MangaDex v3 is coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Reading history added.

Frontpage will show you last read chapter, and the history will show the past 10.

Hi guys. I just noticed that the reader in the beta site is not following a sorted list of chapters. And, the drop-down list is displaying is also unsorted. I don't know where to post a bug report. So, if this is not the correct place, please let me know. Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/jDz1n8r

i like the front page.. but the viewing of the manga itself is meh to me.. Seems too complicated and too many buttons. I read in long strip, so just loading in long strip is for me. Basically what i have set right now lol

Staff
Admin
@higira

Once you set the new reader to long strip, it will work exactly the same, the rest of the options are just that, optional.

The new reader also has the benefit of not trying to load all pages instantly, you can choose to set it between 1-5 pages ahead for a much smoother reading experience on slower internet/mobile.

Group Leader
Hm

The beta is pretty cool really.

The reader changes are also very good, but i think it's UI\UX should be polished a lot more. Like, the sidebar is not even funny. Or the progress bar in the bottom should stand out a lot less than it does now. Not really an issue after some reading, but making it smaller looks like a good idea.
The vanilla reader looks much better anyway.

Homepage has the same problem. It seriously looks overcomplicated and cluttered. Not really a fan of new design on this one.

The letter of manga\follows etc in the header look less defined on 1680x1050 in Chrome. It is not an eyesore, but you notice it pretty much instantly. I think upscaling it just a little bit will work splendidly.

Also, many thanks for adding the ability to choose the amount of preloaded pages. It really does wonders to the reading experience with 2g or busy 3g internet.

riz

Question.
Does the V3 reload time got faster on heavy load/slow internet(ping in hundreds) ?
Also, does the releases on V3 have lighter version in size, for faster pages' reload?

Group Leader
I personally prefer the old reader.

I believe the width of manga page displayed shouldn't exceed 70% of the screen width and it should be on the center of the page.

In the new reader, you're confined to fit to height (too small), fit to width (too big), container and no resize (original size, which is a lot of times bigger than screen width).

Fit to height should not be the default display setting.

Miku best girl
Admin
@riz

Are you referring to the reader, or other parts of the site?

The homepage should load faster because I've optimised a few things.

Group Leader
Clipped text in Detailed list
Long manga descriptions get cut off by the border. Is it possible to adjust the height of the container depending on the description length? Or adjust it so that the description gets clipped between the lines and not cut off in the middle of the text? Adding an ellipsis would be good as well to indicate that the description was cut off and has a continuation.
DBe8WvM.png

Dropdown menu also clipped in Detailed list
Since the menu is cut off, selecting Re-reading would be a hassle because it's mostly hidden.
CtbacSh.png

Mobile version: Shortened titles in Follows
Since the columns are so narrow, the texts get cut off and end up ridiculously short that you can barely read the manga titles. Below is the comparison of the current version and the beta version viewed on my mobile (424x753 resolution). If retaining the current Follows mobile format—which looks good since you can scroll through the columns horizontally—is not an option, I suggest removing the other columns and just leave the manga title, chapter number, and age columns when in portrait mode.
UxOF0QH.png

Custom chapter delay
I'm not sure if the uploader will be improved as well in v3 but I'll throw in a suggestion just in case. Scanlation groups would find an override custom delay option useful for fixing any mistakes discovered after uploading a chapter. Or at least the group leaders could have that option. And I think some groups would also like to have a timestamp delay for planned releases.

As always, thank you for the latest modifications to the beta.

Dex-chan lover
I don't mind the direction you guys are taking with the reader, but as it stands, it's terrible. I have a few simple suggestions.
- Make the sidebar hidden by default
It's terribly cluttered. A new reader would certainly be overwhelmed.
It may be ideal to include an option to hide it completely, including the side button. I'd prefer the image to be the only thing in the page.

- Add a display option which retains the current resizing.
"Fit to width" is not a good option for people with smaller monitors such as mine. The view becomes incredibly limited.
Multiple resizing options would also be good if possible. Perhaps a "Resizing" slider button.

- Add an option to hide that hideous bar on the bottom (I really hated it).
Or perhaps do away with it altogether. I found it to be wholly unnecessary.
Maybe it could be placed as another side bar, on the left. That would also have the benefit of centering the images.
Still, I'd like the option to hide it.
Lastly, I don't know if this is an option somewhere and I didn't find it, but the reader settings should be constant across different titles, or at least optionally so. It would be a huge hassle to have to reset everything every time I read something.

That's all. The new layouts are OK to me so far, but we'll see. I mostly only care about the Follows page and reader itself.
Good work as always.

Power Uploader
@raveysas After uploading a chapter that is delayed, group members can edit the release at any time. Currently, the group delay that is set on the group page is auto applied to the chapter being uploaded. If you want the delay to be different, you'll have to change the delay time on your group page prior to uploading said chapter. Finally, the delay on a chapter cannot be changed as of this moment.

I agree with @lolicore. I noticed the same problem when I was trying out v3; the page size options result in the page being either too small or too large for the screen. Also as I previously mentioned, pages should definitely be centered.

@bracket, @Lolicore: The reader developer mentioned upthread that specific-size resizing has been implemented and will appear whenever mangadex beta pulls in the update.

@Holo

Hi Holo, thx for the history. I have only one complaint: Can it shows on which chapter you ended up for last 10 manga(s)? I think this history is rather useless for people who have just read 10 chapters of 1 manga.

riz

@Holo, reader main pages'. if i may give a example, mangaPark giving a chooses of few version of releases like a version which is updated with large size hi resolution which cover an entire screen, and another which is less in size of the file yet contain almost same quality despite only half to 1/3 of the later version.

Group Leader
@Holo
Browsing on the beta, and I noticed it's missing a couple of buttons while reading the chapters I've uploaded: Edit and Delete buttons are missing for individual chapters.

Power Uploader
@Holo
Not sure if this has already been implemented, but it'd be nice if for the new reader the uploader of a chapter could set some light page layout metadata, essentially saying what the first page of a chapter is for the double-page layout. (setting it to either "solo" or "two-page"), as well as possibly setting a default reading direction (right-to-left or left-to-right).

Since the first page of a chapter is generally a chapter title page appearing on the left side (in right-to-left format), it generally appears by itself.
I know you can still line it up properly in the reader, but that's something a user would have to manually do every time. It'd be nice, as an uploader, to not have to force people to do that, giving them a better reading experience overall.

I just discovered mangadex, after finding out batoto shutting down a few days ago (I know I'm really late to the "funeral").

But I just want to say this site is amazing and from just trying this beta, I think the new image viewer is the best designed viewer that I've come across.
I didn't like it at first because I thought it was locked into the height, but after finding the custom settings to suit your needs and then finding they have hotkeys to toggle, I really fell in love with it.
The responsiveness, simplicity, and no-bull approach to the menu is also great. I get annoyed quickly from viewers that have animations and all that to look fancy but usually slow things down for me and are finicky.

Keep up the amazing work, I'm really looking forward to the future of this site!

@Holo

I don't know how many people will agree with me on this, and I also understand that this won't be a big priority, but I think it would be better for the genres in the search to use a single checkbox, and cycle through the include/exclude/neutral on click. It would be easier to use as it would be possible for a user to tell right away whether a genre is included or excluded without having to go back up to the top (I use a tablet, so I cannot see it the check and X all the time). You could also make the genres three columns instead.

@Holo The beta reader is wonderful. I really like the double page rendering, and pre-fetching the next pages is quite useful.
It's important to have the possibility to zoom in and out though.
On the home page, in the section Top Manga, I'd like to have, beside ordering by Follows and Rating, a "Most viewed in a month". I know there's already a Top chapters section. but 7d is too short.
This is actually the best website to read manga from, keep it up the good work.

What's hologfx.com supposed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread