Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dumb and propably didn't compltely understand this new p2p host thing but, say that one of this Hosts goes down for X reason, does this mean that the chapters they were hosting will be down until they comeback?

I'm retarded, pls be patient

@Noir Nope if none of the MD@H clients have the chapter it will be served by MangaDex servers. Mind you from the information we have right now its just for the older, chapters where they are accessed less often, the newer chapters are still served from MangaDex servers and network.

@Noir
Idk about their implementation but with p2p normally, wouldn't you normally have more than one seed (at least if people friggin seed afTEr DOWNlOadING)
Id assume there would be more than one host and some system would shuffle things around to keep a minimum availability.
Then again, that is all speculation

MD@Home
Damn, where I live I only get 5MB up/down, so i cannot help but am willing to donate via BTC :c

wew. this is actually a good idea. And similar to H@H.

Coincidentally I was in the middle of setting up a RPi to run H@H 24/7. Might as well serve this too. But I just about don't reach the criteria.

Just a question: Why such high requirements compared to H@H? Is it because it's not a highly populated network yet? I have fiber and even I don't reach 80/80 rip. I hit about 75/75.

Would join but even though i have very high download speeds my upload speeds are abysmal rip

Some quick questions (Some from an older post, some new)
- Can this be run through a VPN (my VPN allows p2p)
- Do users directly access what I host or does the server retrieve it from me
- Is the URL obfuscated / hard to crawl (so I don't get the four letters : ) )
- Assuming this is like 'normal' P2P, I don't need to port forward right?

Group Leader
That "Turn on" setting on the MD@H settings page, is that turning it on to enable clients, or turning it on to *use* it?

If it's the latter, I doubt it'll provide much of a reduction when most people won't know they need to enable it.

Fed-Kun's army
80Mbps up?? Some Canadian providers advertise that on fiber, but I'm not sure they deliver. I'm not going to find out either, that's like $120/month just for internet.

@hollyguild
What is happening up there... I'm getting a gig (symmetric) for 49 / 59 (promo or no promo)...

Wait (EDIT)
you said MB right not Mb since MB * 8 = Mb, MB is used for storage and Mb for data transfer.
80MB up for 120 is actually Godley.

Is there any requirements for specific operating systems? I.E. will Ubuntu work?

@takosama Port forwarded is a must if it based on H @ H.

I have a question:
I saw the minimum of 80mbps, but I have weird internet connection with 50 down and 100 up (probably more, but I have no GBE gear right now so I can't measure anything more than 100mbps).
The upstream is probably limited to 50mbps per connection I guess because on single connection choice on Speedtest I have 50mbps expected from a symmetrical internet package.

Speedtest results:
Hong Kong is my nearest node to the world besides Singapore (35-50ms at low peak, 80-200ms at high peak, local/inner-city servers always under 5ms):
9568783424.png

To Singaporean server:
9568779004.png

Fed-Kun's army
@takosama *sigh* I could write you an essay but the short version is it's a duopoly and our regulators don't give a shit so they price fix with each other and own all the lines in the ground so even resellers can only offer so much. I checked Bell.ca for Toronto (i.e. the best served location in the country) and 1.5Gbps up/940 Mbps down is the best they offer: $125/month + tax CAD. I pay $50/month + tax for 70 / 10 from a reseller on a deal and that was the best value I could find.

edit: ah no sorry that was just me being lazy with typing, it's Mbps/Gbps

I’d love to help but my ISP severely handicaps uploads.

9568826614.png

internet here are also overhead lines which severely limits bandwidth reliability too..

possible to setup a ramnode vps in SEA region to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread