Love Agency - Ch. 37 - Contract Termination

Dex-chan lover
the problem with characters with 0 proactivity like Mari is that readers know that outcome they're trying to resist will come to pass anyway. There's 0 mystery or suspense to the idea that Mari will eventually change in a way that moves the plot forward, so all having her resist does is make her less likable.

Characters need to have some form of active goal to stay relevant as a protagonist viewpoint... at least if you want them to be liked.

Dex-chan lover
Now I am curious about the "series of failed loves", I mean we know dad off himself but then did her mother continue her love live and failing after cheating... if so then karma really did her in huh. (but not without collateral damage to our FMC)

Dex-chan lover
Does Japan not have child protective services?

Cause her mom's behavior is way beyond just a mom being toxic.

Lady is a legit threat to her daughter's well being with that impulsive destructive behavior.

She could easily snap one day and stab her daughter in a mad fit of rage.
They do and I think that was the implication when Kon mentioned resources for troubled family. But that would require Mari to want to cut off her mother from her life. Being her only mom, she’s obviously reluctant to do that.

Dex-chan lover
Something I really like about this series is Mari's perspective on her situation. She keeps saying it's not that bad, it's not a big deal. We as the readers can see that it IS a big deal... but Mari, having that situation around her everyday, and having grown up with it, mostly sees it as normal. She doesn't have the perspective or the objective view to truly understand her situation and how bad it is, which is realistic! If you grow up in something like that, and you have no close friends to give you a different perspective, you just think it's normal, and every family is like that.

Plus there's the whole parental love thing, where we generally love our parents, even if they do bad things to us, because they're our parents.

Dex-chan lover
There's 0 mystery or suspense to the idea that Mari will eventually change in a way that moves the plot forward
That's like saying there's zero mystery or suspense to the idea that the protagonist will overcome the antagonist and most the plot forward. If you boil it down to just general ideas, you can make anything sound bland and generic.

The question very rarely is if, but how. The journey, not the goal.

Dex-chan lover
You know, I did talk about a foursome, but could it be that it’s going to be mari x kon and seki x pon? what a twist. i hope they share each other in bed though

Dw Kon, you are not alone. I hate humans.

Jokes aside, I like the depiction of Mari's situation. She has to 'parent' her mother. As in, 'protect' her, make sure to keep her 'emotionally stable' by avoiding triggers etc. I also like how she copes with the situation, 'this is fine', 'all humans have their weaknesses', 'this is normal' etc.

Realistically, this situation at least has an eventual end once Mari is an adult and manages to move out/cut her mom off. (easier said than done, ik)

Someone mentioned 'why is the mom acting like that when she is the guilty one? The one that cheated'. A lot of ppl that do bad things do not accept the guilt. 'everyone does it', 'this and that person's actions are so much worse', 'it's my husband's fault for neglecting me/not showing enough affection', etc. It is easier to run away from your guilt/redirect the guilt than accept it.

You can also see how doing so makes the mom's life in some ways hard as well. See how she blames everything and everyone else while throwing her temper tantrum. When it's not your fault you also cannot take action to remedy the situation cos you cannot change other ppl's behaviors/actions.

Also yay for Kon's development, taking action to help her friend.

Does Japan not have child protective services?

Cause her mom's behavior is way beyond just a mom being toxic.

Lady is a legit threat to her daughter's well being with that impulsive destructive behavior.

She could easily snap one day and stab her daughter in a mad fit of rage.
There is but she chose her mom
She doesn't know any better

Dex-chan lover
That's like saying there's zero mystery or suspense to the idea that the protagonist will overcome the antagonist and most the plot forward. If you boil it down to just general ideas, you can make anything sound bland and generic.

The question very rarely is if, but how. The journey, not the goal.
you're not understanding what I said. The point is that a character who has no proactivity won't be likeable because their lack of intention runs contrary to the goals of the reader, which is to see the story progress.

Dex-chan lover
you're not understanding what I said. The point is that a character who has no proactivity won't be likeable because their lack of intention runs contrary to the goals of the reader, which is to see the story progress.
Oh, in that case you're just wrong. First off, a character should not be working towards the story progress. A character should generally (unless it's a steadfast character progression) work towards the wrong goal, and learn the right goal over the course of the story, usually only figuring it out in the last act.

Second, saying she has no proactivity is a bit wrong when she's actually making decisions. She's not making the right decisions, but she does make decisions, and that is along with classic character development.

What you're talking about is closer related to OP isekai protagonists who just steamroll everything and always make the right decisions than well-regarded literary protagonists.

Mari is like a 15yo who doesn't want to completely cut off her mom in a culture where it's probably very uncommon to do so. And some of the comments are like, why doesn't she leave her house (with what money?), how dare she not fall in love with Seki, etc... Well most people won't choose someone they've known for a few months vs a parent that raised them, even if the parent is abusive. Hell, she doesn't even consider it abuse.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, in that case you're just wrong. First off, a character should not be working towards the story progress. A character should generally (unless it's a steadfast character progression) work towards the wrong goal, and learn the right goal over the course of the story, usually only figuring it out in the last act.

Second, saying she has no proactivity is a bit wrong when she's actually making decisions. She's not making the right decisions, but she does make decisions, and that is along with classic character development.

What you're talking about is closer related to OP isekai protagonists who just steamroll everything and always make the right decisions than well-regarded literary protagonists.
Again, you're mixing what I'm saying with what you want to argue against. Making the "wrong" choice is still progressing the story.

Dex-chan lover
Again, you're mixing what I'm saying with what you want to argue against. Making the "wrong" choice is still progressing the story.
No, what you're saying isn't what you mean to convey. You're saying vague things and whining when you're not understood exactly as you intend. It's very hard to understand your definition of things when your premise is wrong and you explain yourself poorly.

The premise here is the second point I mentioned. She is making the "wrong" choices, which means she's progressing the story by your definition, something you said she doesn't do. That's a contradiction you have to explain, because what you say doesn't make sense as long as that contradiction is there.

Man, Mari lashing out at like that at the shitty position she feels culturally forced to endure is sad...

Is what I would say if I wasn't an internet expert on all matters! how dare she not be nice and logical and have figured out what to do!? I would simply not endure familial trauma, it's that simple duh. This is why she is objectively terrible and deserves all of our hate and to suffer and die, she should just be nice and and cute so I can dream of dating her. God I hate her, I hate women!
I love you

Users who are viewing this thread