Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 14 Ch. 151 - Here, at Kamogawa

Omg I jokingly commented "oh hey Kenta" in last chapter and it ACTUALLY what Kiyo's response is?? This girl is NPC now, she doesn't have emotion like in early chapters anymore. :( I still like the series, but they might as well change the title, now that the focus is hardly on Kiyo or her kitchen anymore.

I don’t know. I don’t think Kenta has a chance with Kiyo. It is enough to see the difference with which she greeted him after so long that they did not see each other, with the few times in which Suu left “home” for a few days: for the first a greeting as a simple friend, for the second it was almost enough to meet them with the romantic background music and the cherry petals fluttering around...

I'm more concerned with Kiyo's grandma. She's left alone in Aomori and now no one help her with difficult chores like plowing snow etc. Poor granny

Dex-chan lover
@nutman451 Could you describe what's going on with Komi and Horimiya? It is possible through PM, if it is offtopic here.

@alacaelum Do you feel a little uncomfortable with how unemotional Kiyo is?

@Hinji , I'm also concerned with Kiyo's grandmother. I know how Kiyo is really emotionless, I'm sure we'd see some emotion from Kiyo if the author chooses to K word Kiyo's granny :c

@DjAlexDubCheck
Aw don't be such a sourpuss, we're just discussing (read: complaining) how the series has changed focus. Why don't you throw in your two bits or complain on why we're wrong for complaining, I welcome it

@DjAlexDubCheck
Oh right, thanks for the recommendation, but I'm sorry to say it may not be my cup of tea. Read the first 5 chapters and it's all about misunderstandings and there's no sign of them clearing it up any time soon. I'll try picking it up again when i get the motivation

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan No. Because people have different ways of showing their emotions, and even if Kiyo is a tough cookie she has an open heart and isnt afraid of showing it.

Kiyo isn't is really unemotional she is just weird.

@alacaelum
I really dont see where this changed, i understood what you are saying but as far as i can see Suu-chan still as competent as ever.
Agree to disagree I suppose, Granted i don't see it as a bad thing, I just want less of it.
With Kenta now in the picture more frequently things will change again.
Which isn't the direction it's going by the looks of it XD
I appreciate the empathy/understanding though.

This manga doesn't exactly fall in this example, as it is a true slice-of-life this just goes with the flow and at some points presenting little conflicts that develop the story but truth be told i dont think this has a "story" this is their lives and we are witnessing them, and at some points, we need to change a little to feel new things.
Yes, this manga does fall under "pure" slice of life since the premise found in the first chapter never state any goal but rather how Kiyo manages the kitchen for the maikos. But can't you tell there's a (admittedly subtle) shift from the initial "no overarching story" to now "Suu's love life" being the center of the story? most of the time when we're in Suu's perspective, it's about or involves one of the two people she deeply cares about, Kiyo and Kenta.

Kiyo is the rock where this story supports itself, this girl is another level of stoic.
@SuperOniichan

I'm somewhat on alacaelum's side on this.

Kiyo isn't emotionless, more like she doesn't let her emotions take over her. Which is a tennant of stoicism. This chapter shows it perfectly, you see Suu being overcome with emotion at seeing Kenta. Her emotions gagged her despite having so many questions in her mind. Then her eyes move to his arm that is no longer in a plaster, signalling he's fine now which made her cry in relief. Meanwhile Kiyo looks up at kenta, goes obaa-san "ara", and then asked if he's okay. When he answered in the positive she smiles and affirms to him that she's okay too with a reassuring smile. Later Suu-chan still stares in disbelief while Kiyo is already over it, focused on the next task at hand (granted they both have different information which justified Suu's reaction but my point still stand).

However I do think Kiyo is somewhat too stoic for what would be normal for a Highschool girl, but hey. Weirdoes exist.

Edit: no i did not call Kiyo a weirdo just because Alacaelum called her weird, I was typing this before his reply.

Dex-chan lover
@nutman451 Kio being a weirdo isnt all that difficult to see, in the story they already said it XD.

Well, in the end, everyone has an opinion, and as far as i can see none of us is exactly wrong but let's be careful that these discussions dont make a turn and start to be in the way of our enjoyment.

This series still is a "feels good" ride and if it still accomplishes that the rest is just us nitpicking for a little more fun.

Dex-chan lover
@alacaelum Then why are you unhappy with her reaction? Or have I misunderstood you?

@nutman451 I don't know how in English, but when in my language they call someone a stoic, they usually mean the most brutal men and women with steel balls, who are ready to put their hand into the fire with an extremely stern face to confirm something, lol. Therefore, it's easier for me to take Kiyo as a phlegmatic person who doesn't show much emotion than "stoic". Although after your explanation, I more or less understood what you both meant. Well, while I personally feel uncomfortable with such people because I can't understand their thinking and predict it enough, it's not a big problem here.

@SuperOniichan
I don't know how in English, but when in my language they call someone a stoic, they usually mean the most brutal men and women with steel balls, who are ready to put their hand into the fire with an extremely stern face to confirm something, lol.
Holy shit, lol.

When I mean stoicism, it means the refusal to give in to emotion and to accept any and every outcome of life. It derives mainly from the greek philosophy, however I am not equipped to explain about the philosophy in any deep or meaningfull way.

@alacaelum
This series still is a "feels good" ride and if it still accomplishes that the rest is just us nitpicking for a little more fun.
Hear, hear. If anything it's just discussion on how the story is going so far and how everybody feels about it. Maiko-san hasn't done anything attrocious with it's story, the worst thing it has done is "it's not going the way I want", which may not be a valid point of argument. There are many manga that has gone worse than Maiko (tho i argue it has shown some warning signs) and I wouldn't want to reduce anyone's enjoyment here.

Dex-chan lover
@nutman451 I was talking about the Greek and Roman Stoics, because in the Russian language the word "stoic" was firmly entrenched precisely for such a philosophy and character traits. For example, like one of the Roman politicians who tore his intestines with his own hands after doctors wanted to sew them up after his attempt to stab himself. But, I understand perfectly well that English may have a different relation to the same words, so this is purely my problem. Ultimately I would call it "outwardly emotionless" or "emotionally restrained."

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan Unhappy? Now you got me, did i pass that impression? I am really happy with how things are going, to me the direction the story took hasn't dissatisfied me one bit, i love to see Suu-chan's adorkable side and Kiyo's "green lantern" worthy pokerface... that girl would control the green spectrum by herself.

Should i be surprised that in the Russian culture stoic has such a hardcore meaning? No, no i shouldn't.

Here in Brasil, stoic has the same meaning as the one in the English language, it is just a person that has good poise and control over their emotions, but i dare say it is a word rarely used and has some weight behind it so it is a pretty good compliment (depending on the circumstances). And here a funny trivia, the word stoic in Portuguese is... "estoico", only two letters different.

Dex-chan lover
@alacaelum Well, in Russian, Latin has always been a language either philosophical or medical-legal (Russian traditional culture is more Greek-centric), so we don't use it directly in pop culture. But as already mentioned, the fact that Russian vocabulary differs from English is not a problem with English-speaking folks :) Well, unhappy may not be the right word, but rather I got the impression that for some reason you considered such a reaction weird.

Users who are viewing this thread