Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 37 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 1)

Speechless. Actually, I'm not, but there's so much going on in my head that I don't know what to say exactly. I reckon I'll read the ln or wn when it's completed. This is good. Really, really good.

Fed-Kun's army
Whoa... The comment section blown up. The manga adaptation of this arc crush my kokoro. Damn...

Everything is related in some way to the baby swap incident!!! Hell, I wasn't expecting that!

Looking back now I now realize why her was missing it’s because it decreased the chance of her being sexually attacked and being chosen and I guess it would also be a sort of fuck you to the strategist I think but that’s a stretch yeah I don’t know why didn’t think of this earlier.

Dex-chan lover
@Lucrecia
NOW we regard slavery as a terrible thing, as it should be. But it wasn’t like that at the time. What is ethically fair to us is not always fair. To give you a pretty stupid but stylish example... we are now in the age when we use technology without any problems, and if a PC or a cell phone breaks, we throw it away to buy another.
It’s a very normal thing, who would be outraged about a cell phone thrown away?

Here. Let us say that in two centuries the technology will be so developed that it will be possible to create AIs so refined that they will have a definable human consciousness and with rights equal to ours.

So, we’ll be horrible monsters in the eyes of those people of the future, when they think about how we exploited and disposed of our machines without a penny of pity considering them rubbish.
This analogy doesn't make any sense, because the entire point in condemning people for exploiting other people is because they are people. It would make sense for future AI to condemn people-in-our-future for exploiting other conscious AI immediately after its creation, but not for condemning usage of pre-consciousness smartphones (at leat not for that reason). And also, how is that analogy even relevant? Did you think that ancient slaves weren't people? That they didn't have their own consciousness, feelings and thoughts? That's fucked up.

Dex-chan lover
To put it simple, her birth father is extremely single-minded

He doesn't even start to think about common sense and the way world works until it hits him

Actually their whole family/clan is like that. They tend to be single-minded genius in some field. Maomao isn't as extreme as her father, but her medicine focus fits too.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, so he fucked her, made her worthless, and left for da war. Lol. The war was a huge cause of famine and her worthless hole could only be used by commoners, she contracted syphilis and sent him a curse/ pinky finger for betraying her. By the time he came back she was a vegetable from syphilis.

Okay it all makes sense now. Also uncle is mvp.

Anyway I pre-ordered the paperback manga translated by square Enix a long time ago. It got here today. Nice.

I still don't get the finger thing, was her cutting off her finger and sending it to Rakan supposed to be a symbol of her love towards him or was it supposed to be a curse/form of hatred for leaving her after basically making her worthless?

This piece of shit - he just left a woman in such a vulnerable position like that??? Did he not have the guts to bring her home at least??? My fucking god no wonder his daughter hates him

Thanks for the annotations in the end of the chapter, truly important to grasp what's going on.

Lots of big logical leaps in the comments. Dunno if they're correct, not gonna judge other people's theories. My take is this; he failed to understand her circumstances and her feelings for him, and was forced to leave for 3 years. Only realizing her love for him with the cut-off pinky after coming back, he understood after the fact and realized that she had lost her value, was forced to prostitute herself, and eventually was bought or died. His uncle, by some means, took in the daughter the courtesan had (and for which she lost her value), and he recognized the relation immediately. He has spent all this time trying to connect with his daughter out of either guilt or familial love, but his social ineptitude has only served to alienate him from her.

Users who are viewing this thread