Made in Abyss - Vol. 9 Ch. 55 - Faputa and Reg

Fed-Kun's army
based chapter
Jvars.png

Double-page supporter
@anuar_kumadesu

There is no way to resolve Faputa's arc without either Faputa or Reg dying, and spoiler alert: Main Character Reg isn't dying.

Double-page supporter
@Malta

If you think about it, the plot of Made in Abyss exactly mirrors the plot of The Last of Us 1 and 2. Mitty is Joel.

Dex-chan lover
In a way this is just 2 robots without a will of their own

Reg just does as he is told, doesn't even has memories of his own, and can only make louse excuses for his actions in order to serve the interest of others.

While Faputa is just following the command she was born with.

This can only end bad for them, because automatons don't need feelings.

Aggregator gang
@Fari Thats why I said "seemly" lmfao
He seemed into her at first, but I guess on the basis of her being a cute girl rather than actual love. With time clearly he comes to befriend her but being in love with her??? Umm doubtful. But yeah I think she qualifies for the "cucked" badge 😂

@Doomroar *Faputa. Is going to end bad for Faputa. Reg is going to be fine, because lo and behold, Riko needs his robo-ass to survive If she intends to descend even deeper into the madness. Which means he will be protected by plot armor (I mean the whole point of him being a mysterious robot is that he can dish out random shit as plot demands If he ever needs it without it being super forced).

Faputa on the other hand... She either grants her mother's wish and destroys the narehate village, killing herself in the process (as hinted by Reg with his whole "i dont want to sit and watch you destroy yourself") or she fails and dies. Or joins Reg and Riko (very unlikely).

I kinda have to agree that this arc doesnt feel that engaging. But because the main characters themselves arent that engaged with the conflict at hand, so It just leaves us with Reg wanting to stop Faputa just... kinda because, really. Him barely remembering Faputa just makes it worse.

Dex-chan lover
@A-tan True it will end bad mostly for Faputa.

I think the line of Reg saying that he doesn't wants to see her destroying herself, is just part of his bullshit excuses, it has been established that Faputa is near immortal and has super regeneration, killing her mother shouldn't end in her killing herself, that seems to come more out of plot convenience, so that Reg will end killing Faputa and feel bad about it without knowing why.

That's probably the reason behind Reg being able to remember only extremely vague yet relevant feelings towards Faputa, so that he can kill her without questioning (once Riko tells him to fire), but still experience some remorse about it.

I need those fonts right now! Where can I find the editor of Narehate scans?

I've been searching for the right sources for more than 2 hours, but I can't find something like this scan ...

Dex-chan lover
I’m always just baffled by the production of this book. Like, how does it exist? It’s beautiful.

You know, I've seen the author at a con in 2018, if I remember correctly. Seemed very shy and childlike. We watched the anime-synopsis movie, in PMMM fashion (I was hoping they'd screen the actual follow-up movie, but that was an error on my part).

The Faputa arc feels similar to HxH's Chimera arc, you know? This sudden derailing from the previous arcs' setup, this lengthy backstory on characters we're not all that invested in, this sudden abyss language which gets a bit grating to follow. And like the Chimera arc, it pushes characters out of their comfort zone and into the extremes of their personalities. I'd argue that Gon's extreme side was shown more organically than anything that's happening to Reg and Riko; in fact their constant beating and encounters with erotic deviancy (be it explicit or suggestive) doesn't feel all too plot relevant, because they simply don't grow nor show consequences for it.
Faputa's "beating from the inside" scene added nothing other than pure titillation, it's a feeling akin to those early PSX racing games where you got to squish pixelated bunnies.
Updates coming in so sporadically (thank you forever Narehate scans, you peeps act fast <3) don't help at all, too easy to forget who's who, especially when so many chapters focus on warped characters rather than our main guys Riko and Reg.
I sure wonder how an anime adaptation is gonna handle it all. I kinda feel that this veering towards the extreme does hold some purpose, as it was stated from the start that the deeper the abyss, the more corrupted and incomprehensible reality gets. And yet sometimes I get the feeling I'm not reading a story anymore, rather I'm getting to have a look at the naked mind of the author, very much like with Egawa Tatsuya.
It's for this very reason that I keep following this manga. As many of you pointed out, most isekai stuff feels insincere because they play it safe. They're all about titillation, it just comes in more socially acceptable (thus profitable) forms. The author here is genuine, even dangerously so. I'm following his crazy story to the end.

I didn't understand half of what was said, but I don't think it matters, this manga is great, and the art even more so.

Aggregator gang
@Fumettosa I felt 50 times more invested in the romance between a king ant monster and a blind girl than this.
This is just vapid in comparison. Everything is superficial, like a boring shounen jump fight with nakamapower shoved in. Except this one is reeking in the author's fetishism of little kids.

@Doomroar We know she called herself (i think) immortal but i dont think she can heal fast at all. Back when she gives to Reg chunks of herself, she is shown injured for quite a while. If she had amazing regeneration abilities she would heal herself on the spot instead of suffering having bugs on her open wounds.
We actually dont know If her killing her mother wouldnt indirectly kill her. Either way her chances of surviving this are pretty low.
I feel bad for her, really. She could have lived a normal life (as normal as you can get in the abyss tbh) or chase after Reg but instead she is been cursed since the day she was born to carry on a gruesome mission. She never had a choice and anything she wanted or wished for will never come true.

I don't know if I want to see Faputa's death or peaceful resolution. That one trope about murder of a super cute little loli for shock value and trauma was overused to death and I'm sick of all those characters who only exist to die in a span of few chapters. Mitty's story was sad, but only because I felt bad for Nanachi, Mitty herself is hardly a character, Prushka was meh, Mitty 2.0 was abomination of a plot and waste of time and I didn't care about Vueko's friend at all. But at the same time I don't want to see manga turning into a borderline harem, and it's rather obvious that author is incapable to give a proper development for all characters. Once Nanachi joined the team, Riko got sidelined, then, Nanachi was written off. Reg had been always a basic template of a shounen hero, bland and lifeless nice guy. With Faputa in team I have no idea how author will be able to handle four party members, considering that weak character writing is one of made in abyss main weaknesses, especially with all the gore and violence, which in theory should help characters to develop faster, but like @Fumettosa mentioned they simply don't grow nor show consequences.
I guess, I'm leaning more towards a tragic finale for Faputa, but I hope in future arcs manga is going to move on from "kill a cutie to make reader sad".

Users who are viewing this thread