Kujibiki Tokushou Musou Harem-ken - Vol. 1 Ch. 4.1 - Meeting Helene-Hime Once Again! The Darkness of the Demon Sword is Drawing Near!

Thing with MC and armor is that his abilities are increased 777 times, plus I imagine that his restorative and healing abilities are also increased, heck he could probably regrow an arm with out magic if that is the case

Dex-chan lover
You know, wouldn't introduction of a banknote worth 1000 copper coins (1 silver coin) NOT solve the problem of shortage of small change? Copper coins have to remain in circulation unless they plan to introduce banknotes of smaller denomination. And besides, haven't they heard of debasing in this kingdom?

@Pommes
Not true, there were cases when melt value was higher than face value. If price of base material increases coin production cost increases as well and may outgrow it's face value.

@Doomer @UzunBoyluCuce
Problem is not counterfeiting but smelting coins.

Dex-chan lover
If I were a foreign country that used gold,silver, and copper I wouldn't trust another countries bank notes. Because while Metals will more or less retain value because of scarcity Bank notes are cheap and more or less infinite. A country can prints a bunch of notes saying their worth X gold one day then trade those notes for gold or material then a year later that note value could have much less buying power then when you obtained it. But the material that the bank notes bought will change in value of those bank notes automatically.

Fed-Kun's army
What BS, money is not 100% paper otherwise it would easily be destroyed just by using.

Fim

@HYBRID_BEING
Actually that was the first thing I thought too. The silver coin already exists, and is worth 1000 copper coins. It's easy to transport and store, yet doesn't help with the copper coin problem - so why would that paper money solve it? Small change has always been coins - you just need one that doesn't cost too much to produce. Using copper coins where the copper is worth more than the coin is just plain retarded.
The solution is obviously to mint much smaller coins, or to value the current coins much higher, or both of those. Plus some smaller cilver coins worth only 100 copper coins.
No need to go for stupid paper money when you don't know if people would even accept it.

It's better to have coin. Not paper. 😐

Paper won't last forever.
And.. yeah Inflation ...

MC is absurdly stupid but I guess author wants to make him cooler to other people in this fictional world. He’s not a very likeable MC and neither are the other characters in this manga.

Of all the stupid ways I've seen LN authors insert paper money into their fantasy world, this one ranks up there as amongst the dumbest. As another user has pointed out, one note would literally be equal to one silver coin so this is completely pointless and only serves to devalue the royal crest as a symbol of authority. The issue wasn't people using counterfeit money, it was people melting down the supply of coins so they could make a profit from the market value of copper. The easiest solution to this is just adjusting the value of the copper coins to match their market value in relation to silver coins, i.e. you only need 500 copper coins to make a silver coin, but the problem with this is that the market value of copper (and all metals) is going to fluctuate based on production, mining discovery, industry innovation and coins in circulation. An actually intelligent way of solving this problem would be using magic in some way to create a kind of stationary device/crest linked to the reported production of the material resource, as well as the current amount of coins in circulation. It would then constantly update each merchant/shop with the true values of each metal in relation to each other as currency.

Do we have to acknowledge the sheer scale of how many magical royal crests would need to be made for this plan to work? If it were so easy to make, then why isn't anyone else able to counterfeit the crest on their own? For how much power and deference someone gets for having one, it would seem to be a high priority for criminals or spies to attempt to replicate it.

I wish LN authors would just stop trying to pretend like they have any idea how economics works.

This picture just feels so appropriate right now

unknown.png

even if the mc's solutions aren't that good

@Crazyperson11

Not only that, imagine being retarded enough to think that switching from coinage to paper money would prevent hoarding of precious metals.

I can't even get a laugh from how dumb this story is anymore.

Group Leader
@RhaegarG
It's not that they were hoarding precious metals, it's that the raw form was worth more than the coinage it could make.

If, for instance, it took 1 ingot of copper to make 500 copper coins and yet it cost 750 copper coins to buy, there is an opportunity for criminals to create a profit by smelting copper coins into ingots. However this isn't a problem in what is called "commodity currency" where the value of the currency is tied to it's physical make-up. Ironically what the protag suggests in this chapter is to create a "fiat currency", where the value of the currency is only tied to what the government says it's worth. Which is inherently prone to the situations the protag was just trying to fix, namely inflation causing the value of the currency to rise slower in relation to the value of objects it can purchase.

This happens to be exactly the situation the United States has right now, where pennies cost $0.017 to make. Meaning theoretically you could spend $100 buying pennies, smelt them down, and sell them at scrap price for $170. This doesn't happen much due to the fact that pennies are actually mostly zinc with a copper coating and it costs more to separate the two metals than you would get back selling them and the fact that the US Government is VERY, VERY, strict about catching and prosecuting people scrapping coinage for "melt value".

Dex-chan lover
I think the right move here wasnt to use paper money, but have other copper coins that hold more value than they are worth. Like for example make a bigger coin that has the material of 3 or 4 normal coins but its valued at 5, and another one that has the weigh of 15 but its valued at 25 and so on.

Problem would be counterfeit money (people would smelt normal ones to make the bigger ones and multiply their value), but if they can put the royal crest on it and nobody else can replicate it then it becomes a non-issue I guess?

Also, reduce the gap between copper and silver coins, Jesus. You can achieve that by making coins that hold both copper and silver to have an in-between value (like on the 100, then 250, then 500). Having only coins valued at 1 and then 1000 is insane.

Users who are viewing this thread