MangaDex Is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fed-Kun's army
I keep reloading .org every hour just to find out you guys changing domain.

Dex-chan lover
Is there any ETA on when older chapters will become available again? Thanks.

Contributor
So, just to be clear and for the avoidance of doubt: I should not go through and write a batch script to change all my thousands of bookmarks to .cc domain, because .org is expected to become valid again in short order?

@Dret

If the goal is to avoid DMCA notices from English publishers then banning licensed titles is the only way. Japanese companies can still DMCA any title they publish.

Good luck MD!
I'm really worried that if you guys ever get taken down in the future, so many small mangas will be lost and I doubt VIZ or rather any other company will work on localising them...
Is there an archive or some sort of insurance (?) out there on the internet to safeguard these small titles?

Have you considered allowing Brave rewards? I've got plenty stored up and nothing to donate them to, as I haven't been able to set up an account to withdraw the funds myself.

I don't really understand why would a domain change make manga uploaded before the whole ordeal unavailable, don't you just make the new domain name point to the server's IP? or are you changing servers too?
Also is mangadex hosted on a rented VPS or does someone from the team have servers at home or something?
I'm really intersted in the process so if someone has time could you explain?

edit: So I read up on what cloudflare does, and if I understand it correctly, switching CDNs shouldn't take that much time either, because -- I assume -- only the reader and the "infrastructure" of the website should be on those servers, and the real content would come from image servers, which would still stay the same.

I almost got SUCKERED by a fake version of this site, while I was trying to find the realone. It was full of “bad” Ads, and super sketchy.

.... it was number one on google, and they are going to get a LOT of the people trying to find the new domain name.

Dex-chan lover
@pizza The core issue is that their server provider is kicking them out and they now need to move nine terabytes of handholding smut across servers. It seems that former host was also handling their domain registration and the donations aspect so that's more issues on top.

There's no way to host anything of the scale of mangadex (or even much smaller) on a home connection, the numbers given by plykiya in the shutdown announcement are pretty impressive. I'm not sure if it's 1-2 petabit or 1-2 petabytes per month though. Imprecise use of scientific notations smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread