Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 37 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 1)

Dex-chan lover
Alright, I'm going to hell for this

CNa8n9Q.png

Fed-Kun's army
facial blindness like that sucks so much. i dont have it to that extant, but its still caused me no end of complaint. and also the fun conversation of "what do you mean people will recognize each other even if they havent seen each other in years"
or months, or days, or minutes. not recognizing my partners face hurts a lot.

@Nic
the visible part of the nail is only the layer of keratin and dead cells, the real matrix is located just below the joint. so if you lose only the tip and the visible fingernail of the finger, the nail can still continue to grow and reform (and as a child the bones have not yet formed completely, so there is a possibility that even those can reform over time, although not as healthy)

@Randomndude01
Rather than not allowing his protected girls to have sex, I seem to have understood that Granny leaves them the choice of whether or not to do it (one of the three goddesses of the club, MaoMao's milk mum does too much of sex) but it is precisely they who decide if and to whom to indulge. Evidently MaoMao's birth mother was known to be a courtesan only for entertainment, famous for her playing skills. Which, in a civilization where women is so much if they knew how to embroider and recite the four feminine virtues of Confucianism was really a specialty that attracted the interest of a lot of customers, even for its aura of "untouchability". Once she lost this aura of purity, however, she became on a par, if not worse than the other courtesans who prostitute themselves

@Broken25
Slavery is a terrible thing, yes. But to this concept of equality among all human beings we came to say so two centuries ago, and in some parts still in the 20th century it was quietly practised.

Judging the behaviour of a world in which slavery was allowed, so far from our ethics, is like wanting to study a submarine using only knowledge of marine biology; not only useless, but even deleterious.
To tell you the truth, Grandma could have just thrown MaoMao’s mother out as a “damaged merchandise” once she discovered the disease, if she was really as attached to money as it is painted in history. Instead after more than sixteen years – the age of MaoMao – still takes care of her, even though she has become a deadweight and basically only a loss of money.
The fact that Granny is so attached to money is because she still has to take care not only of the courtiers, but also of all the servants who revolve around them, the protectors, to take care of their clothes, their accessories and cosmetics, food; all the stuff that once as today costs, and a lot.

@Rgal
NOW we regard slavery as a terrible thing, as it should be. But it wasn’t like that at the time. What is ethically fair to us is not always fair. To give you a pretty stupid but stylish example... we are now in the age when we use technology without any problems, and if a PC or a cell phone breaks, we throw it away to buy another.
It’s a very normal thing, who would be outraged about a cell phone thrown away?

Here. Let us say that in two centuries the technology will be so developed that it will be possible to create AIs so refined that they will have a definable human consciousness and with rights equal to ours.

So, we’ll be horrible monsters in the eyes of those people of the future, when they think about how we exploited and disposed of our machines without a penny of pity considering them rubbish.

this comment thread is like a wall of text.

anyway. anyone can help me understand why the mother of maomao suicide? and little finger? thanks.

and i though was the other girls were jealous of her and burned the house down?

@sincross7723
Maomao's mother did not commit suicide, she contracted syphilis - and technically she is still alive, though reduced to a vegetable - having been forced, because of the loss of value as a courtesan and the period of famine, to sell herself as a prostitute.

The "little finger curse" was a common thing among the prostitutes and courtesans of the time, who cut it off to send it to their lovers who had betrayed and/or abandoned them. A bit Gore's way to send the message "f**k you, damn bastard"

The brothel where MaoMao's mother was, did not burn because of the envy of anyone, but rather went to ruin because of famine and lack of funds, brought by the war (the one that kept Rakan away from his wannabe wife and daughter for over three years).

Fed-Kun's army
I pitied him a bit, this chapter brought a whole new depth in his character

Double-page supporter
@Broken25 Not a myth. Truly kind were rare, but caring as much as an work horse was pretty much the norms. If you buy an horse for work, even if like him, you don't set him free, it costed you money. (No seriously, just change the word slave by horse to see what will be done and what won't be done).

You could also apply the same logic you present to animals. Any society with ownership of animals is wrong, if the animals like being owned it's only because he was brainwashed, ...

You could also apply that to eating animals. It is proven that you can live without killing animals, so killing them is unnecessary, hence any society that allows their killings for food is wrong ...

Don't get me wrong, slavery is not okay, hence why it was abolished by laws in most or all countries as time went on. What I want to point out is that your argument that somebody or a society is evil because it applied slavery/a custom no longer accepted; the argument is weak and narrow-minded. You need to nuance

Double-page supporter
@Lucrecia a little add on to that, The Brothel is still the same one, just when the current granny took over the managing of it she was able to turn it around along with the help of the Flowers.

Dex-chan lover
I feel so bad for both of her parents at this point. I wonder if there's any way for her mum to recover..? Spoilers for future events in the ln and differences in the wn
I only ever read the wn, which has her mother dead. I believe folks said back when I was reading the wn that in the ln he did actually redeem her mum and marry her but I never heard anything else about what happened. Presumably the manga is following the ln more than the wn at this point tho both are still quite similar.

Dex-chan lover
I want some warm chapter after reading Sousou no Frieren...
But nooo...

Me right now...
sad-blackish.gif

Users who are viewing this thread