscle power thing part of the priestess dance? Boxers do that. Hers is just muchly exaggerated to make her into a sexy blender.

If magic were real, Houken would be absolutely worthless. His whole gig was to try and transcend reality and obtain the supernatural like a xianxia cultivator seeking the Dao. If the priestess-assassin clan he looked down on had already been doing that for a thousand years, what sense would that make?

@Kayriel

I don't see how you could explain one of the early fights with Kyoukai against Shin in chapter 88 without god summoning magic. She just stood on the end of his sword, completely weightless for what seems like a good amount of time. Definitely more of a supernatural moment as opposed to muscle dudes cutting through 8 people at once.

Double-page supporter
@Kinmit

We will attribute that not to her being weightless but Shin being ridiculously strong. Come on, picture it with me. This way we avoid massive plot holes that invalidate a significant portion of the main character's progression.

The wuxia bits are cool. What sucks is the endless retreading of the woman suffering to redeem a dude trope. Kyoukai is a cool character and having her spend her life like this to buy Shin’s is just garbo.

Whatever she has if its magic or breathing techniques that let a 15 year old girl cut up 100 guys in full armour we can all agree this resurrection shit belongs in a different manga.

Thanks for the chapter.

If Kyoukai dies I'd be immensely disappointed but I'd still continue reading.

Dex-chan lover
Come on, author-san, don't pull this one on us.

@beeqwop: so if its a dude suffering to redeem another dude then its ok to you?

@tearsax I hear there’s a whole website where you can look up tropes as a stepping stone to doing your own homework. have fun!

Dex-chan lover
I was re-reading the series, and Kyoukai's healing abilities were mentioned earlier in this arc - in chapter 501, where she jokes about a technique to share life force energy with Shin, in chapter 587 where she's summoned to Ouhon's tent to provide special medical aid, and they credit her healing techniques with getting Ouhon back up on his feet in chapter 601.

and I vaguely recall her abilities in this area being mentioned in much earlier chapters, too. So this isn't coming totally out of nowhere, is what I'm saying.

Aggregator gang
It is as @pdonk says. I don't know why people bitch about Kyoukai's healing abilities. It's been built gradually by Hara, and the first instance of it was when Kyoukai healed Shin after the assassination attempt at Sei. It's not unusual or out of place at all.

Users who are viewing this thread