Kowloon Generic Romance

It is not a shoujo manga, it is serialized in Weekly Young Jump (Kingdom, Golden Kamuy, Tokyo Ghoul...) so, is seinen manga.

Contributor
First time I've seen a manga take place in somewhere like Hong Kong much less Kowloon. Pretty nice setting.

Contributor
The poster by her door instantly took me back to my trip to China a year ago. Interesting setting for a Japanese manga.

Dex-chan lover
Same author of the dilf manga huh. Seem a lot better than the early work. the introduce and show how character interact with each other really done well here. a big improve in storytelling skill. In early work, girl just "I love you" too sudden yet their seem like know each other at the giving social hello level.

Nice setting.
I thought it's gonna be ecchi but glad it's not.
This author knows how his characters interact to each other. No pressure or exaggerating.

I thought i recognize that art and realize it is by the author of After the Rain

Wow! Kowloon City for the BG City!? Count me in! The vibe is so cool and nostalgic in this one.

I hope this gets even better later on.

Dex-chan lover
Damn I used to obsess over kowloon walled city when I was a kid to the point of writing a story set in it. it was one hell of a mess due to the lack of a research and proper writing skills lol

fhq

The scenery is really picturesque (obviously) and pretty. It's very clearly chinese influenced. There's a district in Hong Kong called Kowloon and this is pretty spot-on in how it is; busy, noisy, kinda dirty, it's quite perfect in presentation and the author clearly did his research.

The characters are kind-of whatever though, but that's alright because the art and ambience carries it.

Dex-chan lover
Strange but good. I love Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, so it's a pleasure to see more from this mangaka.

I used to live in Hong Kong (Kowloon, in fact, but at the North end, away from the denser parts), and the scenes in the manga do seem familiar. However, I wish the translators would have gone for the Chinese readings of the names, though, instead of the Japanese -- after all, I'm pretty sure the characters are supposed to be native Hong Kong people. Or am I mistaken on this?

"Kujirai" is 鯨井, which (I think... my Chinese is rudimentary) reads as Jing Jing in Chinese. Similarly, "Kudou" is 工藤, which I read as Gong Teng. I'm sure someone with better Chinese skills will set me right on these, if I'm wrong.

Double-page supporter
The setting is really cool. Glad I checked this comment section so I could figure out it was based on something real.

Users who are viewing this thread