Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 39 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 3)

@Official229 I think it’s a typo on the mangaka’s part. Going back to chapter 37 it says that he doesn’t recognize Mao’s father’s (or his own father’s) face. Also says Mao’s mother is the first face he actually saw. He can only recognize two faces, both female.

lollll the man is feeling sympathy for the maomao's dad as a father himself

@Official229 Well... It's a very minor one, so I wouldn't really worry about it, but if you want a typo, there's one on page 9, third panel, left rectangular bubble. "when it comes to courtesan" - should be 'a courtesan' or 'courtesans' depending on your intent 😋

Thank you for the excellent work as always.

Dex-chan lover
The reverse version of the manga will be made Mao Mao without balls? Every happens in a Eunuchs area

Fed-Kun's army
Hum... It's interesting Rakan is face blind (Prosopagnosia). I too, actually am face blind. I absolutely can not tell anything from a person's face.

However, I wouldn't characterize his situation like how Maomao does. He would still be able to identify people (like I can) through other means. Usually, I can tell people apart from their builds, posture, expressions, voice, etc. It's not that hard, and at the extreme, if you say a few words I can figure out who you are pretty easy. Rather, I find it more useful because I can identify many things about a person's posture than I think a person can from their face. In my case at least, a person's face has no meaning to me. Do you have big eyes, or a small nose matters almost nothing to me. That also doesn't mean I can't make out facial expressions, just that I have no point of reference to what face pieces make a person unique.

On a funny story, there are 2 stories that happen because of my face blindness, which I thought was fairly funny. The first is that I had a friend who I known for a long time and did not realize he had cancer as a kid that paralyzed half his face completely (like he can't even close his eyes on that side). To which I never noticed until I went for surgery and he went with me and the nurse pointed it out. He always hated taking pictures of which I literally had no idea why until that point. The other story is I have a close relative that did pageants and stuff at an International level to which I assisted with quite often, but I could not at all describe you how her face looks.

So it's fairly interesting, he has face blindness, but I don't really think it's particularly accurate.

Dex-chan lover
High officials in imperial China had a solid layoff protection? In absolute monarchy? How nice.

Dex-chan lover
"We've picked up the alternative version"
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Supporter
@arnoldstrife I wouldn't be surprised if there are variants on face blindness that work the way Rakan's supposedly does. I know my sister, who is also face blind, can pick up on things like hair colour and style - she reckons it can be very confusing when someone changes up their hair without telling her. Otherwise she uses contextual clues, clothing, voice and so forth. She works in IT contract management, which means when she goes to conferences and the like she's surrounded by middle aged white men all dressed in suits - it's apparently utterly exhausting.

I think it's safe to say that the Ra clan is absolutely chock full of neurodivergent individuals - Mao Mao and Rakan for sure, and (minor spoiler)
Rakan's brother and his adopted son/nephew Rahan are definitely out there too
. Each in their own unique way, of course - all perfectly calibrated to give everyone around them as much hassle as possible.

Dex-chan lover
I don't really fancy the alternative version's designs but it's welcome

"It's impossible to get a courtesan pregnant without her consent"

"We have contraceptives and abortion medicines"

"We"

Now I'm wondering if this is a deliberate wording by the author; does she really see herself as a prostitute? PS. As in, from that strata of society

Dex-chan lover
I caught up.... ah shit, I caught up with the update.

Welp, thanks for the translation!!

@Regilius Considering she's been living with them for so long, I think it's easy to see why she think that

Aggregator gang
@Gredunza Ah, I could've sworn I put that as courtesans😩
Fixed now, thanks.

@DrWhoCares It's father, but I can understand why you'd think it was a mistake, see below.

@velvetR seems like there was a slight mistake that caused the confusion:
"I'm not sure why, but he can actually recognize my, and my father's face." -> "I'm not sure why, but for some reason, he can recognize me and my father."

He is able to recognize his father as a rook, so it's not entirely false to say he's able to recognize his face (since from what we can tell, him seeing people as rooks is rare).
Changed it to the sentence above, so it's hopefully not as confusing now.

@Grimmycoffee Yeah. I just hope that this gets used in the future. Ye olde shtick of "but I'm just a lowly (pretend) prostitute, I cant possibly become your wife!" would be cute.

The thing that the bishop imparted wasn't meant for Maomao only but also for the Crown Prince pertaining to His Majesty, The Emperor. "No father in the world would wish to be hated by their own children." Boom~☆

Users who are viewing this thread