Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House

Fed-Kun's army
@ataru ah, thank you for the insight! @roseofquartz oh, that's true, her communication skill is indeed high, and for her learning computer would be easy, seeing how determined she is (if she became a secretary or OL or other office job)

Just watched the first episode of the anime. It’s sooooo cute! Anime Kiyo is just as heartwarming as in the manga.

@loppxi I think the bigger problem is that Kiyo's feels more relegated to a prop rather then a side character now. Like, yeah, she's simple and the problems are rarely specifically about her, or how she focuses on her problems, but at least she was a person. She had a backstory and motivation (however simple it was), she had a love of cooking (probably to feel closer to her granny and maybe even her late mum) and making others happy.

But this HUGE focus on Sumire and, specifically, about this dumb love triangle that very suddenly just popped up after 100+ chapters of established characters and relationship dynamics makes it feel like Kiyo is just a prop. Kiyo almost feels like an almost faceless obstacle in Suu's path to having a relationship with Kenta (though I'll be perfectly honest, I have my doubts Kenta would return Suu's feelings anyway, even if Kiyo wasn't there). Even the cooking aspects and the comfort of food has taken a back seat in comparison to Suu-chan fawning over Kenta. It diminishes Suu-chan's character as well, because instead of overcoming all these other obstacles (maiko training, perfectionism, her guilt over Kiyo not being able to become a maiko too, her parents clearly putting her on a pedestal and expecting other things for her, her relationships with her sister maiko and geiko, etc.), she's instead fawning and blushing at every little mention of Kenta before realising that Kenta barely even notices her and getting vaguely depressed about it.

I don't see myself dropping this new manga, but my enjoyment of it has gone from a solid 9/10 to a 6/10 at best.

Group Leader
Code:
@roseofquartz yeah now that i think about it... i definitely understand your point of view in the changes that the mangaka has made with sumire being more of a main character and kiyo being pushed aside. and i get why you think sumire's character is now kinda being reduced to liking kenta too.

these are some flaws in the manga that i wish the mangaka would address or at least pick up on (to change it) and i feel like with sumire and kiyo it can definitely be added onto with new chapters (don't know if the mangaka even knows about these issues or are willing to change it). but with every chapter just being about the love triangle, it can get pretty annoying and i understand why you like this manga lesser now.

but when you say that kiyo is like a faceless obstacle for sumire to have a relationship with kenta, i don't really interpretate as so. whenever i read about sumire knowing kenta's feelings about kiyo, i don't think she's being depressed about it. i think she has just accepted it and doesn't really seem to be wanting a relationship with kenta, as far as i can tell. i don't think you're wrong about it either but we all have different interpretations of certain subtexts in the manga!!

well, i do hope after the little arc (where kiyo meets with kenta is over), maybe we can expect some new developments? or changes 🙏🙏
Code:
Code:
Code:
Code:

@roseofquartz everything you said i agree on except that the love triangle was somehow just dropped in without any foreshadowing, there were huge hints all along the manga the suumire liked kenta and that kenta liked kiyo, and they were pretty obvious. the thing is that since kenta is seeing them way more often now the author can actually show more of those feelings, but yeah all that is kinda pointless if kiyo is just treated like a prop and has no contribution to the plot other than being cute so.

The anime is out already and it is lovely. You can see it on chrunchyroll too if you are subscribed to it.

Also, it has some anime only extras so there is new stuff even if you started reading the manga recently.

Contributor
ANime is nice, but admittedly, the animation/art of it is a bit off. But, I can't complain, they are hitting everything else quite nicely.

Dex-chan lover
Ughhhhh I love this manga but at the same time I'm so tired of Kenta. His character is so flat. Just let Kiyo and Sumire live their life in peace without the senseless hetero trope where the boy does the bare minimum and the girl who is literally the whole package ends up liking him for little to no reason. Cannot understand why Sumire even cares. He's expressionless and plays baseball. Showed basic human kindness once or twice. Woop-dee-doo. Do not care. Meanwhile Kiyo and Suu are already living like a married couple, other characters have even admitted that they act like a couple in love, and the manga revolves around their relationship, but of course they're not going to be canon because that would be gay and we can't have that. BT So let's give the romance to the boring guy who doesn't do shit. Ugh.

Also, is Kiyo ever gonna be the main character again??

Like I said, I love this manga but I just want this Kenta love triangle to be over.
Your heterophobic is showing. This is why I hate yuri/yaoi fans with a passion. Don't like this? Drop it. The way you are obsessing with gay romance just show how unhealthy your mindset is.

Dex-chan lover
Your heterophobic is showing. This is why I hate yuri/yaoi fans with a passion. Don't like this? Drop it. The way you are obsessing with gay romance just show how unhealthy your mindset is.
The problem is not so much heterophobia, but rather that these people go too far with gay shipping in works about friendship and become obsessed with such manga or anime abandoning the theme of friendship in favor of romance. Either considering any friendship to be only a temporary step in a gay relationship, or simply devaluing it as a less significant and interesting form of relationship. This is simply disrespectful to the original theme of the work and its characters. Imagine their reaction if their favorite work was about an openly gay romance, but every second person compulsively read the characters as friends and complained that "why are they kissing and having sex? They're such good friends!"

P.S. The comparison to a couple in love is a common metaphor in Japanese media to show how close female friends are. The Japanese generally like homoerotic symbolism because they are not as obsessed with sexuality as people in the West.

This manga had been published to volume 25, Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House passed 7 years and 10 months.

I just found this masterpiece recently! I very glad to have a chance to read this manga from Koyama Aiko sensei.

Thank for everyone had translated, supported to help this project come this far.

Dex-chan lover
Another manga that doesnt have a romance tag, but has romance in it… how hard is it to just tag series correctly?

Dex-chan lover
Another manga that doesnt have a romance tag, but has romance in it… how hard is it to just tag series correctly?
The romance tag is usually used either for titles with an important romantic element, or for titles that are officially promoted as romance. Kiyo is neither one nor the other.

Users who are viewing this thread