Maria no Danzai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Is that love or or is it arrogance

Group Leader
Thanks for scanlating this.

Heads up that page 39 and 40 are a double spread, but they're uploaded as single pages.

Dex-chan lover
im hoping for good revenge. now im some batsh*t power of friendship and love plot happens out of nowhere and lets those m*rder*rs live then this is going to be real disappointing.
giphy.gif

Headed by the trilingual translator, Touka, Scanlation No Danzai takes a stab at this newly released, trope-filled, emotional-grab revenge series.

The translation is a little rough around the edges, with misplaced commas, missing apostrophes, and grammatical errors appearing intermittently throughout the chapter. It would be worthwhile for this small group to invest some time into finding a suitable proofreader to eliminate these errors.

In true amateur style, the group employs CCWildWords for their dialogue, a font that has effectively become the Comic Sans of scanlation. In conjunction with the generic choice of font, the bubble shaping is generally acceptable, though the two introductory pages especially prove to be anything but a smooth read. The conventions surrounding the crossbar-I appear to be foreign to this group, as they consistently fail to recognize its erroneous presence. The group also sporadically translates SFX, not daring to take a stab at the more difficult examples.
The diary entries starting from page 49 were handled in a particularly disappointing manner, and appear to have been thrown on without much thought other than placing the date in the top right. It would have been nice to see horizontal lines and properly placed text, something that would not have taken a particularly great amount of effort.

Pages 39 and 40 are intended to form a full spread*, though here they are not combined.
Oddly, the pages appear to have been quite severely upscaled following the completion of the typesetting, with the exception of pages 56 and 57, a seemingly unintended anomaly.

An excellent start, but a considerable amount of improvement is necessary.
5/10

*It is common among doujin translators to leave spreads uncombined. This is not the case for traditional scanlation.

Dex-chan lover
I would've gone with “Mary”, as “マリア” [Maria] is the Japanese name for Jesus's mother. Tho, “Maria” is certainly defensible on foreignizational grounds. Most people will not understand the 1:1 naming scheme tho, and I think that's a loss. There's a clear Jesus parallel with Kiritaka.

As for the chapter itself, there's definitely a straining of suspension of disbelief with the insane bullying (as is often the case), but I think that's not gonna be an issue. If the series is more serious, this will probably just be the inciting incident and not much more. On the other hand, if her revenge becomes insane too, then this was just setting the baseline. Either way it works. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic. I dunno. We'll see.
I mean there is a huge bullying problem in Japan but maybe not on this level I remember reading about a singer that it was confirmed that when he was in school he threw disabled kids down stairs and forced them to eat literal shit.

Banned
The kid managed to get recordings of all the abuse he suffered at their hands & surprised that he managed to hid this from them. Even if they claim it was forged, who is to say what they did wasn't forged as well. Really hope she makes them suffer & I draw comparison to Juujika no Rokunin but hope it doesn't get dragged out as much. Thanks for the translation & look forward to what she has cooking for all of them.
Hope it's not like juujika no rokunin, they drag the plot too long and it get boring

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what's up with the ringleader at the end
She doesn't have the proof of his involvement, probably he always careful to not get caught into the video.

still holding out for that one panel of Mom(???) being nude, should pop up in some other form later on
It's a fake video, he mentioned that the voice is different.

Dex-chan lover
The reason I hate school at my time is the bully. Just why we can't give verdict for bully to make them been bully also?

The reason I hate school at my time is the bully. Just why we can't give verdict for bully to make them been bully also?
for me i was bullied for race, religion, and also my family wealth (i'm just below average but the bully is poor). Anyway as i was saying so many reasons means not that i'm bullied by the students but by the teachers also. Nothin you could do, what i did was fight like a beast (punch, kick, scratch, bite) while they stop physically but i'm still bullied socially like always alone, never have group for class project, singled out by the teacher.

What you can do is, join the bully. At least for me now my bully is only the teachers

Users who are viewing this thread