Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Dex-chan lover
I wish she'd stop hitting herself with thread to change her trajectory mid-flight, because it's just wrong physics.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar I really don't think the laws of physic should ever be a concern, in a world where magic exist in the first place.

@jm08910 that's not a problem because she never really becomes OP, she amy seem to grow too fast sometimes, but that is because she started the series underpowered. She was just way too weak. Anyway, she'll never be the strongest being around. Whenever he reaches a new high, she soon learns that other being have also reached this level, and that while she may have become strong, she still needs to compete with others.

@Nolonar You can think of thrust attribute as launching a rocket. There's more kinetic energy because it accelerated after being launched. As for why she doesn't just use it as a rocket, ether skills need a target to work or out of stupidity.

Contributor
This fight is starting to remind me of an old image of a crane eating a frog, but the frog has the crane by the throat despite being shoved halfway into the mouth, captioned with "Never give up".

Dex-chan lover
@TetraSky
No, that's just poor story-telling.
Magic can be used to overcome physics, but not until it's specifically stated to do so. That's the reason why even in a setting with magic, characters can't fly until they've learned the necessary magic.

And besides, she's got plenty of projectile attacks by now. Just shoot out one of those and use the recoil to change trajectory, just like a non-magic rocket would do. There's no need for weird voodoo I-hit-myself-to-propel magic.

I mean, even Son Goku was smart enough to fire a Kamehameha towards the ground to keep himself from falling down (for a short time), and he's supposed to be an idiot.

@Nolonar Shooting something actual makes less sense. Tsiolkovsky rocket equation
shows that in order to propel a body a mass has to leave it with a certain amount of velocity. That means if you wanted to move 1 m/s and you threw something 1 m/s you would need to lose about 2/3 of your mass. Goku certainly didn't do that.

We also don't see poison magic creating much recoil, so it's a non-starter.

Rather, here we live in a world where space magic is a thing. Thread manipulation suggests levitation, so standard rocketry rules do not apply. The way she is doing it actually makes more sense rather than the anime way that just feels right.

Dex-chan lover
The parallel wills and intrusive thought of "despicable" seemed like very subtle indications that her species/being in this body/world is doing something to her thought process or her will and emotions. Sorta like Overlord except not mentioned and then ignored except for comic relief.

Meanwhile Hell Magic!

Cliffhanger after a cliffhanger. Give us some more leveling up and worldbuilding already.

Contributor
@Stap
Just wait for the godhood arc. It's just her galavanting around the world wreaking chaos on all around her.

Group Leader
@Kisato
I want the "finds a potion, then morphs into a human" arc. I need some humanism in this manga.

This was boarder lining a while now for me... But after seeing that clone spell, i'm done with this. Hope this gets better for you guys i'm out.

@JustNatsuki
She does get a half-human form after becoming an Arachne. Much later on, she gets an almost full-human form.

Group Leader
@relic626
There was also Rage and Poison Spell if you didn't catch it yet. There might be a Haste, Freeze, Earthquake, and Heal spell next. I don't know.

Dex-chan lover
@James20
You forget that she can create as much mass as she wants (her thread isn't weightless), and she can shoot them at a very high velocity (otherwise she'd be dead by the time her thread hits, not to mention her thread moves fast enough to actually hurt her despite being soft).
Also, I fail to see how levitation implies that standard rocketry rules no longer apply. I mean, come on! Our rockets didn't magically stop working as soon as we invented Maglev (magnetic levitation) trains, or did I miss something since the 80s?

But if we're going to go as far as to say what makes "more sense":
Why not just ride on the damn thread?

She can create thread with enough energy to displace her body, so why not ride on it like riding a broom or magic carpet?
Why not shoot it to where she wants to be headed, and keep the thread connected to her butt, so the recoil would drag her towards where the thread is headed?
Why sacrifice HP by using a method that is...
1. completely unintuitive and
2. offers no apparent benefit compared to other, significantly more intuitive methods?

I mean, seriously, what she's doing is like kicking herself in the butt to move forward, instead of just walking. It's incredibly weird to look at, magic or not.

Contributor
@yarnnnn - Good, as a non novel reader is interesting and nice an appaerance change. Can't wait to read more manga arcs and hopefully we will get an anime too (there is enought material fo that).

Users who are viewing this thread