Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Vol. 23 Ch. 196 - Passion in Greed

Dex-chan lover
@immy Huh, it's quite the opposite. People take straight relationships as seriously as possible from all sides, while gay characters and plots almost always have "yuri is hot" armor. The boundaries for fictional queer relationships and ships are so low that even outright toxic and abusive characters will still find the support and love of tons of people.

Generally. This arc literally created the very opportunity for Kuromu to get involved in it. For example, Clara was sometimes fascinated by succubus, if desired, this could be interpreted as having some kind of interest. Amery has always had fans of both genders. You can always do something about it. At the same time, if the author really wants to do yuri, then Kuromu literally got the trope "sudden sexuality"

Well, that's typical shippers thinking, nothing new. I remember people writing that some of the characters are bisexual despite the existence of only canon straight affections in the plot, saying "hey, bisexuals exist" or "hey, nowhere is it said that only men are attracted to her."

Very weak arc. I thought this would be a fun one but it was really a very predictable slog. Lied and Amelie had minimal significant involvement. Gyari was way too static and repetitive for an antagonist. Honestly even Iruma's incorporation into this arc felt pretty bland. We get it already, he's very handsome. Show me how he goes about solving a challenging dilemma instead, that's more entertaining. I hope Amelie is involved in the next arc because this did not leave me satisfied after her (understandable) long dearth of appearances during the harvest/music festivals.

Dex-chan lover
I love this arc, because it made me realise things about myself I didn't know I had. It's a shame the second season is unlikely to adapt this, so my Demon Queen Irumi to live on until then!

I know at the end the flames of ... will burn out
Cause this's a closing ah
anyway ugh good job i guess?
waiting for side story (reaction) if it exist

Dex-chan lover
So I've been sitting out the arc.
Was there any actually good Amelie moments during it?
Comments seems to point towards that not really being the case?

Dex-chan lover
G Y A R E E E E C H, I am once again reminded of how amazing the translation team is, simply fantastic

I hope Gyari makes an appearance again soon, even just a minor cameo to show the growth in the relationship between her and Kuromu

Dex-chan lover
this is a nice way to end the arc

@immy pretty sure that's because people are more critical of non-straight portrayals in literature due to the surge of support for them, so people are more critical of these kinds of relationships in case they're being misrepresented/stereotyped accidentally

Dex-chan lover
An arc with only 12 chapters to its name. I wasn't really expecting much, but Gyari's role as an antagonist just turned a generic arc into a "filler arc." NOT BECAUSE SHE WAS GAY (which seems to something the comment section is focusing on) but because she was just a really boring character. A comment mentioned she was static, and repetitive. I couldn't agree more. She's all about being self-imposed, and wanting to marry Kuromu, the unattainable flower. That's it. That's all we know. Other than that she does nothing but self-impose and demonstrate her attitude. We get a 1 chapter flashback that only really stipulates her desire to "want" everything. Something we already knew. Giving her any more than 1 chapter for a flashback would be a bad choice too though, but her backstory just didn't make me invested in her AT ALL. She was just annoying. I didn't Like her, or Hate her (in the good antagonist way). I just really disliked her character.

Otherwise it has it's function as a "basic" arc and could've been as such. Kuromu would take stage as lead actor, this whole arc further cementing her ambition as an evidol (which is basically her special power, rather than her bloodline ice abilities), with Iruma and gang acting as the secondary/supports. Iruma and Amelie both get a moment where they reaffirm their ambitions. Lied was just comic relief (which isn't bad, especially in an arc that should be entertaining > serious). The "twist" development being Wicked Phase Irumi is pretty solid, with it's combination of Wicked phase, a "form" which only occurred once in the series, and Crossdressing. It's just Gyari. She REALLY didn't fulfill her role as an antagonist in a satisfying way, and an antagonist is just as important as the protagonist when it comes to telling an entertaining story that involves both roles.

Dex-chan lover
@immy Personaly I'd say I didn't expect Kuromu to be romanticaly involved at all, beyond some teasing with Iruma since almost everyone has some of that, even the 'I want to be the demon king' guy. Given that she's an idol and all. I don't dislike Gyari but it was still a bit jarring to have her suddenly burst out and have an apparently well known past with Kuromu that has romantic elements. Especialy since in the end, the arc kinda ended without any real change or consequence.

Dex-chan lover
@parkourse No, seriously, more critically? People have always perceived straight relationships as something more serious and important, so straight relationships have always received more criticism. Which, of course, is pretty homophobic. To do this, it is enough to compare what rating straight smut and yuri smut have on the mangadex, especially the violent part. For example, girl versus girl sexual attacks will always be perceived as something fun and hot, while boy versus girl will always receive treatment as sexual harassment and humiliation of a female character without any "buts".

People just use the attitude "straight relationships are real, lesbian relationships are cool and fan service", Of course, with the exception of weirdos, which even lesbian near-hentai will perceive as a wholesome love story.

@BalrogDeMorgoth This is true, but people still have such a secret weapon as "interpretation". For example, one dude on reddit "identified" the feelings between them based on the interpretation of their facial reactions.

@MelReinH The problem is not that she is gay, but that a straight character, especially a male one, in her place would obviously be completely hated for similar behavior if it were not originally portrayed as a negative character. I can even predict how ANN will call him incel or something. But she's a lesbian, is hot and funny, so Gyari may not receive any punishment for that, that will literally killing a male character's "career".

Dex-chan lover
@MelReinH I agree with you.
I'd add that I was disappointed by Kuromu too. The arc revolve around her but she stay static too. Sure we know why she reaffirm why she fight to become an idol but that all... Nothing really new.

This arc was pretty much a filler in that there is very little growth story or character wise.

reu

Dex-chan lover
Between Iruma and kuromu I've no idea who has the biggest gay

Users who are viewing this thread