Major site update: Group blocking, more external links and upcoming infrastructure upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fed-Kun's army
@ Kanami-chan - I've seen many good Korean and Chinese comics (story-wise and art-wise), blocking them just because of where they are from would be a loss.

Scanlation is a volunteer work. Seeing all the comments openly mocking scanlators, I don't get why translators don't just stick with just reading. There's really no merit in doing a scanlation work unless you're doing it for patreon. These mean commenters don't deserve anything. I certainly don't want to scanlate for these guys. They can buy localized comics or buy the raws themselves if they really want to read so much. The difference is their complains are actually valid since they're now legit paying customers. But for now, any kind of complaint should be dismissed since nobody has the right to complain to this volunteer work. Nobody is entitled to anything.

Group Leader
@WarCatBattalion If you're able to scanlate, then by all means do it for the silent, grateful majority of readers. The view counter alone will make you feel justified.

As for the chapter skip trolls, I suggest putting a big fat "Spoiler warning" on the chapter skip message box, and consider the problem solved.

As for reader complaints, I believe that scanlators should feel some pressure. When scanlating a non-mainstream title, there are good chances that you work will be the only translation ever available in your target language. The chances that someone will retranslate an already scanlated series, and do a better job of it, are negligible. Since you're putting in time and effort anyway, might as well do your best.

Miku best girl
Admin
@deltarayedge

He is currently the #1 blocked group. His group has 10x more users blocking it than the #2 blocked group.

Dex-chan lover
I would have assumed that we'll get a block manga feature before this. I guess people really do love their controversy though.

Group Leader
That's kind of cool I guess, though it probably doesn't really solve anything. Only really that useful for groups that literally only do shitty/trash scanlations who can of course just change name. I do think that if you're literally trolling you should be removed though.

Dex-chan lover
@Ischios
It doesn't work on the updates feed. That's where I pick up new series to read most of the time, and getting a boatload of korean and chinese stuff I don't care for doesn't help.

@holo thanks, that's nice to know.

can we get it as a relative percentage to the number of subscriptions on urara and kyuu? i'd be very interested in that.

Contributor
@WarCatBattalion
I like the comments and I also like how I can read manga in English without thinking too much. The comments are nice. Did I mention that I like the comments?

Miku best girl
Admin
I think our comments are pretty nice on the whole compared to certain other sites.

Double-page supporter
What happens if I block "no group"? Or "anonimous" (or whatever it called)?

Aggregator gang
Hi, could you make that one can subscribe his favourite manga artist instead of liking his individual works?

why blocking a specific group ?

can somebody explain me the merits of this function ? 🤔

Power Uploader
@dokkotak You're right, nice catch. I confirmed the same thing in mine.

And there is more. I don't have 22 rows in the Latest Updates tab in my front page. I have 21. And when I blocked DB to test, it fell to 17. Assuming you didn't count wrong (and perhaps you did, since you used ~ to indicate approximation), this means blocks affect the number of series in your front page.

Perhaps MDex is coded to list a maximal number of series in the front page (for people who block nothing), but not a minimal (or maybe there is a minimal but neither you nor I have reached yet). I know that this doesn't apply to genre blocks. I tried blocking isekai and the number of rows remained the same, and series had been knocked off the front page scrolled up back into it at the end.

Personally, I think if this is true, massive blocks will affect the usefulness of the front page, especially if someone blocks MangaPlus as you said. I think it would be better, @Holo, if it's not a big deal in terms of coding, to make the group block conservative like the genre block is in terms of rows in the front page.

(Especially because if the much-awaited, future language of origin block comes in the same fashion as the group block, anyone who blocks isekai and manhua will be left with a very small front page.)

Is blocking a specific group on a specific series something that is planned next? There are some series where the scanlators are fighting over releasing first so i'd want to hide one, but they also do other series i read so i don't want to hide all of the scans works just because of one series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread