Major site update: Group blocking, more external links and upcoming infrastructure upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-page supporter
Does it help the site if users block something? In that if the site didn't serve something due to blocking that would otherwise have been served, does it reduce the load on the server? Probably infinitesimal, but a nice thought perhaps.
I don't use the FP so I don't really have a use for the group block but thanks just the same!
I only block one particular thing only: users who post that they are dropping a series in the comments. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Haven't looked at my list lately but I'm sure it's in the dozens now!

Do we have a way to see which new titles have been added to the site yet?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Yeabuddy
We will most likely not implement this feature on the current version of MD. We will be moving to Xenforo 2 at some point in the future, which has this feature.

Group Leader
And for when a rule of respect between scanlations to not "stole" an active manga, if is not since the first chapter, like in the spanish scanlation community? That new thing is just like cover your eyes XD...

Miku best girl
Admin
@Akiyama Scanlator etiquette is something that that we don't police, because doing so would imply that the first group had some "right" over the translation of the title, which they don't have.

That said, groups generally respect other groups and would at least ask before taking over a title, in my experience.

These sounds like minor additions and expanded features that were essentially already in place. How is something a major update when the majority of the users won't notice it? Clickbait isn't cool man. You listed 1 (ONE) new addition.

Group Leader
Well, with my proposal, the first scanlation wouldn't had rights over the translation, but all the scanlations that works a manga since the first chapter. If another scanlation wants to work an active manga, they would only have to do it since the first chap.

Dex-chan lover
@Akiyama While the whole "no sniping" thing is some what of an unspoken etiquette among the translators, it still doesn't change the fact that no translation groups, not even the "since first chapter" ones have the rights over a series. If a group want to butt in (yes even SSSSS) they can do it, readers can decide if they want to stick to the original group, the better group, faster group, spoiler group etc or whatever they want. Mangadex doesn't and definitely shouldn't have to get involved with the whole translation groups drama

Group Leader
Most of the readers read the first version uploaded, they don't care the quality, they don't reward the good quality but the speed, I've been almost 5 years in the scanlation world and I saw that a lot of times. I think is disrespectful and isn't fair be working on a manga actively, 95 chapters, during 2 years and then be snipped by an scanlation that uploads the last chapter XD. In the main spanish web of manga there are rules to prevent these dramas, at least you start since the first chapter, you get the permission of the current active scanlation, or if the manga it's been abandoned 2 months, or if the scanlation has uploaded yet the last chapter then you can uploaded after too, but only after.

But well, mangadex can do what they want, it was just a suggestion, I just exposed my point, they decide whether consider it or dismiss the idea, and whatever will be fine, everyone have their own thoughts XD.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Akiyama I don't actually disagree with you personally - I have been in the fansubbing scene for 10 years and I understand your point completely.

@branch Major in the sense that this has been the most requested feature for the past 4 months or so.

Would it be possible for the gap warning feature to also be made available on the legacy reader?

Miku best girl
Admin
I tried to move the site to the new server but failed due to too many users reading attack on titan and the cache couldn't rebuild. Will try again soon.

Dex-chan lover
@w4tchdoge
I'd like this too. I much prefer the simplicity of the legacy reader.
I doubt it'll happen though, given that it's the legacy option after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread