Kuitsume Youhei no Gensou Kitan - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Stuck, before I ran.

Dex-chan lover
@bushwhacker2k Late reply, but one of the reasons why it is pretty common to find these kinds of characters designated with a thief class is because of D&D. The very first edition and Advanced D&D had what we know as "rogue" as "thief."

Dex-chan lover
@Boomburst True, and a lot of games still do use it as the term for that kind of character class. I believe Guild Wars 2 calls theirs thief, and that came out in 2012 or so? Relatively recent compared to AD&D. Though, if I had to put it in D&D terms I'm familiar with, the thief class there feels way more like it'd be an assassin or shadowdancer, if anything.

I'd say it's about as interchangeable as fighter and warrior tend to be for games. But yeah, I do kind of agree with bushwhacker2k, too, because the connotation of both warrior and fighter is generally good, but thief really isn't at all. It certainly feels awkward at first to bring it up that casually in these sorts of things when they do decide to use particular names for some class types. Sometimes they even kind of point that out in a story too, rather than just normalizing it for the setting, so for those cases I feel like they should've just went with something else. Rogue, scout. Some good alternatives, if you're going to point out how weird it is anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread