Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? - Ch. 67.1

Group Leader
The flashforward makes you understand that the main character is also the main antagonist of Shun's story. It makes the story much more complex than just a funny spider that tries to survive.
Yes, but we had no reason to care about that, because Shun and everyone around him is an absolute bore. The only thing great about this series is the funny spider surviving. If we wanted a more complex actually interesting plot we'd go to Reincarnated as a Slime, Frieren, or Dungeon Meshi (soon!)

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Yes, but we had no reason to care about that, because Shun and everyone around him is an absolute bore. The only thing great about this series is the funny spider surviving. If we wanted a more complex actually interesting plot we'd go to Reincarnated as a Slime, Frieren, or Dungeon Meshi (soon!)

I watched Reincarnated as a Slime (and read a huge part of the manga when season 2 was occuring), So I'm a Spider so What? is better. There's an overarching plot between more than 3 or 4 sides moving their own pawns all the time, it just doesn't exist in Slime for the simple reason Rimuru/Limule is overpowered and the characters that could beat him gently waits he's strong enough to destroy them before doing their stuff. Compare that to the litteral final Boss randomly appearing on the Worldmap to destroy Kumoko, you know who's better.

And about Shun, I agree that his character is not that much interesting, but everything that happens around him is interesting to follow. The war, the Analeit fall, the Labyrinth's Nightmare impact, the Elf Village battle...

Dex-chan lover
Kumo chose the Arachae evolution so that she could speak to humans.

Number of normal humans spoken to as an Arachne: Maybe one? Certainly less than three.

This is the story
Of a Spider Lady
Who was stalking a yandere vampire girl
Scooped her up with her converted servant,
Kid'll likely grow drill curls.

This is the story
Of a Demon Ruler
Who had countless hordes of spiders of her own
An ancient creature
So full of hatred
And yet still all alone

Till the day the spider's brainchild ate her mother
And infected Demon Princess in the crunch
Now this group has somehow become a family
That's the way they all became the Kumo Bunch

Aggregator gang
The flashforward makes you understand that the main character is also the main antagonist of Shun's story. It makes the story much more complex than just a funny spider that tries to survive.
While I do agree, this could be done a lot, LOT better. As an example I can offer you is how Overlord did it with Stronoff and his friends. Just make then likeable and, if you want then to fall under a overbeaten stereotype, at least try to make then shine out in a unique way. Shun and his rival are painfully dull and generic. The human story would be much more bearable without those two.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
While I do agree, this could be done a lot, LOT better. As an example I can offer you is how Overlord did it with Stronoff and his friends. Just make then likeable and, if you want then to fall under a overbeaten stereotype, at least try to make then shine out in a unique way. Shun and his rival are painfully dull and generic. The human story would be much more bearable without those two.

Kinda spoilers for earlier LN volumes (no crazy stuff though).
Shun was written to be the classical overpowered Hero from the start, in complete opposition to Kumoko. (Shun has the strongest reincarnation : 100 000 Points to use and a broken special ability, Kumoko was the weakest : only 100 points and a kinda good ability (Skanda who's the best speed stat booster), but really bad when we know that another reincarnation has a similar ability, but much stronger).

Shun is born with a gold spoon in the mouth (royal family, spared from any political succession stuff since he's only the 4th on the line and live an overall easy life for 15 years making him staying the same as he was in Japan, unlike every other reincarnations and excecting all of his comrade to stay the same when they just couldn't (even Katia who has a similar situation was forced to change because of her past life as a boy). Kumoko in comparison had, by far, the hardest life of all.

One of the conflict later (that is partly in earlier volumes) is : how can Shun criticize Kumoko (not only her), when he doesn't have the slightest idea of what she came through ?

Not every LN readers agree with me on that point, but the conflict between this two is interesting and the conclusion is the best I could wait from the story (not in the WN though, but to me, both Shun and White are bad characters lol).

Double-page supporter

I didn't read/watch Overlord, but from what I got from readers of both series, the War arc is better in So I'm a Spider so What?

Dex-chan lover
Poor Christian Bale. I bet Asahiro's overjoyed he doesn't have to draw kumo with 2 heads anymore.
Ucojhnb.jpg

Aggregator gang
Kinda spoilers for earlier LN volumes (no crazy stuff though).
Shun was written to be the classical overpowered Hero from the start, in complete opposition to Kumoko. (Shun has the strongest reincarnation : 100 000 Points to use and a broken special ability, Kumoko was the weakest : only 100 points and a kinda good ability (Skanda who's the best speed stat booster), but really bad when we know that another reincarnation has a similar ability, but much stronger).

Shun is born with a gold spoon in the mouth (royal family, spared from any political succession stuff since he's only the 4th on the line and live an overall easy life for 15 years making him staying the same as he was in Japan, unlike every other reincarnations and excecting all of his comrade to stay the same when they just couldn't (even Katia who has a similar situation was forced to change because of her past life as a boy). Kumoko in comparison had, by far, the hardest life of all.

One of the conflict later (that is partly in earlier volumes) is : how can Shun criticize Kumoko (not only her), when he doesn't have the slightest idea of what she came through ?

Not every LN readers agree with me on that point, but the conflict between this two is interesting and the conclusion is the best I could wait from the story (not in the WN though, but to me, both Shun and White are bad characters lol).
I'm an anime-only besides reading the manga, but yeah, I can totally agree that the contrast between then is great for storytelling. My only gripe is that Shun is the protagonist of the human parts with that awfully generic personality. Don't get me wrong, I like what you said in theory, but Shin's execution, from a personality point of view, is just too cliche for a main character. He needed a more believable personality at least. Nothing wrong with his life's setup btw, just a problem with how god damn boring his personality is for someone we pass so much time watching.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
I didn't read/watch Overlord, but from what I got from readers of both series, the War arc is better in So I'm a Spider so What?
I'm an anime-only both in Overlord and Spider, so I can't really answer your question. What I can say is that Overlord's 4th season was really fucking great (that's when the first war arc happens). I'm only talking about Shun's and his rival's personality on what I know from the anime btw, not the rest that involves then. The human parts would be a lot more bearable if those two had even a single drop of interesting personality.

Double-page supporter
I'm an anime-only besides reading the manga, but yeah, I can totally agree that the contrast between then is great for storytelling. My only gripe is that Shun is the protagonist of the human parts with that awfully generic personality. Don't get me wrong, I like what you said in theory, but Shin's execution, from a personality point of view, is just too cliche for a main character. He needed a more believable personality at least. Nothing wrong with his life's setup btw, just a problem with how god damn boring his personality is for someone we pass so much time watching.

Nah I have read the Light Novel, Shun's character is far from generic. The setup looks like every OP Isekai characters, but his personality is not. Even after 15 years in that world (as much as in his previous life) he's still the boy who was born in Japan and never starts to live with the rules of the new world. He also expects every Reincarnators to think the same. The fault comes from his early life where he was considered as a genius, when he's not (the real genius is Sue, his sister with a huge brothercon complex, who wanted to become as strong as her brother while not being a Reincarnator) and also the fact he lived with a gold spoon in the mouth.

The fact that Shun being bland and unaware of what is happening in the world and around him, makes him an interesting way to discover the world besides him. None of the other characters can do that (Katia was born in a influent family - politically speaking, Oka knows way too much, Fei was created for the Light Novel, Hugo is too much involved in the plot and the church girl is not neutral). I can agree that Shun in the anime can be insufferable to follow, but the Light Novel fleshes him out in many ways.

About Hugo, it's not a LN thing, but in the WN it's revealed that he thought he was in a dream world and it was not the reality.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter :glee: :hearts: :bocchiwave: :headpat: :salute:
Ujzxnrz.gif

I still remember when she was trying to kill Kumo and now they are besties :smugnako:

Dex-chan lover
I don't know how much of the ending you know, but it wasn't bad. It's not a masterpiece, but it's very competent and faithful to the established rules.
I dare say that the author was honest with us readers by not prolonging a story whose charm ended when all the mysteries were revealed.
it's a letdown to a great story though. The story was good, definitely 8/10, but that ending was 4-5/10 for me.

Dex-chan lover
She sure didn't stay in her Drider form that long did she... Was it this quick in the LN? Where are we in terms of the overall story anyway? I don't know the status or if it's still going...
yeah- arachne is really short term, they actually made it last longer in the LN than in the WN
The epilogue is not great, but the rest of the last volume is good.
the ending was awful. waiting years for the WN to end, and we get THAT?
I genuinely just haven't been reading things since
the LN ended? was it actually not hamfisted for once?

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
yeah- arachne is really short term, they actually made it last longer in the LN than in the WN

the ending was awful. waiting years for the WN to end, and we get THAT?
I genuinely just haven't been reading things since
the LN ended? was it actually not hamfisted for once?

The LN has a short epilogue for every characters (+3 additional chapters, exclusive to the japanese release, that add new informations about characters) that are not in the WN. The Final Battle is also a bit different (the WN version is mentionned in White's epilogue though).

Man, what a shame. Feels like every time with this "I reincarnated as [non-human]?!" type of isekai, they eventually get a human form and then the title and main gimmick of the story becomes an afterthought. Happened with slime, happened with this, I don't really like it. At least with this one, the spider part of things was way more interesting and it took a long time for her to even become an arachne, where she even still had her spider head coming out of where her crotch would be. There's another manga, Reincarnated as a Dragon Egg, where I feel like the seeds for the dragon mc to get a human form have already been planted, and every time it just kinda sucks. What's the point of always giving the monster mc a human form? I was interested before, but whenever they get a human form, it usually just becomes boring to me. They just become an evil/morally grey human, dressed in clothing that's themed around their former monster body. Maybe it's less common than I think, but I feel like every time, that happens. That meme vending machine isekai, I bet it happened. I don't know, but it feels like every time there's an isekai with a gimmick around the reincarnation, the gimmick gets dropped and the mc just becomes a regular, OP human.

Users who are viewing this thread