Major site update: Group blocking, more external links and upcoming infrastructure upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Don't know that SSS guy since I don't read any of the series he sniped but do his actions actually result in the original scanlators dropping said mangas?
Taking a quick look that seems to be the case for the Nyanko Days manga. I'd be pretty pissed if I read that series.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't want to make a new thread just for this but is there a way to block certain users uploading some chapters that come up as not available? they do not have a group listed there group tab is empty so only their names remain and im just tired of seeing their uploads cluttering my latest update page.

@SoaringPegasus
I'll take sniping anydays over troll scans.
at least sniping might spark competition which benefit reader (look at kishuku gakkou no juliet 10 months ago).

Thanks for the ani link very helpful for updating on the desktop

Dex-chan lover
Boom, there goes MangaPlus. Thank you for this feature, very happy it's now live.

I don't wanna sound insolent, but I'd like to chime in with the people asking for the possibility to filter manhua out next. I've tried so many of them (and Chinese LNs, too) and have yet to find one I didn't cancel reading because it was so bad. And I don't consider myself an overly critical reader. Maybe I will actually miss a lone gem that way - but that's worth it if it means getting rid of the loads of trash cluttering the frontpage as far as I am concerned.

people complaining about MangaPlus & manhua need to realize the true enemy that we need to band together to eliminate: Azure Lane & Touhou Doujins

@Narf and many others who spoke about filtering out manhua
I'd like to chime in with the people asking for the possibility to filter manhua out next. I've tried so many of them (and Chinese LNs, too) and have yet to find one I didn't cancel reading because it was so bad.
I'm just curious, what is it about manhua that was so bad in your experience? Was it that the translation was all mangled grammar-wise? Or are you having other issues, like names spellings? Or that the storyline is too messy?

I was looking through the search feature and settings, and I thought there was a way to filter manga/manhwa/manhua, but there isn't. Unless I missed something blatant. Somebody point it out if it actually exists?

Aggregator gang
@criver I know, at least with them it certainly is.
I like to discuss but not coming to make a sterile controversy, if the other party does not listen I give up.
In fact, with another person who translates a manga that I follow, I quarreled because the young gentleman believed that because he translated that manga had the right to prohibit others from starting to translate it.
As if he had the permission from the author of the manga and from the publishing house, there I said mine but at the next answer I didn't even want to read his comment, because he lacked respect from those who answered him.
I don't know this group, but I consider myself lucky not to know them.
As you said yourself the mangadex staff did well to be neutral.

I always have my MDList sorted by last update and I notice that it shows manga I follow are recently updated, but in languages that I have filtered.
Is there a way to, like, only show updates from a selected language or something like that?

@kuma I follow some "hentai" series in the tag that have sfw covers so I can't just block the tag. thanks for your helpful reply.

I'm just curious, what is it about manhua that was so bad in your experience?
For me its a combination of shitty art, predictable plot and names of manhua itself. You read "demonic"," peerless", "invisible", "immortal", "martial", "god", "cultivator". And almost immediately you realise that it's the same shit. Its almost strange that Retired Heroes is Chinese. And Heresy has nice art, so it's a pass. But its better to block them all, you (not you personally) will not regret.

Dex-chan lover
@dokkotak
Bad translations are just part of the problem. Yes, the translations seem garbled/bad more often in manhua than in manga. More heavy use of MTL, too (same for many Korean novels and manwha). Especially in novels I've also noticed that the vocabulary and writing style are very often really basic in comparison to what the English language has to offer. For example, the last Chinese novel I'd read was Release That Witch - mistranslations, spelling and grammar mistakes aside, the novel just read very simple. Comparing the use of language with the novel I currently read (A Practical Guide to Evil - a really nice read btw.) it's like comparing a story written by a grade schooler to one written by a practiced author that majored in literature and English. And I am not even an English native speaker myself, yet the difference is just so glaring.
I couldn't tell whether the source material is just so bad, if it got lost in translation because of the differences between the languages or if the TLers were just bad - I barely know enough Chinese to trade some pleasentries with the employees of our Chinese branch plant.

And it doesn't end with language, really. The stories are unbearably shallow! Simplicistic, foreseeable, onedimensional, just outright boring. Which, to me, is the biggest sin any novel or manga can commit. I can gloss over bad art and faulty translations (as long as either of them aren't too terrible - I too have my limits on what I can ignore), but a bad story is unsalvagable even if the other two categories I just named were the best I've ever seen. Loads of deus-ex-machina or just downright overpowered MCs, too. Not just in a physical sense, also mentally. If I had a cent for every time a Chinese MC has "naturally" already seen through even the most (over-)complicated plan of an opponent ages ago then I'd not have to go to work for a few months. All the while nothing about their everyday behaviour (if the novel/manhua even goes into that detail) makes them seem outstandingly intelligent or a great schemer. All the while a buttload of Chinese characters are just downright psycho- or at least sociopaths with a major lack of empathy, extreme egocentricity, little to no regards of their surroundings be it nature or humans as long as they can gain a profit. I'm not averse to evil characters per se - like I said above I am currently reading and greatly enjoying "A Practical Guide to Evil" in which a great deal of the characters are not exactly nice guys, as the name implies. But Chinese characters are not evil, they are just egotist assholes, and even worse, that seems to viewed as perfectly normal in many of those works!
The characterizations and depth of the characters, thought processes laid out, causal chains, motivations, and so many other parts of proper storytelling - in Chinese novels and manhua, they all constantly fall short to my likings. I will not pretend that there aren't a lot of mangas committing the same mistakes, especially if they fall into a category intended for younger readers - and especially in the isekai category where the term "shovelware" is already applicable to many publications! But unlike manhua, I at least find something I like there every once in a while. That's something I failed to manage with manhua so far despite trying.

Finally, and that one is just a minor itch but it's still there - names. I can't help myself, but I really dislike lots of Chinese naming conventions. Either it sounds like a bag of silverware tumbling down the stairs, or they do a strange mix of western words (Richard, John, Regina, etc. are at least names, but they also just seem to use random vocabulary - a colleague of mine is named "Dolphin" for example) and Chinese names.

Group Leader
all this buttblasted people with SSSSS group, wow, I didn't know that this based group existed, I'm following them.

Aggregator gang
Instead of blocking groups, why not block duplicate chapter notifications?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@NovaXII Because said group could've done chapters that aren't duplicates at all. This feature isn't intended to stop people from viewing duplicate releases of the same chapter

Power Uploader
@dokkotak

I think @Narf nailed it. I would just add, in summary, that manhua give me this feeling that the authors have taken crash courses on "non-Chinese" storytelling (for lack of a better term). Their plots look like superficial, artificial, pedal-to-the-metal versions of common manga and manhwa tropes. All action protags are OP from the start, all revenge plots are sadistic, all SoLs have larger-than-life characters etc. etc. It's as if the plots are merely incidental to other roles they want the series to play - mostly pandering to audiences craving quick and easy wish fulfilment, from the looks of it.

I like to think that giving them time, they'll perfect their storytelling and in 20 years we'll get dense, complex plots with fleshed-out characters who aren't walking stereotypes. Right now, they need to work on making us care when a character dies, kisses or rages. And they're a long way from it, at least for the series I've tried.

And as someone said, there might be really good manhua out there, but you have to go to through much chaff to find a gem. This one's the only one I'm giving a chance after reading dozens of synopses and first chapters: https://mangadex.org/title/42211/disease (Great art, solid first chapter. It might be the one series that prevents me from banning manhua outright when the longed-for filter is implemented.)

Never heard of SSSSS before today but glad I blocked them.

Just a thought, but if a group is so toxic that you prioritize making a feature like group blocking then why not ban that group too?
Don't get me wrong, the feature is a welcome one and I am (or will be) using it to block other groups that I don't like (Loli Mamoritai).
It simply seems to me that SSSSS's only goal is to piss off other people on Mangadex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread