Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 37 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 1)

@Binary10011

Yes. She got a sexual disease (shes the one Maomao takes care of in a earlier chapter). No. She sent the pinky as a curse, since she had to take customers at night, and he couldnt marry her since she became mentally addled. Because his uncle took care of her, and the courtesans all hated him.

Fed-Kun's army
@Randomndude01 "All of those girls can leave whenever they want"

That's a good joke.

The way those places work, they buy the girls from their parents at a pittance, then riddle them with debt by charging them with everything - food and lodging and clothes.

This is a good moment to remind that this manga started with Mao Mao getting kidnapped and sold.

This isn't a nice country, no matter how the narrative framing makes it look.

Fed-Kun's army
@Scrwd

Protecting the girls? More like protecting the investment.

The moment Mao Mao mother stopped being valuable, she become second class merchandise and got treated as such.

"As for whether it was "evil" or not, we can never be the judge of that. The measure for evil changes over time and place, so what's evil then might be normal now and vice versa."

That kind of moral relativism always makes me screech. It excuses the evil past people made, and the pain of the victims.

Slavery is evil no matter if it's done today, in ancient Athens or in Qing china.

It's just injustificable.

Fed-Kun's army
Of course, Granny isn't the only people at fault here - It would be easy to blame her first and foremost, given that she is the most direct beneficiary of the exploitation, but obviously all of the society is at fault, since they allow it.

@Binary10011

I suggest reading through this again. He couldn't come back since his family kept/forced him out on the field suddenly. This is during the ages where you can't defy the head of your family. He lost his sense of time, and didn't realize what the courtesan had planned until he returned and realized it was too late. Out of anger he usurped his father's position and out of desperation visited hanamachi often just to beg to see the child. That's some tragic love right there.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Broken25 Even if she evilly exploits women (and for the record, she thinks its an honest and honorable job). This has nothing to do with the particular incident.

Its like blaming a petty thief for a murder he did not commit.

Also the rest explained things better than me.|

Also its protecting the girls, not investment. She has no need to let "second class deadweight" continue to stay with them. She can just kick them all out and let them starve. She also charges an even more exorbitant amount to buyers not of the girl's interest. (Remember when Mao Mao checked out Rihaku's body? If it was to Pairin's liking, she would be cheaper)

@cryum For Granny, it actually cements my point further since Feng Sheng is alive and she did not let the two meet. There is no "redemption value", nor was there any shafting involved. She still works at the brothel. Her price is obviously dirt cheap now. Yet she has NO customers. Her value as a whole is ZERO. Why is she still living there then? Why can she even live there? By normal standards, the granny would have just kicked her out because they need to feed her and she isn't making any more money. She is already "dead". She didn't let the two meet because as far as she is concerned, the man abandoned her and ruined her life.

For Rakan, its not about money. The girl is still eating and living "well enough". She isn't starving, she gets medical assistance, and even a place to live in. It was never about the money. Its about the promise of seeing her again. She needed him there and he wasn't there. It was as simple as that. The money can fool her into thinking "he is still there" but at the same time it can't because it is "sent ahead of time". He might even be dead on the expedition. Also, what connections can he make with his illness?

As for the Uncle. "Out of loyalty?" "Selflessness?" Are you seriously saying that? Do you know the punishment for
the death of the King's child
? Death. Death for the ENTIRE FAMILY up to SEVERAL GENERATIONS. This punishment would apply to not just the culprit but the doctor who "failed to do his job". From himself to his non-existent grandchildren and probably dead grandparents. All of them would be executed if they were alive. Besides that, his status is an eunuch, one of the lowest within those walls. Just like how the soldier can smack Mao Mao across the face with no repercussions, the real "culprits" simply need to point at him and his head will fly. The "culprits" don't even need to do anything else because they are 'trusted'.

There was no conspiracy. He simply noticed something wrong and decided to bail before things get worse, and they did.

didn't like the Monocle dad at first, but now... the poor bastard 😭🤧 Maomao and her family have been through enough! they all deserve happiness! 🤧🤧

Dex-chan lover
@Nep

I don't think you need to bother replying to Broken25. He cannot think beyond his own experience and choose to judge everything based on his own standards and ignorance. It's hard to change the mind of a person who refuses to understand others.

Double-page supporter
@Broken25
You can honestly screech all you want, it doesnt change the fact that morals change as time and culture differs.
In fact, a great example would be going out. Less than a year ago it was the norm, and now its considered evil to party in a group.
Or better yet, some religions forbid eating cows, yet am i evil for doing so?

You cannot be evil when your actions during your time and place were not considered evil.

And you are mistaken. The customers and courtesans dictated the price, not Granny. Her mother lost her value because she got pregnant, which means customers stopped paying attention, she lost her value and now has to sleep with men to make ends meet, got sick, and then stopped working. Granny had nearly no hands in this, except from still housing her in a secluded part of the place, and even go as far as hiding her from the man she perceived to have harmed maomao's mother.

She maybe a sly business woman, but not a villain.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@sdarkpaladin Eh, I usually give everyone at least one chance. Its my first reply to him after all :p.

@Scrwd
Less than a year ago it was the norm, and now its considered evil to party in a group.

I'd like to nominate this "Quote of the Year."

Dex-chan lover
@Scrwd
You cannot be evil when your actions during your time and place were not considered evil
"Nazis weren't bad, because they weren't considered bad amongst nazis" —you, right now.

Fed-Kun's army
@Scrwd

"You cannot be evil when your actions during your time and place were not considered evil."

Lol what

By that logic caribbean plantation owners weren't evil, no matter how many slaves they worked to death.

Exploitation is exploitation no matter the era.

Like i don't think it should be controversial to consider someone that buys little girls to train them as prostitutes is evil.

(Remember the servants of the brothel - the little kids that have appeared a few times?)

Users who are viewing this thread