Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 68 - The Rumored Eunuch and Ice Cream

Sometime reading this story make you wonder in which period they were. With cacao, ice cream, perfect mirror…
Late Ming dynasty. Spanish and Portuguese merchants brought that stuff over from the Americas. Portuguese sweets and cakes were especially popular in Japan and India, I‘d imagine China too. Ice cream was eaten in renaissance Italy. Though since it is dairy I doubt the Chinese would like it first. Though iirc Consort Rouran is from a nomad clan.
Bronze mirrors were invented in China and they can be very clear.

Sometime reading this story make you wonder in which period they were. With cacao, ice cream, perfect mirror…
Probably the XVII century, that's when cacao arrived in China. Ice cream was a thing in ancient china. But some liberties are taken here and there, it's just a work of fiction after all

Dex-chan lover
Alright, guess I’ll add MaoMao into my list of “Characters that would become Spiderman even if they don’t get bitten by a radioactive spider”

Dex-chan lover
what do you mean seconds?
Rou Ran is Shu Sui. As consort she's wearing distracting gaudy outfits and lots of makeup that disguise fer facial features. So when she poses as Shu Sui nobody recognize her as high-ranking consort.

So by seconds it means that she went to the kitchen for more ice cream as Shu Sui after eating portion Mao Mao made.

Dex-chan lover
well , i just made up this pun in japanese language :

this manga 's name is 薬屋のひとりごと = Kusuriya no Hitorigoto = drug house 's monologue .

monologue also has other readings : 独白 dokuhaku , or 独話 dokuwa .

good medicine , good drug = 薬 kusuri / yaku .

poisonous drug = 毒薬 dokuyaku .

so we have the name : poisonous drug house 's monologue = dokuyakuya no dokuwa .

and

Thank you for the translation!
It's a fantasy kingdom that acts like imperial china in the 3 kingdoms period politically, but has a harem system from a later era. Fantasy not-China, basically. It's a cool setting tho :D

For anyone wanting to read the LN this chapter is at about volume 4 chapter 5 of it doubt i can send links so on archive org they have a full translation up to volume 10 called The Apothecary Diaries Manga & LN's don't know how you would search for it but here you go anyways have a wonderful day

Dex-chan lover
btw , in this light novel / manga , this is a fictional country , in a fictional time period , in a fictional earth .

and the country china and the country england are just right next to each other :
  • many chinese girls has some english genes in their bloods , and they have blue eyes and white skins and blonde hairs . " I SUMMON BLUE EYES WHITE DRAGON " .
  • in chapter 48 , there are 2 look-alike female envoys from england , and they only needed to walk a few kilometers to enter china .

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Rou Ran is Shu Sui. As consort she's wearing distracting gaudy outfits and lots of makeup that disguise fer facial features. So when she poses as Shu Sui nobody recognize her as high-ranking consort.

So by seconds it means that she went to the kitchen for more ice cream as Shu Sui after eating portion Mao Mao made.
i understood that already (it's literally all over every chapter in this series as of late) but that's not my point she's here seemigly before she was served it as the high consort meaning she's not here for seconds she's here before she got served meaning her serving would be the seconds

Dex-chan lover
This manga's setting is a fictional country Rii (茘, Li) in a fictional world (crumbs are more apparent in the novel) that is modeled around the Imperial China in general.

And that's a good thing. Author is not bound by limitations of historic figures and actual dynasties and nobody in Asia is upset abouit the inaccuracies and anachronisms.

Great chapter, as always.

Users who are viewing this thread