An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - First Love with a Communication Disorder is like Mouldy Bread 3

Everyone talking about the evil church trope, but I'm actually willing to let it slide in this story. Everyone's initial reaction to Zagan is that hes not a good person, to the point where they end up genuinely surprised at the fact that hed save them from bandits and the like. And judging from the info we've been given, it seems like Zagan's kindness is the exception to the rule; while he looks down on anyone who would sacrifice people as a means to an end (when he kills people, he does so because that's his goal, not the requirement for the goal), even his best 'friend' was all but willing to do basically anything to boost his power, including sacrificing the very knight that Zagan went out of his way to save. So the church official confidently giving the order to execute Zagan isnt out of place; mages in general seem to be a legitimate threat to the public.

Dex-chan lover
this is a psychological technique called "shut the door in the face"
lk9zl7ygfu561.png

Fed-Kun's army
@Wilen
FACTS😂

Nothing like going through the comments section of a manga and seeing essays instead. Although the really long essay was an interesting read.

Also it took me way too long to realize what i was looking at😂

20210103_075240.jpg

That smol cute development is too wholesome I can't-

And that "nice" clothes would be great if it got bought as well hehe

its exactly priest like this that lead to a short and suppressed period of time in which clerics and religions were mercylessly hunted down for material gain, revenge or sport

@xXx_EpicProGamerVsSociety_xXx

I mean, if you heck history and you think about it...Religion went from being a nice thought of security to people just straight up lying and manipulating others for the sace of fortune and luxury. I think church being evil is kind of a blurry thing tho.

It all depends on how the author thinks it up tho. It can be either neat or straight up cliché and boring.

@xXx_EpicProGamerVsSociety_xXx
I mean if you look at the Vatican Church and all the shady shit they've been up to, some of the people who came out saying things about them suddenly going silent, and how they got exposed dealing with criminal organizations, and how all that shit got pushed under the rug somehow, you'll see the reasoning behind this trope.

Dex-chan lover
One work for this chapter too much cuteness 😭😭😭😭

Fed-Kun's army
MAN IM GETTING ATTACHED WITH THIS MANGA NOW NAHHHH BROO

Dex-chan lover
Well, apart from her true intentions I don't think we have to worry about her beating the MC, when she couldn't handle a random mob mage that was pretty much instantly defeated.
Btw, to all of the "oh look, the church is evil again" comments - it's really not the case this time, is it? Yeah, the priest is portrayed as vile, but the truth is mages in this world are mostly evil, or at least we've been only shown shitty ones up to this point.

Dex-chan lover
why in manga and anime the church must always be evil?
Because it is one of the most easier tropes to work with. Sure, you can just replace the church with more proper formal governmental system, but I imagine it'd took more work to make it more believable if the king was someone who allowed the kidnapping of the young girls happened. Or maybe one of his minister/vassal.

Or, you can take an existing template and follow that instead of going knee-deep into political repercussions and historical implications of the worldbuilding, i.e. pope bad, so replace him with good pope.

Dex-chan lover
The supposed-to-be-evil demon lord acting like a middle schooler in love is funny

Double-page supporter
oh I didn't expect that, The church, of course it's unexpected!

(That shit was so predictable as fuck)

Dex-chan lover
Prediction: That priest is secretly a mage, he wanted Nepheria, he wants to take her from Zagan.

Users who are viewing this thread