Magical Trans! - Vol. 3 Ch. 29 - Summer! Sea! Youth! Part 1

Gender bender in most japanese manga has nothing to do with challenging society. In fact, many of them are either poking fun or putting the male MC in an uncomfortable situation. The ones that are about trans people can honestly be considered another subgenre as they obviously aim in a different direction than, for example, this manga. From that, I don't think that this manga character really fits as trans, he's just having stupid fun like any other dude would in that situation, but whatever, that's JMHO.

On a second note, "it's a trap!" is a pretty damn common internet meme. Many use that phrase for manga crossdressing situations more than anything else. Hell, personally, I would rather not have to look at some "girl" that really turns out to be a crossdressing guy with a dick. That just makes me want to gouge out my eyes and forget what I saw and thought. I mean shit, I'd really rather look at a manga character that actually can actually have a cute 2D girls body.😂 I mean, If you feel offended by that, oh well, ignore it and continue on, not everyone can be pleased at a given time.

On a more serious note, I try not to offend, because I really do respect everyone's opinion, orientation, etc, I mean, that's that persons life and decision, I shouldn't even have to know about that as it's not my problem, but it just irks me when people are so inclined to inform everyone of their personal beliefs, and expects those people to openly accept it as their own to avoid offense. Those who often call out "offensive" words just need to grow up and worry about their own business. Life is just too damn short to be offended at everything.

Oh shit, now that I think about it, a manga comment section is really not the best place to discuss social opinions and/or insecurities. So, I guess this is my last comment on those issues...

Dex-chan lover
you expect humanity on the internet, you've got another thing coming

Guess when I don't agree, my "basic humanity" comes into question. I feel hurt 😂

Maybe you were appealing to something else??

Dex-chan lover
@Mikhail Is it weird to expect humanity from humans?

I'm sorry that I seemed to think better of you than you seem to think of yourself.

@delorean101 Not caring whether you're antagonizing people who face everyday fear for their own lives is... pretty inhumane, yeah. Sorry.

Not caring whether you're antagonizing people who face everyday fear for their own lives is... pretty inhuman, yeah. Sorry.

THAT OFFENDED ME!

Lol.

Edit: I just need to stop... This is starting to veer waaaay off.

Dex-chan lover
@MidnighTea get the feeling your exaggerating a bit here.....
I knew two trans who referred to themselves as traps as jokes!
Granted, it was only in high school around close friends and 2 family members (I was her cousin).
That was years ago, I don't even know they make jokes like that about themselves now that they have fully transitioned.....

Maybe your right, but calling someone "GAY" carries similar weight (regardless if they're right or not). At least in my experience, people that say that usually get dissmissive looks, as well as being label as immature and a dumbass. I just don't think many people yell that out loud, even ones that do usually do so in private. Majority of people saying it here are usually joking.

Had no idea trap was considered a slur now though.
Guess I'll be more careful then..

Dex-chan lover
Yeah but honestly i just kinda disagree with what you're saying. I don't feel as if "trap" is a slur, at least in the context of a crossdressing male. In terms of actual transsexuals, yes, I would agree, but many crossdressers not only utilize the term but embrace it. Keep in mind i'm saying this
as a crossdresser.
I agree that transsexuals should be treated with more respect, referring to them as traps is honestly pretty rude and disrespectful of who they are, but saying that somebody can't say a word just because it might offend one group is pretty closed minded imo.

sorry for being a jerk

Dex-chan lover
@Mikhail If you talk to the trans community, you'll get stories of big brothers beating the sh** out of them and such while shouting "TRAP!!" and such. In much the same way f*g is used against gay people.

But you know what? Thank you, I really appreciate what you said. Sincerely. And you know, I kind of agree that people are too hypersensitive to being offended and such these days? I just think this is sort of one of those special cases. If anything, people being too hypersensitive is a big problem precisely because it makes it harder to point out something like this. It seems indistinguishable from other outrage-flavor-of-the-weeks. People need to have a thicker skin precisely because it becomes a "boy who cried wolf" situation otherwise when actual violence starts happening.

I'm sorry if I came off as too intense as well. I probably should've asked where you were coming from so I'd come across better. Thanks for listening to me and I wish you the best. (you as well, @delorean101 )

@PsychoJing IMHO there was a time when "trap" was kind of more of a jokey, cute thing. As with most memes and jokey cute things on the internet, assholes eventually ruined it. (of course one could point out this being a cutesy way of reframing trans panic to begin with, but I myself had trans friends back in the day who used it ironically to refer to themselves as well.)

Dex-chan lover
Oh, and on the topic of whether Minami is trans?

I dun think he's meant to be written as such, no. But I come from an era of the internet where it's totally cool to have your own interpretation of a character based on what's presented. And there is a lot there to suggest a trans interpretation of Minami. And it's fun to read it that way. So I'm not surprised some trans folk are so-far enjoying the heck out of this manga. But I don't think anyone reasonable would insist that Minami-as-trans is the only or best way to interpret it. Or even the intended way. (I mean we won't know for sure until we see the ending but...)

I love this manga a ton so far either way. Sorry for gunking up the comment section with the serious talk, anyone reading this from the future!

Double-page supporter
What are you losers doing arguing transgender shit and politics in the comments of a gender bender gag manga?

Minami said he only likes being a girl because he can go back to being a guy. This isn't a realistic scenario nor is it related to transgenderism.
Also trap is a term for dudes who look enough like chicks to be mistaken for them, bonus points if they're purposefully concealing the fact they're male. It also has nothing to do with transgenderism.
A trap can be a trap without being transgender and a trans person can be a trans person without being a trap (since many don't pass as women)

I want to read talk about the swimsuits and maniacal girl this chapter, not ignorant takes on politics and dysphoria.

Dex-chan lover
"Stop talking about stuff I'm now going to be talking about! Also, help me put out this fire I have a whole truck of gasoline right here, we'll hose it right down!"

Dumbass.

Dex-chan lover
@Bourbon It's entirely possible that Minami is genderfluid, like Tedd Verres from EGS. And of course the premise of the comic is unrealistic, but that doesn't mean parts of it can't apply to real life. The X-Men are a group of superpowered beings that could never exist, but they've traditionally been used to explore the very real experiences of racial minorities.

Also, "trap" is a word that forces the world into the perspective of some straight guys who don't consider that maybe, some penis-having people just want to look feminine and that it isn't a malicious plot.

@Vainfire
Hmm, I don't see xmen being labeled as an ecchi comedy. Also, TBH most guys in the world are straight. We don't want to look at a surprise elephant when we thought it was a girl thank you very much!

And with this whole taking offense with the word "trap" nonsense.
stop-it-get-5bc3ad.jpg

Dex-chan lover
As is the tradition of the internet, the more something get used, the more it gets complicated, just because internet warriors always like to prove they know more than the other.

Back in the days, trap just meant a girl with a photoshopped/drawn dick. Now it seems you can apply it to rocket science if you bait hard enough.

Dex-chan lover
I'm going to leave this here for anyone who insists about the word not being a slur and people being too offended. This was just last year alone.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-transgender-community-in-2018

I'll throw these two in as... "classics" from years past, cited from an article on the concept of trans panic.

Angie Zapata was beaten to death by Allen Andrade in July 2008. After Andrade learned that Zapata had male genitalia, she smiled at him and said "I'm all woman"; his defense attorney stated the smile "was a highly provoking act, and it would cause someone to have an aggressive reaction" when arguing to have the charge against him dropped to second-degree murder. Judge Marcelo Kopcow rejected that argument, and Andrade was sentenced to a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole after he was convicted by a jury of first-degree murder in 2009 after two hours of deliberation. The conviction included a hate crime endorsement, believed to be the first instance of a hate crime application when the victim was transgender.

Islan Nettles was beaten to death in Harlem just after midnight on August 17, 2013. The killer, James Dixon, was not indicted until March 2015, despite turning himself in three days after the attack and confessing that he had flown into "a blind fury" when he realized that Nettles was a transgender woman. Dixon pleaded not guilty to first-degree manslaughter at his indictment. Dixon was not charged with murder, which would have required proof of intent, nor was he charged with a hate crime. During his confession, Dixon said that his friends had mocked him for flirting with Nettles, not realizing that she was transgender, and furthermore, in an incident a few days prior to the beating, his friends had teased him after he flirted with two transgender women while he was doing pull-ups on a scaffolding at 138th Street and Eighth Avenue. Dixon pleaded guilty and received a sentence of 12 years' imprisonment, a sentence that Nettles' mother felt was too lenient.

This is why the word "trap" is scary. We don't know if you mean it in the mostly-innocent ironic way it used to be used, or if you are the sort of person to commit violence against us. If you're not the latter, I'd appreciate knowing. "Tranny" hasn't been used for a long time, they've taken to using your word instead more and more these days because it has plausible deniability. ("I was just joking bruh")

Anyways I really am sorry for derailing discussion of probably one of my favorite manga in years. I just want trans people present or reading these comments to still feel welcome because this comic does appeal to them too. I feel my point has been made and I promise not to push this any further.

Users who are viewing this thread