Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo" "Kotowaru!" - Vol. 18 Ch. 58

Dex-chan lover
Dammit.. Don't read this ending while listening to Might U...

One of the VERY rare instances where the harem end works (take notes Komi-san!).. But head maid...

Really glad I read this, and was able to finish it.

This was a good ending and the epilogue just took it the extra mile I really liked it

Dex-chan lover
I'm really happy I was able to read this to the end. Thank you for your excellent work, translators.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translations. It has been sometime since literature moved my heart so. I shed tears of joy at the ending of this chapter, for while Hero, Lady Knight, and Demon Queen have journeyed to new lands to write new tales, the stories of so many people whose lives they touched continue to prosper and grow.

Dex-chan lover
10000 thanks for completing this, at long last. I wrote up my thoughts in the main series comment area, but I'll weigh in on the Female Magician and Head Maid - Magician's soul didn't show up at the end, with Silver Tiger and Gramps. Despite offering her life, I think she broke the rules (again) and kept living somehow. Head Maid is nursing her back to health, as evidenced by her books continuing to be published. Otherwise it's just too sad for the both of them.

Oh, and can I say the secret MVP was the Eastern Forest General? If the dude in charge of the humans in Gateway City was a heel, or even a man of average capabilities, things would never have worked out. But luckily he was uncommonly wise, as well as tactical. His steady leadership was the genesis of proving that humans and demons can co-exist, and of course he came in clutch during the Kuraltai, and was indispensable during the defense of the city. I know this is a story where a dozen characters played integral roles, but I just think it's cool how this guy who wasn't hyped up (like Young Merchant) or really related to the main characters at all, ended up pulling far more than his weight.

Contributor
I finally finished reading this story 3,070 days after I first picked this up...! (serious, I tracked my progress for this on MAL)
Truly, thank you so much for the scanlations!

It really amuses me how translators don't give a damn about things they are translating. I bet they don't even read the previous chapters if they pick up unfinished translations. I mean the names of people and places that keep changing ("spirit world", who even thought of that?), and one of the last translators even decided to keep honorifics. You had one job guys! To keep consistent the thing you are translating! Now it's a big mess. Meh, thanks anyway, you took your precious time so we are at least able to read it.
The guy who explained the changed names around chapter 30 did a good job, it's good to know there are people that care.

Dex-chan lover
Finally got around to finish this. I have a few gripes with the story in the last arc.
However, I'm glad this series got a closure and now I can forget about it.

Dex-chan lover
While I know that the fields of joy (or whatever they were called exactly) were teased by the Archbishop, I still can't really help but feel like that ending for hero/maou/knight feels kind of... hollow? Idk. Feel real bad for the head maid, though. :(

Glad to finally get to read this series after all this time though, after watching the anime when it aired and then finding out that none of the manga adaptations had ever been fully translated.

edit: Also, I'm surprised that the Library doesn't seem like it's ever elaborated on. It always seemed like it was a supernatural existence with knowledge spanning further than the world, so I expected some kind of further diving into that later on once the idea of a repeating world / the old world came more into focus.

Also, a little bummed that the three sons + the southern leader never seemed to figure out that the crimson scholar was the demon queen in the course of the story, but oh well.

Just discovered this was finished. oh well waited 6 years, what is 2 extra months. Glad to finally read the ending

This ending leaves me feeling kinda empty inside. And slightly disappointed the hero, knight and demon queen didn't,t even get to see how the impacted the world.

Dex-chan lover
Now, the sequel:
Zentralbibliothek_Zürich_Das_Kapital_Marx_1867.jpg

To the guy who complained about names being all over the place:

MaoYuu's characters don't even have actual names; they have titles based on occupation or status. This, combined with the piecemeal scanlation release - I count at least 6 different groups, with the final 2 volumes having no fewer than 3 different translators - make it impossible to adhere to an "official" naming convention. At some point you stop giving a fuck whether it's supposed to be "Elder Maid" or "Older Maid" or whatever and trust the reader to understand. Then there's shit which is just completely wrong, like the use of "Heaven's Spire" in chapter 53. A spire isn't a stairway, it's the pointy thing on top of churches. I don't know what the TL was thinking here.

The word used for the underground demon world was 魔界 (lit. "magic world"). There's not really a 1:1 in English, so translators will take some liberties. "Spirit world", "Demon world", "Underworld", etc. are all fine. Mizukami's new manga, Saihate no Solte, uses the same word, and it was briefly translated as "Demon Realm" with nary a demon in sight before changing to "Blightlands". So it's really down to whatever makes sense in context.

As as aside, there was a naming mistranslation that appeared several times in both the official release and fan versions. For example, in chapters 45 and 54, you'll see a reference to the "House of Callichthys". The Japanese here was カリクティス (Karictis). Google turns up a genus of catfish, hence the translator threw their hands up in the air and went with that. But it was actually a reference to Rubiss Apisto Karictis, the creator goddess from Dragon Quest. The more you know.

Users who are viewing this thread