MangaDex v3 is coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
thanks for always updating and maintaining the site so that people like me who doesnt contribute much can still enjoy the site. i just wanted to say that the new reader looks very good with all those options. not sure if this has mentioned before, but it would be nice to have a personal settings to automatically close / minimize the sidebar when reading.

Dex-chan lover
I personally prefer the V2 home, mostly due to the latests updates being in a list format. The 2-columns forces me to move my eye in an awkward zigzag movement, which makes it very hard to focus and see the updates. In the list format, I can just lock my eye in a part of the screen and scroll, and then I can very quickly see what's new. As an example, compare how quickly you can find the volume/chapter's number in each layout.
And yes, I know about http://beta.mangadex.org/updates page, but that one doesn't have the other stuff like top chapters/manga, and it's a also quite hidden (takes extra clicks to get in ther if I'm in a page other than the home).

I'm also not a fan of having the comments in the home page. They don't really bother me since they are quite low in the page and I know I will very rarely read them, but even if they are not comments from chapters, spoilers definitely will happen. People just expressing their feelings about a recent development in the story could accidentally give a hint to someone who's still browsing the main page before going to read the latests chapter.

Lastly a nitpick: I think the topbar blends with the page too easily. It would be better to either bring back the dropshadow, add a border or increase the color contrast.

Sorry if I didn't have many good things to point, but I at least tried to make it constructive.

Can you just hide the header when doing scroll down in reader ? and showing up when scroll up ?

Contributor
Also, in regards to feedback on the beta, an issuetracker-like system may be better at organizing feedback than a single thread. At the very least, a dedicated subforum.

eli

Group Leader
@Teasday said:
You say the reader elements are distracting, but also want more rainbow colors in it
Visual business ≠ color. At all. Not sure how you got this from what I said. Just because something's black and white doesn't mean it can't be distracting.

Thanks for the clarification on the shift thing – that's not intuitive at all (nobody would have any way of knowing that), nor is implying tha (via a command written in that manner) conventional. I'd actually be surprised if that is actually the intended meaning.
An admin on the Discord actually told me they realized, due to my my comment, that there was a bug, in that more shortcut key commands were supposed to be displaying in the sidebar, but only three were showing for me.

Here's something I also posted in the Discord that I think sums up my feelings about the new reader:
in the end, what i like about the old reader is i can view an image on a page with white on both sides. small header, small footer. no collapsed sidebar, no css3 memes on the bottom, etc. it's simple and minimal. and good. i don't feel "boxed in" with sticky elements that don't move with the "image" section of the webpage – instead, i'm actually scrolling the whole page. also it's nice to have some whitespace on the top and bottom rather than the image coming flush up against the edges of the browser pane/window. would it be hard to keep that simplicity as an option for those who prefer it? if not, that's very disappointing, but oh well.

is a Reindeer
VIP
not an admin, just awkward social media staff not remembering things right
as for the shortcut key command thing I was talking about, I thought ^f would change to f depending on what you pressed but apparently was never the case. uh ... sorry.

My main grievance with this change to the reader is that when you use the browser's zoom function, the interface gets bigger but the actual image stays the same - it'll be a pain in the arse when reading some things as the scan size changes, requiring no zoom, 120%, sometimes 140% to easily read text etc...

With the new change you get 'fit to height' and 'fit to width' and that's (essentially) the only choice. Just not a fan of not having the choice

Power Uploader
@Cartmann
It only won't change size if you have it set to fit to container or fit height, for obvious reasons.
Set it to fit to width or no resize and you can zoom in and out.

Dex-chan lover
One piece of feedback I'd like to give would be to either make , or give the option of setting, the latest updates list as a single column list as opposed to a double one. I personally find having to look through two shorter columns at once more tedious than a single longer one.

I think the changes on the front page look pretty good overall - looking from side to side in a 2 column set up of recent posts was not an issue for me for whatever reason, and I like the extra tab for series I am following.

The new reader's tweaks will take a little getting used to, but I have not had problems with them, at least, and have even found it pretty convenient in some ways.

That being said I was browsing the v3 beta site on a 27" 2560 x 1440 screen - I wonder how it looks when viewed on a smaller (or larger, for that matter) screen, or a tablet or a phone?

Miku best girl
Admin
v3 should behave better at narrow widths - I designed everything with mobile in mind.

I definitely like the follow section which is really really really important for me. I love to see the update of the manga I follow directly with illustration and not just as a notification which makes it impossible to understand which of the manga I’m following was updated. I really appreciate this feature, thank you very much :)

@Holo The
Code:
min-width: 576px
breakpoint (and smaller) could use some tweaking. No reason the table shouldn't take up the full with of the page at that point. Comparison: https://imgur.com/a/9BQFEAC

@Truck-kun
I suggest a reading mode where pressing space will advance to the next page, but only when the current page has been fully scrolled to the bottom. This allows full-width images taller than the screen to be scrolled up and down with space/shift+space, advancing and retreating naturally at the ends. By splitting the difference between paging and long strip mode, it would keep the concept of distinct, full-size pages while still minimizing page-to-page friction.

Absolutely agree. Using spacebar for leafing to the next page after reaching the end of the current one would be perfect.

Can you please take the width of the settings expander into account when centering the page or find some way to center the page for the screen? Tad annoying having it off-center.

I can't say I'm a fan of having chapter information stored in the settings menu. It's common that I'd like to check the current chapter or change chapters and with the new design I'd have to expand the settings menu. Chapter and title information isn't visible in the URL, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread