Maria no Danzai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Is that love or or is it arrogance

Dex-chan lover
:win: Dead is the man
:win: Testicles on the pan.
Fuck this shit I am out- is what I want to say but looks like they done with the bullying in one chapter and there isn't much left of him to be bullied. Will come back for a binge later.

Dex-chan lover
I really hope this is a revenge manga that doesn't drag things out just for more chapters, like Juujika no Rokunin.

Dex-chan lover
Oh nice i was looking for this manga,
thanks for chapter

And the way her son died is one of my worst nightmare (Ran over by vehicle)
It really is, my mom was hit by a drunk driver and she barely got out alive, had to go through multiple recoveries and surgery was just terrible how much damage it caused.

Dex-chan lover
i can understand that they might target the mom, but son's line of thought is pretty... didnt really think much through. granted it could really be a rush of events for him? or way too bullied to even think straight?

the videos should look like enough evidence against them, so i dont see why he couldnt have posted those on the interwebs and get action accrued over that. ruin their social lives n such. unless there is a larger power at play? (like one of the bullies still able to be a danger to them even after it all, maybe defamation lawsuits?). if voice wasn't mom's in that video then its plausible to call it a fake, is it that big of a risk? I didnt read the whole thing tbh but it felt like there were more optipns to take

Dex-chan lover
Welp here we have yet another revenge gore manga. Already we know logic is gonna be thrown out of the window since the truck did not even notice a person in the middle of the road, specially since it was clearly a curve, so it must have driven a little slower.

But of course the important thing is going to be the gore the kids receive. I just hope that it goes as direct as possible and does not commit the mistake that Juujika no Rokunin had, where a moral aspect was introduced in the beginning, only to disregard it for the rest of the series.

Another thing we have to worry about is how long is it going to be. There are only 5 kids and unless the do follow Juujika no Rokunin again, it should be fairly short.

Dex-chan lover
This is so sad. Will be waiting for the sweet revenge

Btw she got nicknamed Maria, probably refering to how St. Mary held her son's (Jesus) dead body in her arms.

Contributor
It's an English translation of a Japanese work set in Japan where the name was specifically and deliberately chosen. You may have had a mite of ground to stand on if not for the fact that the author gives the furigana マリア to 聖母 (which is normally pronounced せいぼ)-- a reality that's juxtaposed with the protagonist's name instead being "Mari", or マリ.

Trying to localize in the way you suggest impairs the context for the epithet affixed to her at the end of the chapter-- and that's on top of your suggestion intrinsically being a presumptuous overrule of deliberate authorial intention.

Even if it's for the sake of others understanding (and a literate adult that knows what a search engine is would easily understand-- I mean, it's not as there's nobody in the Anglosphere that's named "Maria"), your suggestion would be best as an after-chapter translation note.
First of all, domesticational translation is not localization. In English, we call the Virgin mother of Jesus “Mary”. That is her name in this language. It is not localization to translate it as such. As I said in my original post, there's certainly a foreignizational case for “Maria”, but it's just not compelling to me in this case because most people are not going to make the connection. And your point about search engines is just… childish and nonserious.

Secondly, there is (as of yet) not a meaningful distinction between Mari–Mary and Mari–Maria. C'mon man.

Dex-chan lover
First of all, domesticational translation is not localization. In English--
This is a Japanese work set in Japan, with Japanese people.

The provided furigana for a kanji compound that would normally be pronounced "sei-bo" instead spells out, 1:1, "Maria".

That same "Maria" is the epithet given to her at the end of the chapter. The word is deliberately used in a Japanese context.

We're talking about a proper noun-- a name. You wouldn't do what you're suggesting in real life to someone with the name "Maria"-- "Mary" and "Maria" are only equivalent in the sense that they're cognates, not in the sense that you can arbitrarily substitute one for the other.

Your assertion hinges on what you cannot prove, and those assumptions aren't good enough to support the action of anglicizing a name that the author goes out of their way to spell out the way they do. Your suggestion risks being incongruous with future writing in ways you're not even interested in considering. It is an outright alteration of content without consideration for authorial intent-- and that's despite you understanding some of that intent as it stands in this chapter.

Even if one were to do it, they'd have to explain the change, and at that point, it'd be better that it be clarified that "Maria" is cognate with "Mary" in a translation note.

As I said in my original post, there's certainly a foreignizational case for “Maria”, but it's just not compelling to me in this case because most people are not going to make the connection. And your point about search engines is just… childish and nonserious.
You seriously do not understand literate adults in the Anglosphere if you think they're going to be flummoxed by reading "Maria" instead of "Mary". Numerous Americans and British people are named "Maria". Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame exists, and is well known.

You're being unnecessarily patronizing, if not sorely out of touch. Me trusting a reader to look up things they're unclear about-- much less a well known cognate pair-- isn't "childish" in the slightest.

Secondly, there is (as of yet) not a meaningful distinction between Mari–Mary and Mari–Maria.
I don't know what you're answering to, and I can't tell what point you're trying to make.

Last edited:
this is one of the first and rare times a pilot chapter has me genuinely sick to my stomach.
bookmarked :D

Double-page supporter
I would've gone with “Mary”, as “マリア” [Maria] is the Japanese name for Jesus's mother. Tho, “Maria” is certainly defensible on foreignizational grounds. Most people will not understand the 1:1 naming scheme tho, and I think that's a loss. There's a clear Jesus parallel with Kiritaka.

Chapter 2's title: "Saint Maria in the Infirmary" is very clear. This is obviously a distortion of the Christian Mary, with this "maria" prostituting herself and cooking up plans to have vengeance - in stark contrast to the original Mary, mother of Jesus. "Ecce ancilla Domini, fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum."

By the way, in japanese manga and anime, Christians are almost always some kind of psycho weirdos who always act out of place, have bizarre behaviour and beliefs, insidious, duplicitous, nefarious, cult-like, sect-like, plotting, wanting to undermine the order of things etc. "They might appear to be normal on the surface, but they have a dark side that wants to destroy you." This manga fits very well into this category, with sheer falsification and lies.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
By the way, in japanese manga and anime, Christians are almost always some kind of psycho weirdos who always act out of place, have bizarre behaviour and beliefs, insidious, duplicitous, nefarious, cult-like, sect-like, plotting, wanting to undermine the order of things etc. "They might appear to be normal on the surface, but they have a dark side that wants to destroy you."
Damn Japan is so based.

Double-page supporter
Damn Japan is so based.

Not really, not when it comes to Mary anyways. The protestants degrade Mary similarly to to japs. Especially the "independent baptist" and "charismatics" and many more. Usually with the same lies and distortions. Ohh yeah, and dont forget what is written about Mary in the talmud.

Dex-chan lover
I'm irritated. I hate this manga.
But this is the type of manga that is so I won't rate it down

Dex-chan lover
Damn, her son seemed like a sweet guy. I sort of understand the notion of not wanting to worry your parents, but man, what were you hoping for? That they would get tired and bored? That another kid would jump in to take your place? That some divine retribution would finally find them?
Well, it will indeed, but your death will be the trigger. And like, even if Truck-kun hadn't put a stop to your suffering, what would you have told your mother? That you were just taking a walk in the dark and slipped??

Gah, I'm getting irrationally frustrated even though I know perfectly well it's rage bait. Still, I'm in for the ride. Like many people here, also catching some Triumph/Glory vibes btw, but that show still left a weird aftertaste.

Users who are viewing this thread