MangaDex v3 is coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
would it be possible to make the manga image pop up when searching for it?
Something like that: https://imgur.com/rgq9oBB

also, will it open the side bar every time it is in a new chapter? I know I can hide it, but shouldn't there be a option to it to normally not appear?

another thing. In the long strip mode when I click to go to the next chapter, in the side bar it says the chapter changed, but it's still the same.

@Holo

Looking at the search system again, I think it's missing a few crucial features that I hope you can add eventually. First is adding a method to sort in certain orders. I can't determine what the current order is based off, but being able to have it sort based on followers/rating/chapter amount in ascending and descending order would be very useful. Second is being able to put restrictions on the search results based on followers/rating/chapter amount, so limiting it based on less than or greater than certain numbers in the criteria. Third is restricting the manga that are shown in search results (whether by default or not) based on language. It's great and all that Joker Fansub is scanlating a lot of the smaller manga into Spanish, but a lot of people can't read it, and finding a new manga only to see that they can't read it because there are no chapters in their language is frustrating. Perhaps make it default to their display language (with an option to add English chapters since so many people can read some English). Fourth is adding a way to add multiple authors or artists to a series. Yesterday, I noticed that Dorabase had two authors listed, but since you can add only one, it had both authors as one, so when you clicked, you only would see one series even though Fujiko F. Fujio has his own series. I know it would be very low priority, but it would be nice.

Edit: also would be nice if the system could recognise that chapters numbered 1.1, 1.2, etc. would actually count for chapter 1 so it wouldn't appear as a missing chapter. Also would be nice to be able to hide chapters not in preferred language.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
SnowingSilently posted:

Also would be nice to be able to hide chapters not in preferred language.
Has been a feature since almost the very beginning

Power Uploader
@SnowingSilently posted:
First is adding a method to sort in certain orders.

You can sort if you search manga only.

@SnowingSilently posted:
Edit: also would be nice if the system could recognise that chapters numbered 1.1, 1.2, etc. would actually count for chapter 1 so it wouldn't appear as a missing chapter. Also would be nice to be able to hide chapters not in preferred language.

This wouldn't work as decimals are often left for extras so the actual chapter itself might be missing.

@SnowingSilently posted:
Third is restricting the manga that are shown in search results (whether by default or not) based on language.

This doesn't make much sense either as some may be looking for a certain manga on MangaDex and may add a duplicate manga entry if they see it's not there.

@SnowingSilently posted:
Fourth is adding a way to add multiple authors or artists to a series.

As far as I know, this is a planned feature but won't be added until after v3.

@darasu posted:
another thing. In the long strip mode when I click to go to the next chapter, in the side bar it says the chapter changed, but it's still the same.

Known bug. Should be fixed in the next iteration of the beta reader.

@darasu posted:
also, will it open the side bar every time it is in a new chapter?

Yes it will. It doesn't make sense to hide it when a new chapter is opened because there might be a skip in chapters (i.e. Chapter 1 -> Chapter 4) that won't be apparent unless the side bar is open.

@Teasday [I'm not seeing the feature. I don't see it in either quick search or normal search. Do I have to do something in particular to see it? I don't know how I didn't see it before, my bad.

@_das Searching by manga only (through the Quick search or the regular search) doesn't show it. For my third feature request, I was referring to default as in you set your preferred language, and it would only show chapters and manga of that language. But Teasday says it already exists, so I guess we don't need it.

What about a way to override missing chapters then?

Edit: also, thank you for all the hard work so far!

Power Uploader
@SnowingSilently

You are not searching for manga correctly. Either click "Manga" and then "Search" or hit "All" and select "Manga" and search in the quick search. This should lead you to a page that has more enhanced searching options with search by author, artist, genre etc.

There are other reasons why the sidebar shouldn't be hidden by default such as different groups doing the same chapter.

@_das That's not what I mean. I know you can search by artist/author/genres. What I'm talking about is being able to sort by the rating/followers/chapter amount. I don't see it anywhere. You display those values, but they are not sortable. Also, come to think of it, being able to sort by update frequency in your filtered language would also be useful.p

Edit: is your second paragraph addressed to me? I didn't mention anything about the sidebar.

Power Uploader
@SnowingSilently

Step 1: http://beta.mangadex.org/
Step 2: Click the Manga dropdown next to the logo.
Step 3: Select Search
Step 4: Search for whatever you want.
Step 5: Scroll down to the results.
Step 6: Press the arrows next to each column header to sort by whichever you please.

Update frequency is inaccurate right now as many manga are backlogged right now (all scanlations are not uploaded) so I doubt that's a good idea.

@_das Ah, I see what I've been doing wrong. I always use the detailed view, so I don't have any of that to click. I guess this is where I request that it be somehow added to the detailed view, but expanded view is already superior for everything except looking at cover art. Kinda weird that the detailed view has less control over the details, but whatever.

In preparation for MangaDex v3, I made a Firefox extension to perform some toggleable tweaks to the site. It allows you to make the Reader look and feel at least a little more minimalist, as well as freeing up a little more vertical real estate for the actual images. I made a post about it in General ( https://mangadex.org/thread/15505/mangadex-enhancement-suite-mdesu ), but since it's specific to MangaDex v3, I thought I'd post a little message about it here, too.

not sure if intended, but if you search for something and try to put in follow or plan to read from the search page, it won't work, you have to open manually each one of them to follow

also, when reading in long strip mode there should be an option to load the entire thing. It's terrible to read those colored manhwas since you scroll down the limit and have to wait for it to load more 5 panels. At first I thought it was an internet problem, but it loads the entire thing in less than a second in the normal website version.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@darasu posted:

also, when reading in long strip mode there should be an option to load the entire thing.
Sorry, not happening, it's not good for the image servers. The old reader loading the whole thing was an unwanted product of how the feature was coded.

I am going to try to improve the preloading in long strip mode though, the system I put in place for the time being is a little too simplistic.

Miku best girl
Admin
The legacy reader loading every image in long strip is why that feature isn't available to guests. In order to allow guests to also use long strip, it has to be coded this way to save bandwidth.

Just saw v3 for the first time when it temporarily popped up on the main page... I'm not really a fan. The main page was cluttered and hard to read. The buttons at the top of the page didn't work (probably because it was an error or a partial rollout) meaning I couldn't see if there was a setting to revert to the previous display. Also the settings in the new reader weren't obvious about what they were changing or how. The right panel on the new reader also simultaneously gave the impression of wasting a lot of space due to only really using the top and being slightly cluttered (due to the keyboard shortcut display, which wasn't explained very well and may not have rendered correctly due to the bugs from the partial rollout).

EDIT: fixed a really dumb sentence

Miku best girl
Admin
You can revert to the old view on the homepage in user settings.

Current front page has tiled view that is somewhat hard to follow with my eyes.
nWXW4hX.png

Could there be an option to have a button for tile or list view like MAL has.
Tile view
ZdSorpQ.png
List view
DfxfCZT.png

EDIT: I'm blind

I feel stupid now.I looked for this setting but didn't find it first time. Now I instantly saw it.

Power Uploader
I don't know if this supposed as bug or not, in beta group box is floating and not stick into group input (only when the list showed above it)

Beta:
Screenshot_81.jpg

Live:
Screenshot_82.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread