Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hollyguild Wow... Though I think, where I live, it is an exception to the US version of the duopoly, since the providers tend to stay out of each other's zones (say, cox and Comcast).
I'm looking over here, and 50 could either get u the promo 1/1 gig or normally 100/20mbps ( don't quote me on it)
Ig the gig is just too op...
@Archmage
So is the system based off of H @ H, and if it is, can I use a VPN (again, one that allows p2p) (I'm not familiar with H @ H but I'm currently looking into it)

@ixlone I'm sorry, but is it not possible for the disk cache allocation to be lower than that? I do have an Amazon Lightsail instance that runs in Singapore, but I can only share for like 20GB storage at most.
And it would be nice too if you can also put an option to limit the hourly bandwidth and the network burst speed.
Or well, if that's not possible in the short-middle term, I'll just use my EU server ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Other than that, good job guys! I'll definitely queueing on this one when all of those main concerns get addressed.

VIP
Hi!
I'm one of devs in the post above.
Port is must have, especially behind a NAT.
Static IP is not.
Speed and storage requirements are high as we have a limit of new clients per time. Later it can be eased.

Power Uploader
@Kashi_takashi
If you checked @Home, that one is an inactive user. H is not, however. (So it'd probably be better if people used "M@Home" instead.)

Power Uploader
By the way, how many mangas are served using M@home right now?? I checked some but didn't find any...

@Dead-chan But, if by chance, @home decides to come online again then he'll be totally surprised to find 9999999 Notifications... lmao

Group Leader
Apologies if this was asked before. But does this mean that older chapters will "ONLY" be available through this method? Or is this just to help with load times for those that choose to enable this feature?

@xAnoki if no MatH clients have the chapter then it will be served on MangaDex servers, this is to ease the load on the network from the older chapters.

I'm wondering... will mangadex send a checksum the client will compare to what the M@Home host sends? This way if a M@Home host is maliciously sending the wrong stuff it can get flagged immediately. What could be sent maliciously? Well, for instance the host could send gore for the lulz. That would get flagged manually pretty fast I guess though. They could add advertising watermarks... imagine one of those other aggregator hosting a M@Home node to send users their way 😀. Another abuse could be to modify speech a node host disagrees with. Image a manga critical of China hosted in China!

Dex-chan lover
I'd like to help but I need to discuss with the network admin of my house first, I have the speed and storage to join

[removed the speedtest images since I'm not sure if it's possible to do with my isp]

Also what OS can the client run on?

Power Uploader
@geistchevalier as stated earlier, The client can be insalled on any OS...

Oh man... That's a huge speed you have there for a home wifi... usually only business wifi have that much speed

Contributor
Moving to an area with just below fiber internet soon, and im at like 700 read series at this point so ill make sure to get a server up to pay that back lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread