MangaDex v3 is coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
Nick86 posted:

In my opinion the reader options should be linked to the account settings
I'm very confident that most people who use MangaDex on both desktop and mobile browser would not want the exact same settings for both. Just as a quick example, I use double page on desktop all the time but that's a fairly awful option on mobile.

Nick86 posted:

v3 have too much options that "eat" a huge portion of the screen.
This makes me think you count the entire sidebar as "options", even though the actual settings are hidden behind the modal window.

The sidebar does eat up 20% of the screen width, but not without a reason. On a 1920x1080 screen, even using double page mode and in complete fullscreen while hiding both the header and the page bar, in nearly all regular manga two pages fit to the screen by their height just fine. Most of the time they're even in the perfect resolution, not so small that the text is illegible, although when that happens I can quickly jump to no resize and read it.

On the other hand, if I were to use single page and fit to width, the pages could be enormous without the sidebar. There would be a lot of scrolling involved, especially if the series happens to be a 4-koma with two strips per page. I'm not saying I did a perfect job with it, but I did try to base the sidebar width mostly on how it would affect different modes. I found that there were a lot of manga that had images at such high resolutions that just having the sidebar open helped with constraining them to a readable size. For low resolution screen using single page mode and fit width, the effect worked even better. Otherwise, looking at 1/3 of the page at a time was fairly annoying, so the sidebar was a nice natural fix for that issue.

Regardless, I guess some people like setting their own container widths, so I made that an extra option. Personally I would rather recommend trying out different rendering and fit modes to find what works best on your screen.

Nick86 posted:

the less option in the reader the better, prefer minimalistic as much as possible.
Assuming you mean the actual settings with this, to a degree I completely agree: overwhelming users with options is really quite bad for the UX, which is why I try to come up with alternate methods of implementing feature requests and consolidating options as much as I can. Everyone in the world prefers minimalistic. The problem is that as a designer I want the users (myself included) to be able to experience the reader in a way they would be the most comfortable with on whichever device they use, and that cannot possibly happen without adding options. It quickly becomes a balancing act: what's minimalistic and perfect for one is woefully lacking for another. Unfortunately not all options are relevant to all users, so I can understand being frustrated with some of them, but I hope you realize that there are other users who very much do prefer being able to change them according to their preferences.

Nick86 posted:

@ - Odd, when i reset my browser (so cookies are resetted) the option is lost, seems not tied to account/server settings, BUT if you said that the settings are permanent and not tied to the cookies then i have an issue on my own.
The settings are saved in localstorage, so if you keep wiping that, the reader settings will reset, yeah. I can't really help you with that other than suggesting not to do that.

Group Leader
I think that "Maximum container width" shouldn't include wide images (images which their width +100% of their height), like double (fused) pages and credit images.

Power Uploader
@Lolicore posted:

I think that "Maximum container width" shouldn't include wide images (images which their width +100% of their height), like double (fused) pages and credit images.

The amount of variation in the size of credit pages makes it difficult to detect whether a page is a credit page or not.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I'm just wondering why the maximum width shouldn't be the maximum width in all cases ?

Group Leader
@_das
Only wide credit pages should be detected.
The problem with "maximum container width" is that wide pages become very small.
So you make them full window width instead, or double the specified "maximum container width".

Custom title
Staff
Developer
First off that would reliably only work on single page mode and secondly I would need to make an extra setting for people who want the max width to actually be max width for all images. Things would get absurd quick.

yu6

Contributor
Just tryed the new reader and... I don't like where the settings are...
I like that you can choose if the page is a perfect resolution or if it's automatically adapted to the page but those settings in all pages at the right are a little ugly... why not adding them like now at the top of the page? Or why isn't there an option to remove the settings?

About the new home... I like the new posts and featured/new titles but why are the featured/new ones at the bottom?
And... the home seems a little confused... I liked it more before

Group Leader
@Teasday
Most of people use single page mode.
It can be something like this:
%25D8%25A7%25D9%2584%25D8%25AA%25D9%2582%25D8%25A7%25D8%25B7.PNG

I always find wide pages a problem in all readers. I personally think this would be a great feature.

I've been using the beta and I like the whole set up a lot, kudos all around. In particular, I like having a clear random button and a scroller for new and featured manga. The reader is cool too. I have a small problem where it won't register changes to follows (ie. changing "reading" to "completed") but other than that it's super good.

K

Group Leader
That's all well and good, but why is there an announcement at the top titled "Resignation Post" that I can't access?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@K It was moved to the contest forums.
https://mangadex.org/thread/16453/resignation-post

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Lolicore posted:
Most of people use single page mode.
I'd love to see where you're getting this data from for you to assert this so confidently. Even if it were true, that wouldn't justify it.

Power Uploader
Can you add option to permanently hide reader. I want setup reader, forget that exist and use when I need to use.

Can you add option to change images by clicking mouse like old reader ?

Can you change beta site top navbar height like on main site ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread