Major site update: Group blocking, more external links and upcoming infrastructure upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@deleteTF At moment, yes he hasn't done any action that can be considered concrete evidence of circumventing the block function. He did try to "collab" with anonymous group (which as DarkdooM said had never been done before but suddenly did it on the day the block function rolled out) but so far the as long as his group is in the 1st position of the collab, the chapters won't show up which is nice. And you know what, I hope he keeps it that way, less problems for mods and everyone else.

People who don't mind can keep seeing and reading his chapters, but people who don't want to see them shouldn't have to (like that stupid monkey insisting that "ungrateful readers" should). The moment he puts the anonymous group at the front though, we can definitely consider it a violation of the rules and he should be banned, fair and square.

Aggregator gang
@Yatsuki Yes i agree with you, personally i would like him banned but he did nothing wrong so far, so i'm cool with it.

Group Leader
@AbyssalMonkey
I really don't see your point about "pandering" or readers being "ungrateful" for not wanting to see releases that are irrelevant to them. There is only so much space in the new releases list and most people would rather have releases they might actually want to read there. It's the same on places like Steam that constantly try to improve their discovery tools and filter out undesired content.

As for SSSSS's releases specifically, they lack catharsis for many readers. What's the point of reading the very end of a story if you don't understand the events and character developments that led to the current story? There might even be new characters that you have no idea who are since they were introduced chapters ago. How could you be invested in their actions and struggles if you don't know them? As such some people won't want to read SSSSS's releases, which is their choice. They'd rather have their new release list have series with steady progress that they can become invested in and characters they can watch grow.

Dex-chan lover
You are simply foregoing the effort to check who bothered to put them up in the first place. This alone goes to show that readers have started to not care about who did the scans; they'll click first, get angry later. If this isn't entitlement, then the world is truly fucked.
Sadly this is true no matter how much I wish it were otherwise.

Yep, that certain ssss guy(s) should be just banned from here if we are to keep MangaDex clean and tidy, he is bold enough to claim his trolling in profile https://mangadex.org/group/6856/sssss , but I guess admins have other work to do, or personally do not care while uploader formally do not shitpost. But we do see that they shitpost... Well, whatever.

they supposedly cannot control themselves and not click on the last chapter
I do not do this, obviously, but almost every time trolls post chapter AND it's title which sometimes means a lot in terms of plot or development.

@Narf I'm not blaming it all on communism, but you can't begin to explain the problem without going into it a bit.
The problems with china stem from communism, many communist places you tend to notice they look like crap because they have no ownership at all of the things they have, an example being where I live we, as a community pitched in 100$ a head to refurb a park while in china they will let historic landmarks rot because property value wasn't a thing. mix that with population boosting policies due to a though of a third world war, and the subsequent 1 child policy and it, as a whole, screams to everyone there are too many people here, devalues life heavily, and top it off with a social policy that punishes you for being a good samaritan.

For a multitude of reasons, almost all of them starting with the end of ww2 and being exacerbated by what happened afterwards brings us to why their stories have comical sociopaths as their villains.

on the tourism, we would need to broaden the scope a bit and all of asia in general hates other asians, and are relatively xenophobic, and add the rest of the 'how society shapes them' and you have people who only look out for number 1, who are routinely treated to scams in their home country who when they visit abroad mixed with the xenophobia are projecting 'we would screw them hard, why would they not screw us hard', and while in their own country they couldn't care less about what was around them in someone else's country they found the ability to care even less. Now, you have one more very big thing people tend to forget, china is a massive country, much like america. Above america is a country that is more or less compatible with america if not a bit more liberal and below america, the only safe places to go are heavily americanised tourist spots, this makes it so when an american goes to a different country in europe they seem so out of place because for them nearly every place they go was made for them. The fact is their country is so big that most europeans just don't understand that one state, texas covers a good portion of what would be considered europe and add in a second semi large state and it has the rest. For me visiting my grandparents when they were still alive, was a a good 180 mile trip, and we are still inside the same state, much of europe the same is almost impossible. I bring that up just put in context that these people, american and chinese have likely never traveled to other countries, the fairly rampant xenophobia in the continent mixed with in hospitable locations means they wouldn't go on trips to surrounding countries, that and what these countries have done to each other over the years is fairly horrific, (if your curious, look up why we know so much about frostbite) so the only option tends to be europe or america which they can't do often. Another point i have to bring up because of a chinese tourist google search, they are also a very under developed country outside of urban pockets. keep in mind, much like america the country is huge, so a complete infrastructure boost in nearly impossible unless its built that way from the get go, or there is incentive to really increase it. So whats normal for them will be a 'how in the hell did you decided to do THAT' to us.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
If you guys are going to argue about politics do it in some other thread where it's on-topic.

Group Leader
FQXXZEo.png

https://mangadex.org/chapter/737575
Big if true!

That groups egregious behaviour and translations are so bad that even some of the robohosting sites are removing their stuff.

What's the point of blocking a group when clicking on the last page of a chapter from another group takes you to a blocked group's chapter?

Aggregator gang
I don't know if this is the correct place, but I find what may be a technical problem to the way the group blocking function currently works. To demonstrate:

1. I blocked the SSSSS group. Which meant that its releases did not show up on the chapters list or my frontpage. Working as intended so far.
2. I read the latest non-SSSSS available chapter for https://mangadex.org/title/21063/mairimashita-iruma-kun, which is chapter 63 at the time of my posting.
3. However, there are three problems right now: first, if I reach the last page and click next, the reader still loads the next available chapter--which I believe is SSSSS'--and is chapter 94.
4. The second problem is that I don't even see the "skipping chapters" warning that would presumably otherwise come up when I click next after the last page of chapter 63.
5. A lesser problem to the other two is that I can still see the 'blocked' chapters on the dropdown list as well.

This is an issue because the blocking feature did not prevent me from accessing the chapters by the blocked group, and more importantly, I did not even get the warning function that Mangadex previously implemented. If I am not careful (and I'm sure we agree readers aren't supposed to be *careful* enjoying their manga) the spoiler risk is actually higher than if I didn't block the group.

As a side note, I still recommend banning the offending group for trolling. Slippery slope arguments are severely overrated and rarely employed in good faith on the internet; if the "I know it when I see it" standard is good enough for the United States Supreme Court, then it's good enough for Mangadex.

Power Uploader
I'm with what some others have said on here. I'd like to see a manga block function next.

Lots of times I see series that I don't have any interest in, be it the artstyle or the plot synopsis, I don't plan to read it, and it clutters up the homepage as updates for those series keep popping up.
If I could see a series page once, decide it's not for me, and then block that series, I would be glad... it'd make the homepage a bit more useful for finding new series.

If this manga block feature gets implemented, it could also eventually help if an automated recommendations system ever gets implemented, giving better tailored recommendations based on what any specific user has followed vs. what they've blocked.

Dex-chan lover
@Kiraidesu Can you try again now? I just tried doing what you did but didn't see SSSSS' chapters at all, not even from the dropdown list. Maybe the mods and devs fixed it?

Edit: I didn't refresh the page when I finished checking so I didn't see Holo's response. But anyway I didn't encounter the same problem, tested with Iruma kun and Nyanko days which SSSSS also butt it, didn't see the chapters from the dropdown list, also didn't get directed to SSSSS' chapter either. So maybe some kind of bug?

i'm wondering if folks who are reporting issues are indeed using the current manga reader, versus the legacy reader. folks should check that from the get-go.

Group Leader
Speaking about the infrastructure upgrades, I just got an error saying the site was under heavy load and had to reload the site for it to work.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Genzou Yeah, we are hitting the limits of the existing infrastructure at peak times. We're currently considering our options and finances and will be getting more servers very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread