Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet - Vol. 12 Ch. 83 - Romio, Leon and the Secret (Part II)

Fed-Kun's army
@AnonDePlume im talking about "an enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing" no im not talking about Resource war im talking about an enemy that exist to annihilate them so they either cooperate and drive their enemy together or die because of their selfishness

Aggregator gang
Really? Literally kidnapping and forced marriage of a grown ass woman, and this is suppose to be believable or drive up sympathy? Come on, it's like a caricature villain's past. You don't just drop that shit all in one chapter and expect people to take it and run with it. It's not set in the 18th century. It looks ridiculous and contrived.

Dex-chan lover
i wonder if they could do something to get her mom back, coz that would be an insta-save for her

Dex-chan lover
CGxvAeP.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I was expecting death from hate crimes.

@Yautja Yeah, I know it's meant to be an alternate world or whatever, but it just feels a bit too ridiculous.

Dex-chan lover
@Yautja @ReaperCreeper
Quite believable i'd say, especially if that happens with silent agreement from higher-ups (given high standing of mother's family, that's not far-fetched). Neighbors didn't really want to take much part in it either. Unfortunately, there are places like this even IRL (just usually happens between regions of one country instead of between two nations).

@HYBRID_BEING
While the neighbors' inaction is very believable, that a group of Westerners could outright kidnap someone in another country feels too forced.

That said, I admit that the series has never hidden that nobility is serious business in the West. It's basically the reason behind Juliet's efforts (as the only daughter in an aristocracy that values boys more, she feels a lot of pressure) and Abby's campaign speech (the higher classes treat the lower classes like shit, and that behavior is imitated by children).

@Yautja @Misticsan @HYBRID_BEING

It's set in a fictional world that operates on a system of nobility, where status and whom you have relationships with is very important.
It's based in a world, where these two nations have deep seeded hatred for each other, even in peace. Let's not forget this is based on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, where two clans were in a blood feud. The relationship between Touwa and The West is not much different.

Leon's mother had to hide her face while living in Touwa, because she knew she would not be accepted by the Touwans, any more than her family would accept her marriage to a Touwan. Since the people of that neighborhood resented her presence there, why would they lift a finger to stop her from being hauled off?

If Leon's grandmother had enough political influence, I am sure the Touwan government allowed her in to kidnap her daughter, to keep their cease fire with the West. Also, again, why would the Touwans care that a Westian is being taken out of their country? They don't see her as a Touwan citizen. In fact, she may even be considered an illegal immigrant. I'm sure the Touwan government would have been just fine with a Westian being taken out of their country by her family in order to avoid any sort of diplomatic process if Leon's grandmother were to go to Westia's government and possibly even assert that her daughter was kidnapped by a Touwan.

Yes, this type of stuff has happened. Noble girls were often just married off to increase their family's standing, and they were given no say in who they married.

Heck even today in some countries run on Sharia law, girls are dragged out of the house of their husbands by their own fathers and brothers and killed in "honor killings", because they married or loved men who were not approved by their family.

I think the events in this are very believable based on the world that has been set up in the manga for 83 chapters. However, in this case, Leon should hate the Touwans as equally as she hates the Westians.

Aggregator gang
@HYBRID_BEING @HOOfan_1
Problem is, this is a modern setting with two grown ass adults. Imagine Japan and Britain hated each others guts, do you honestly expect me to believe they'd kidnap each's citizens / residents if they were originally born in their respective country? No. It's a fucking joke. It's not Romeo & Juliet's time period, it's not some 2nd or 3rd world country on our Earth, it isn't believable. It's two modern, 1st world countries who hate each other. There's a reason I have particular problem with this happening in 1 chapter. There's no build up, no background knowledge, nothing. Frankly, most of your justifications are conjecture, conjecture that comes off a contrivance more than anything.

@Yautja

You do realise that that's happened in the past, and still happens TODAY, right? Being an adult doesn't put up a forcefield of protection around you. It wouldn't happen in say England or America (these days), but there are absolutely countries out there where an adult can be nabbed and/or forced into marriage and people will just look the other way.

In this instance, it's "Westians dealing with Westian problems". The Touwans aren't gonna get involved because it's none of their business, she's just a Westian and they're "just returning her to where she belongs". As for them getting away with it in the West, we can assume that arranged marriages are common practice over there, or else "those with power decide the rules".

@Yautja It isn't a modern setting. It's a fictional world. We've been through 83 chapters of content that point out that these societies do not function like modern first world nations. They function based on a system of nobility. Just because they drive cars that look like our modern cars, doesn't mean that their societies operate the same way our societies operate. There are plenty of alternate world/alternate history shows and books out there that show how altering history can change the course of events.

There's been more than enough build up. How about the fact that a noble born Westian (Juliet's father) was forced out of the academy for dating a Touwan (Romio's mother)? How about the fact that Romio and Juliet have been afraid that they would be kicked out if found out? How about Romio's brother threatening to kick him out of their clan because his relationship with Juliet could stain the clan's reputation and even strain the peace between Touwa and Westia? We've had 83 chapters full of evidence that neither side wants to see their people in a relationship with someone from the opposing country.

There's been far less believable things that have happened in this manga than this and I never saw anyone complain about them. How about the regular feats of super human strength shown by the likes of Romi, Airu, Somali and Cait Sith?

Fed-Kun's army
Is it just me, or is there significantly more racism coming from the west?

@HOOfan_1 @Yautja
I understand that they were going for a "Romeo and Juliet" vibe (I mean, it's in the freaking title!) and that, as I myself pointed out, aristocracy is very important in this setting, especially for the West. I also understand that kidnappings and forced marriages are sadly common in certain societies. Problem is, this isn't happening in the same society.

Capulets and Montagues were part of the same city, but Touwa and the West are two different countries. Modern countries, as Yautja points out. Even if Touwan authorities don't care about the fate about a Westian woman, having Westian nobles just appear in the middle of a Touwan city and take a person while restraining a Touwan citizen sounds, on paper, like something worthy of a diplomatic incident. It makes a mockery of their state boundaries. Of course, as you point out, there are certain explanations. Like the grandmother having a lot of political clout; this event could have been tolerated or allowed in the name of diplomatic appeasement. It's not impossible to explain. But, as Yautja says, we only have our own conjectures.

Perhaps in future chapters someone will point out how bizarre the whole affair sounds from an international perspective? I can see Juliet or even Romio's brother using their connections to look into the matter (and both countries being pressured into solving it to avoid being exposed).

@Misticsan. But they aren't modern countries, they are fictional countries in an alternate world. There are plenty of fictional works about alternate histories or alternate worlds that play on settings that seem familiar as having modern technology, but the societies operate in completely different ways than our modern society.

As I pointed out above. Romio's mother and Juliet's father were both pushed out of Dhalia academy for dating someone from the opposing country, even though Juliet's father is a high ranking noble. Airu was so concerned that Romio's involvement with Julia would threaten the currently peaceful relations between Touwa and Westia, that he was willing to kick his own brother out of not only the academy, but disown him and kick him out of the family.

If relationships between Touwans and Westians are that taboo, then I am sure the Touwan government would be more than happy to see one broken up and a Westian taken out of their country. As for allowing the Westians in, and overlooking that they assaulted a Touwan citizen in doing so, as I suggested before, perhaps Leon's mother went through diplomatic channels from Westia to Touwa and informed them she planned to retrieve her daughter whom she considered being held illegally in Touwa. Her daughter is of noble birth, Leon's father is of commoner birth, so I am not sure the Touwan government would object too highly to him being restrained in order for Leon's grandmother to remove Leon's mother from Touwa. In fact, they may even consider it part of his punishment for even daring to form a relationship with a Westian.

Sure they didn't explain every single little detail about how or why it went down, but that doesn't make it completely unbelievable as some people here are contending. Just looking at the technology of these countries may make them appear like modern first world countries in our world, but the societies have been shown to operate differently.

Users who are viewing this thread